FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bored with the subsilver theme? Try this.

mahirh
i was bored to hell with the subsilver theme and i thought i needed a change. Unfortunately, only few grease-monkey scripts exist for phpbb2, so i decided to make my own (i did steal a few bits from other phpbb3 themes) greasemonkey theme. I ended up with this(100 percent greasemonkey)

sorry for excessive use of the color blue
me will put up the first version of this greasemonkey theme as soon as exams are over for me Smile
ExMachina
Looks very nice...a little too dark for my personal tastes and I'm not too sure about the text fields being blue. Other then that, I certainly approve.

Curious how Frihost only has one available forum theme....
loremar
Hahaha. Obviously those are your favorite color combinations. Blue and Black. Nice taste though. Very Happy
Zuex
Looks pretty decent Smile
mahirh
thanks for nice comments, i will try to release versions in all main colors (free) as soon as my exams are over
ExMachina wrote:

its based on phpbb2 which has only one theme included by default
Josso
What does the main index look like?
mahirh
Josso wrote:
What does the main index look like?

it looks kinda horrible because i started this using the default settings on a phpbb2 installation and i will have to fix it
shivaghimire
I like black blue but its too dark. I don't like dark, it shouldn't be as dark as this. How about light red, blue and white? anyway, it might be favorable for some users. Its good but its dark for me.
ocalhoun
ExMachina wrote:

That's because the main theme has been modified so much.
If additional themes were added, each one would have to be modified individually; adding one more theme would almost double the coding work that needed to be done; three themes would triple it, et cetera.

If* the theme changes, there will still probably only be one available.

*Supposedly, there has been a total redesign project going on for a looong time now (years). I'm not sure I believe it though.
There are more important design/coding issues right now, like making more uses for coins, making new types of competitions, or cleaning up the directory.
Nameless
The blue does kind of jar with the rest of the page. Change it to a paler blue and it might look okay.
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
The blue does kind of jar with the rest of the page. Change it to a paler blue and it might look okay.

Darker might also do well... and would reduce the overall contrast, making it easier to look at for long periods.
ExMachina
ocalhoun wrote:
ExMachina wrote:

That's because the main theme has been modified so much.
If additional themes were added, each one would have to be modified individually; adding one more theme would almost double the coding work that needed to be done; three themes would triple it, et cetera.

If* the theme changes, there will still probably only be one available.

*Supposedly, there has been a total redesign project going on for a looong time now (years). I'm not sure I believe it though.
There are more important design/coding issues right now, like making more uses for coins, making new types of competitions, or cleaning up the directory.

Well it's my understanding of my rather limited interactions with phpBB (a rather long time ago) that the themes are simply cosmetic changes. You're just changing colors and images which are unrelated to the other coding for the forums such as the points/coins system.

Though it's been awhile, so I could be wrong in this assumption.
standready
I prefer lighter backdrops because it is easier for me to read.
ocalhoun
ExMachina wrote:

Well it's my understanding of my rather limited interactions with phpBB (a rather long time ago) that the themes are simply cosmetic changes. You're just changing colors and images which are unrelated to the other coding for the forums such as the points/coins system.

They are mostly unrelated... but modifications like that do require changes in the themes; pretty much every visible change is a change to the theme itself.
Some coding would stay the same through theme changes, but a lot of it would need to change, which creates more work to do.

I'm guessing that it would be easier to make big changes to the existing theme than to add a new pre-made theme in. -- ie, that changing the look of a theme would be easier than changing all the functionality changes that have been put into the current one.

Mind you, that's just an educated guess and inferred from past threads. Mods don't get to play with the code, so I'm no official expert about it.
AsadAnsari
Its is realy a unique idea .. but i think Frihost is much better in light UI and low weight pages.
James007
Mod-info
We already had numerous threads about the Frihost layout. Please have a look at those topics in the suggestions forum. This topic is about the Greasemonkey script from this specific user.