FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 95/98/ME in virtual Box

seneca
Hi,

I want to run an ancient Windows (95, 98 or ME) in a Virtual Box in order to run very old programs which refuse to work with Windows XP or Windows 7.

I could have started it, but one of the problems is that I only have standard VGA graphic, which looks awesome.

Has anybody experiences with it?

Best regards

seneca
Josso
Hello, are you using dosbox?
seneca
No, I am using Virtual box. But thank you for the hint, I will try it!
Marcuzzo
Virtualbox should be ok to run those OS's but have you tried Compatibility mode in XP?
open the properties of the application, Compatibility Tab, check "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select the desired OS.
that should do the trick.

seneca wrote:
I could have started it, but one of the problems is that I only have standard VGA graphic, which looks awesome

is kind of vague. what do you mean, you need Standard VGA? or you don't?
billlam
Try VMWare Smile
portoskt
for what purpose you need that old systems
flamepjlh
seneca wrote:
Hi,

I want to run an ancient Windows (95, 98 or ME) in a Virtual Box in order to run very old programs which refuse to work with Windows XP or Windows 7.

I could have started it, but one of the problems is that I only have standard VGA graphic, which looks awesome.

Has anybody experiences with it?

Best regards

seneca

Maybe the drivers of the VGA graphic is difficult to find.                         

Confused Confused
seneca
Yes you are right, this sounded a bit vague, but to be more specific, I have to dig out the old handbooks.
What I tried to say is, having a very old game, which can only be installed having a Soundblaster and a special graphic card driver (which does not exist any more, also the graphic card itself). In worst case the installation fails because I cannot provide the correct driver.
In best case I can run the program but the graphic looks more aweful than ever was, because only the old windows' standard graphic driver.
Compatibility mode is a good choice but do not resolve the graphic card and sound blaster issue.
blueray
Give you a hit.

Use vmware version at 4.5.2 or above(with vmware tool) and you will got true color display on windows 2000 as my current installation.

I shall be testing this system after a few weeks later for vpn connection to windows server 2000.