FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bestheda is sueing Mojang!

foumy6
I don't have a link to the world of notch post, but the company Bestheda is sueing notch and mojang for tyring to get the name of there work in progress Scrolls and bestheda is claiming that they cant do that because of bestheda's game series The Elder Scrolls. If someone could post a link to the article I think that would be nice for people. I can't get one at the moment but when I can I will post one here. Please feel free to post any other info you know. And for the poeple who don;t know who mojang is they are the makers of the popular new game Minecraft.
achowles
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/08/bethesda-and-notchs-scrolls-off-explained/

There's a link with a detailed explanation.

I don't know if it will help much though. I still don't understand this madness at all. Firstly, Bethesda have two major, major releases due out any minute in the form of Rage and Skyrim. Then they go and do something this stupid. They attack the little guy. Someone who has just hi the big time and has won the full support and the ear of literally millions of people. But still very much the little guy next to Bethesda.

Over what? A word they're not even actually claiming ownership of (until now, seemingly). Insanity.

If you ever wanted to test the theory that there is no such thing as bad publicity then this right here is an ideal place to test it.
Josso
This seems a little OTT - almost like picking on the little guy for the sake of it.

Just saw this on Notch's blog:

Quote:
Hey, Bethesda! Let’s settle this!

I am back, and I am excited.

Marriage has been wonderful so far, and nobody sabotaged my computer while I was gone.

The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:

Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, let’s do that instead!
I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, you select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.

If we win, you drop the lawsuit.

If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.

Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.

I am serious, by the way.

Excellent
driftingfe3s
Bestheda is crazy. I hope they don't win.
foumy6
Yea but from what I have read more about it, it wasnt even Bethesda that really started it. It was some law office in sweeden. I really don't see this going anywhere. I think that they will hopefully settle this considering at Minecon Notch will be giving free copies of scrolls and some other game to all attendents.
achowles
foumy6 wrote:
Yea but from what I have read more about it, it wasnt even Bethesda that really started it. It was some law office in sweeden.

If Bethesda didn't want this suit then they should probably be suing this law firm, not Notch.
foumy6
Yea you are very right in saying that really I thinks this whole thing is stupid I mean why sue iver one word that is the same in the title? If thats the case then why doesn't rockstar games sue the makers of the game grand turismo, because of their game series Grand theft auto so really bethseda doesnt have much of a case at all so I really don't see this going anywhere.
achowles
foumy6 wrote:
Yea you are very right in saying that really I thinks this whole thing is stupid I mean why sue iver one word that is the same in the title? If thats the case then why doesn't rockstar games sue the makers of the game grand turismo, because of their game series Grand theft auto so really bethseda doesnt have much of a case at all so I really don't see this going anywhere.

Well, for starters, it's Gran Turismo. Not Grand...

Secondly, Grand is a much more common word in the dictionary than Scrolls. That can make a huge difference in trademark battles, as was proven recently in the Edge debacle (if you're interested in games industry lawsuits then you owe it to yourself to check that one out - amazing stuff).

But yeah, it all comes back to how Bethesda never trademarked scrolls in the first place. So yeah.
foumy6
does anyobdy have any updates about this? Has notch posted anything else about it?
Josso
foumy6 wrote:
does anyobdy have any updates about this? Has notch posted anything else about it?

Yes... about a week ago...

Quote:
Update on the “Scrolls” lawsuit, and a list of games

I’ve received some questions about what the status of the Bethesda lawsuit thing is. I don’t have much news, but I can try to summarize the recent events in a colorful way:

Lawyers have been sending papers back and forth, threatening each other with deadlines and court dates. “Why don’t we settle this in a mature way?”, one party asks the other. “Your MOTHER settles things in mature ways”, the other party cleverly retorts, “because of her age.”
Last thing I heard, we were a couple of weeks past a “super seriously, we will sue you for real this time” deadline, and letters are still being sent back and forth.

In other news, here’s a list of games I’ve been playing recently, and my thoughts on them:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Charmingly retro, with a totally rubbish tranq sniper rifle. Unfair boss fights, fun level layout. The level up perks are kind of uninteresting, but it’s still a lot of fun. Inventory management feels very Resident Evil 4, for good and for bad.
[edit: This makes it sound like I don’t like the game! That is incorrect. I love it!!]

Legends of Yore
I’m just getting started playing this more seriously. It’s a low res graphical roguelike made by one guy who I happen to know. Available on both phone types and on pc. I haven’t gotten deep into it yet, but it seems to have everything I want.

The Binding of Isaac
I got sneak peeks of this game, and it’s shaping up nicely. It’s a very lightweight action roguelike with plenty of dark humor and zelda references. Danny B’s done a great job on the soundtrack again, even if it makes me a bit depressed.

Diablo III Beta
No, just kidding, I didn’t get in. Sad
Hello_World
quote by achowles:
Quote:
Secondly, Grand is a much more common word in the dictionary than Scrolls. That can make a huge difference in trademark battles, as was proven recently in the Edge debacle (if you're interested in games industry lawsuits then you owe it to yourself to check that one out - amazing stuff).

But yeah, it all comes back to how Bethesda never trademarked scrolls in the first place. So yeah.

Grand may well be a more common word in the general use of words...

But Bethesda is hardly the first to include scrolls in 'fantasy'.

'Scrolls' are quite common, suggestive of historical times, and I really don't see how Bethesda can claim them as theirs.

If you ask me, it is the same as if 'Matty's Burgers' was sueing 'Fred's Burgers' for the use of the word 'Burger'.

I'm a big fan of the Elder Scrolls but this is nonsense.
foumy6
Hello_World wrote:
quote by achowles:
Quote:

Grand may well be a more common word in the general use of words...

But Bethesda is hardly the first to include scrolls in 'fantasy'.

'Scrolls' are quite common, suggestive of historical times, and I really don't see how Bethesda can claim them as theirs.

If you ask me, it is the same as if 'Matty's Burgers' was sueing 'Fred's Burgers' for the use of the word 'Burger'.

I agree with every word you just said.
foumy6
So it has been a bit now does anyone have any updates?
Josso
Sep 29th...
Quote:
In other news, we’re totally going to court over the whole Scrolls / Skyrim thing.

We are claiming one thing. They are claiming another. We’ve tried to negotiate, but we can’t reach an agreement, so we’re going to court. I’m personally very opinionated about things like these. I asked our lawyers, and apparently the documents ZeniMax submitted became public once they were filed.

So here they are: [ [url=magnet:?xt=urn:btih:523CA68B6D56CFA402591878AD1CAA3CAF750EC2&dn=st%c3%a4mningsans%c3%b6kan&tr=udp%3a//tracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80/announce]Click here if you have a decent torrent program installed[/url] ]

It’s in Swedish, it’s unedited, and I haven’t read it myself. Our lawyers have, though.

Speaking of lawyers, they told me that:

1. essentially it all boils down to whether the relevant public are likely to be confused into thinking that our “Scrolls” game is connected with Bethesda or its games, taking all the circumstances into account; and
2. apparently the “moron in a hurry” doesn’t count (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_moron_in_a_hurry)

Oct 3rd...
Quote:
I just saw this:

http://kotaku.com/5846111/mojang-v-bethesda-or-i-hate-it-when-mommy-and-daddy-fight

I feel the need to clarify a couple of things:

We realized we should apply for the trademark “Minecraft” to protect our brand. When doing so, we also sent in an application for “Scrolls”. When Bethesda contacted us, we offered both to change the name to “Scrolls: <some subtitle>” and to give up the trademark.

They refused on both counts.

Whatever reason they have for suing us, it’s not a fear of us having a trademark on the word “Scrolls”, as we’ve offered to give that up.

Source: Notch
suitza
That is just insane... I hope that Notch wins. Minecraft is nice game. It is quite unbelievable that some company can claim that word scrolls is their's.

Quote:

I agree with you Hello_World.
foumy6
I can say but I do not have a link so if someone does that would be greats notch did win the case as far as I know.