FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is Marxism a required course in your country?





inuyasha
I just want to know if students must learn Marxism in your country. In China, we are required to learn it and this course take up a big percentage in your total score. Sad
I'm curious if this course is overvalued. I'm never interested in that "Materialism is correct and Idealism is ridiculous". Who cares?
ExMachina
Well considering that China is a communist country purportedly founded on such ideals, it doesn't surprise me that this is required education.

Here in the United States, students at the high school (and some times middle school) level are exposed to Marxism/Communism generally through their American history courses. So this means that the representation is through the lens of how these ideals have effected and shaped our history, so not only is it almost always biased, it doesn't take an objective look at the philosophies themselves.

For American students, you either have to study the subject matter independently or wait until you reach the college level, where there are almost always plenty of electives to take pertaining to Marxism/Communism.
inuyasha
ExMachina wrote:
Well considering that China is a communist country purportedly founded on such ideals, it doesn't surprise me that this is required education.

Here in the United States, students at the high school (and some times middle school) level are exposed to Marxism/Communism generally through their American history courses. So this means that the representation is through the lens of how these ideals have effected and shaped our history, so not only is it almost always biased, it doesn't take an objective look at the philosophies themselves.

For American students, you either have to study the subject matter independently or wait until you reach the college level, where there are almost always plenty of electives to take pertaining to Marxism/Communism.

Very Happy Thanks for your reply~ Actually my teacher told us Marxism would take place of those religions, and thus fulfill our deserted heart Wink Sounds weird doesn't it?
gandalfthegrey
I don't have a problem with Marxism being required, IF other systems of government are also presented (Libertarianism, Anarchism, Capitalism, etc.)

In many western countries, there is a lack of political literacy amongst the populace. This apathy is not a good thing.
Peterssidan
It was one of all the isms we learned about. marxism, communism, socialism, .. what was the difference now again? It wasn't really a big part. If you knew nothing about marxism and enough about the rest you could still pass the course.
lrj945
Peterssidan wrote:
It was one of all the isms we learned about. marxism, communism, socialism, .. what was the difference now again? It wasn't really a big part. If you knew nothing about marxism and enough about the rest you could still pass the course.


You are so lucky. Actually many teachers who teach us marxism in china have poor teaching. Few of them really have read the Capital by Marx over.
daselang
inuyasha wrote:

Very Happy Thanks for your reply~ Actually my teacher told us Marxism would take place of those religions, and thus fulfill our deserted heart Wink Sounds weird doesn't it?


ahaha,Chinese have engaged in the ages that golden calf is idolized thanks to Marxism.Since there isn't not god,nor belief,Most of them pursues money extremely,regardless of the social morals ,expecially the malfeasants .
Put aside the confusion wheather Marxism is the truth or not ,Chinese goverment making it an required course is really beyond my comprehension
yannpapa
Not in Greece
Related topics
Urban Legends About the Iraq War
More front page news NOT on the front page..
how many of the four cardinal virtues do you practice?
If you had 1,000,000 What would you so with it?
America and guns,
Share your most eXtReMe platonic friend break-up stories
Free trade versus protectionism
Nuclear power, is it required?
Communism ?
Your Favourite course in university
What's great about your country?
Anarchy
Can File Sharing Keep Alive?
A South American country to move to, perhaps?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Jobs and Learning

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.