FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forum threads 'die' ?

speeDemon
Quote:
This thread is more than three months old
No one has posted to this discussion for at least three months. Please let old threads die and do not reply to them unless you feel you have something new and valuable to contribute that absolutely must be added to make the discussion complete. Otherwise, please start a new thread in this forum instead.

I found this while randomly searching for something on some forums... I'm a bit confused, is this what people should be doing?
jmraker
It means that nobody has posted to the thread for over 90 days and if the thread looks like it's "done" it would be polite if you didn't post to just to bring it back to life with a pointless comment. When that happens people will tend to see it and not realize the discussion thread was started in 1987 and assume that they still need help or something and reply to your post.

You should start a new discussion thread and if you want you could link to and refer to the older thread.

I've seen it happen every so often in frihost.
Josso
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html

2. k.

Sometimes it happens though, depends what you define as a good reason.
ExMachina
Ah yes, the inevitable thread necromancy that plagues forums everywhere.

If the date of the last post in a thread isn't even in the same calendar year, then there should be no reason to post in that thread unless it's been stickied.
Josso
ExMachina wrote:

If the date of the last post in a thread isn't even in the same calendar year, then there should be no reason to post in that thread unless it's been stickied.

I tend to agree good sir, +1 internets for you.
ocalhoun
ExMachina wrote:

Usually no reason to post in it.

Occasionally though, there can be a good reason for bringing very old threads back to life.

Bringing a 3 year old thread back to life with "yeah, me too!" : Bad.
Bringing a 3 year old thread back to life with "well, actually, in the last three years, more research has been done, and it significantly changes this by..." : good.
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
ExMachina wrote:

Usually no reason to post in it.

Occasionally though, there can be a good reason for bringing very old threads back to life.

Bringing a 3 year old thread back to life with "yeah, me too!" : Bad.
Bringing a 3 year old thread back to life with "well, actually, in the last three years, more research has been done, and it significantly changes this by..." : good.

Well said!
Josso's link to forum rules (scary to think someone besides myself has read them)
hunnyhiteshseth
I have a confusion here --

As per forum rules you are required to search for right thread before creating a new thread. Suppose, while searching for a topic you encounter a discussion -- may be say a month old -- totally relevant to you. So, what are you supposed to do? -- Post in that thread or create a new thread?
Zuex
A lot of threads are dying in this forum, I requested an account change and nothings happened lol - Is the Frihost staff away?
standready
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
As per forum rules you are required to search for right thread before creating a new thread. Suppose, while searching for a topic you encounter a discussion -- may be say a month old -- totally relevant to you. So, what are you supposed to do? -- Post in that thread or create a new thread?

If you have something relevant to add to post, no matter how old, then 'yes' reply to that thread. That is far better than starting a new post about same topic.

The point of the quote in this original post is dealing with mindless or worthless replies that add NO value to the thread.
ocalhoun
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

My rule of thumb is that you are only required to add to the old thread instead of making a new one if the old thread is still on the first page of topics.
Older than that, and I don't blame anybody for not finding it, since the new search engine is more difficult to use.* And manually sifting through lots of pages is too much work to expect out of everybody who makes a new topic.
(I still reserve the right to combine the old and new ones together though... especially in cases of topics that tend to pop up over and over, such as 'what's your favorite animal'.)

Of course, if you want to revive an old thread rather than making a new one, you can no matter how old it is, as long as you have something substantial to add to it; some good reason to revive it.

*Necessary though, to reduce demands on server resources and keep Frihost running fast. The old (phpbb default) search had more options and made it generally easier to find things, but with so many users, server resources needed to be freed up, and since the search used a lot of resources, it was replaced by one that used much less.
standready
Today! A perfect example of what NOT to bring back from the dead
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21049-2.html
Three year old post. If closer to holiday and 'maybe' if poster had actually answered original question.

And this even older post
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-20850.html
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
Today! A perfect example of what NOT to bring back from the dead
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21049-2.html
Three year old post. If closer to holiday and 'maybe' if poster had actually answered original question.

And this even older post
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-20850.html

Those were made by the sig-link spammers anyway...
*ahem*
DELETED
Ah, that felt good.

You know though... you could just report those... and they would get similar treatment.
Though, I suppose there isn't any reporting category for 'zombie thread' or 'necromancer post'...
*suggestion time!*