FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which torrent client is better.

rjraaz
is anybody accurate comparison summery of torrent client, if have anyone share it here.
metalfreek
I have used only two torrent clients utorrent and bittorrent. utorrent is good and light weight but for some reason it didn't work well on my PC and I switched to Bit torrent and its working great.

So my recommendation will be Bit Torrent.
rjraaz
i am also using bittorrent, but for last few days when i try start download it get not responding and uses half of my ram.
D'Artagnan
i'm light on torrents, so i used utorrent
Peterssidan
I use Transmission. It's simple and lightweight, not as bloated as some other clients I have seen.
ExMachina
metalfreek wrote:
I have used only two torrent clients utorrent and bittorrent. utorrent is good and light weight but for some reason it didn't work well on my PC and I switched to Bit torrent and its working great.

So my recommendation will be Bit Torrent.

I had the opposite experience, BitTorrent became bulky and non-responsive, it wouldn't even connect to start downloading and had extreme difficulty downloading torrents with a lower number of seeders. I then switched to uTorrent and have had nothing but positive experiences with it.

I also don't download torrents too often, so I prefer the lightweight feel and interface of uTorrent. I haven't used any other programs so these are the only two I can comment on. Very Happy
nivinjoy
Utorrent is simple and light weight.. And even faster i feel..
driftingfe3s
I've used Vuze (back when it was called Azerus), Bitcomet, and ABC, and utorrent.

I stick with utorrent now. It's the most popular bittorent client right now with Vuze following right behind. Utorrent seems to be the most lightweight but in more recent versions it has become a bit bloated.

Wikipedia has a comparison of the features: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients#Features_I
therimalaya
I'm using utorrent for a long time. It is best since, it is light weight and fast. I once used vuze, i think is is a bit heavy then utorrent.
weableandbob
I really don't torrent much (only two or three times in my life), but utorrent worked well for me.
dude_xyx
I think Utorrent is the best torrent software you can find today. New Version 3 has catchy interface and lot of new good features too. It's light and take very little system resources.
Amann
rjraaz wrote:
is anybody accurate comparison summery of torrent client, if have anyone share it here.

Utorrent is the best.. its light on resources and small in size to download ... I rate utorrent 3.0 as 5 star...

Utorrent 3.0 has more feature which i like a lot ... its the best.....
portoskt
try vuze
Adiiforu
You dont need caomparisons for torrent client, just go with utorrent.

Its really light wieght. and the best thing is you can get a portable version which you can carry on your pen-drive, so you can use other peoples bandwidth.
User_X
"driftingfe3s" beat me to the comparison & ^ "Adiiforu" ^ said it best.

uTorrent is by far the most popular. That's what I use too

their site
http://www.utorrent.com
ocalhoun
I've been happy with bittorrent.

True, it is a bit bloated, but I generally prefer that in software.
I prefer to have lots of options to configure... I'm willing to sacrifice speed and 'user-friendliness' in order to get a program that behaves exactly like I want it to.
neuroflux
rjraaz wrote:

uTorrent for me, nice and fast - low overheads on memory and cpu load Smile
dude_xyx
ocalhoun wrote:

I prefer to have lots of options to configure... I'm willing to sacrifice speed and 'user-friendliness' in order to get a program that behaves exactly like I want it to.

Does BitTorrent has features which uTorrent doesn't have ? I thought uTorrent has everything BitTorrent has and more.

My net connection is just a ADSL which has 512kbs cap for download. The best I get is 512kbs and usually it's lot less than that. So the biggest thing I need is speed.
AsadAnsari
I give you no suggestion instead to utorrent.
Its a very user friendly and light software with most powerfull features.

Great little thing Utorrent.
ocalhoun
dude_xyx wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Does BitTorrent has features which uTorrent doesn't have ? I thought uTorrent has everything BitTorrent has and more.

Not sure, since I've never used uTorrent.

However, I can tell you some features of it that I enjoy:
-The ability to set up detailed procedures on how to handle a torrent... ie, can change the .torrent file storage folder, change the temporary folder, change the destination folder, tell it to automatically start .torrent files in the folder or not, tell it to automatically remove .torrent files after finishing, tell it to 'seed while d/u ratio is less than XX%', et cetera.
-The ability to mark individual files in the torrent in priority as 'high', 'medium', or 'skip', which saves downloading time if you don't want all of the files. (And lets you set these priorities before beginning the download -- also useful for downloading just one part to check the quality before downloading the rest.)
-Lots of settings to manage your bandwidth usage.
-Can show a list of all peers you're connected to (with lots of info), and can look up the IP of those peers and display a little flag showing which country they're from. (Lots of fun to see the various places you're sharing with.)
-Can display a progress bar for each piece being actively downloaded, so you can see how fast it's coming in real time.
-Can display individual progress bars for each file in the torrent.
-Can display a list of all trackers for a torrent (with lots of info, such as number of seeds/peers per tracker, and error messages for each tracker that's not working).
-Allows any program-wide setting to be overridden for individual torrents, for special cases.

Some of those things I guess might be things that other torrent clients don't have.
mukesh
i am using Vuze. I like it
MrTylerGreen
utorrent is awesome. It is cross-platform, and it even has an optional (and pretty easy to set up) web interface, There is even an android app to manage your torrents from anywhere! Plus, it is lightweight and has all of the other basic options, prioritizing downloads, seed ratio control, etc.
mirushi
utorrent is awesome!
You have to try it!
pioneer987
rjraaz wrote:

I always prefer uTorrent, it's light client, it has a lot more functions than I need, but I don't see them, because they can be hidden, and I like my torrent client to stay just torrent client, I would not like it to have more functions even like mp3 player or something..
Another nice function I noticed it has is video streaming, so you don't have to wait for the movie to download Wink
pioneer987
ocalhoun wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

However, I can tell you some features of it that I enjoy:
-The ability to set up detailed procedures on how to handle a torrent... ie, can change the .torrent file storage folder, change the temporary folder, change the destination folder, tell it to automatically start .torrent files in the folder or not, tell it to automatically remove .torrent files after finishing, tell it to 'seed while d/u ratio is less than XX%', et cetera.
-The ability to mark individual files in the torrent in priority as 'high', 'medium', or 'skip', which saves downloading time if you don't want all of the files. (And lets you set these priorities before beginning the download -- also useful for downloading just one part to check the quality before downloading the rest.)
-Lots of settings to manage your bandwidth usage.
-Can show a list of all peers you're connected to (with lots of info), and can look up the IP of those peers and display a little flag showing which country they're from. (Lots of fun to see the various places you're sharing with.)
-Can display a progress bar for each piece being actively downloaded, so you can see how fast it's coming in real time.
-Can display individual progress bars for each file in the torrent.
-Can display a list of all trackers for a torrent (with lots of info, such as number of seeds/peers per tracker, and error messages for each tracker that's not working).
-Allows any program-wide setting to be overridden for individual torrents, for special cases.

Some of those things I guess might be things that other torrent clients don't have.

I think u get more with uTorrent and uTorrent is so much "lighter" Smile
portoskt
for last few years i using utorrent, and i dont need nothing more ... good enough for me
savable
I am using utorrent for downloads and I am happy with my client as I have downloaded more than 6GB of data in last two days and its working fine for last 6 months.
silverdown
I use BitTorent
meiz
Torrent, 719k. Very Happy
tingkagol
ocalhoun wrote:

Try it. It runs from a mere 718kb file. Cool

And I'm pretty confident utorrent has all the features of bittorrent.
ocalhoun
tingkagol wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Try it. It runs from a mere 718kb file. Cool

And I'm pretty confident utorrent has all the features of bittorrent.

I did try it.

On further examination, BitTorrent and uTorrent are exactly the same thing.
They're both now being distributed by the same people, and have exactly the same interface.
Apparently, the only difference (besides name and icons) is that BitTorrent has just a few extra features that were deemed too heavy for uTorrent.

So, I'll just stick with my BitTorrent, thanks.
No reason to change to a different software if all it will do is get rid of a couple features and perhaps take up a tiny bit less hard drive space.
tingkagol
Well, it's been so long since I've checked other torrent clients (Azureus, Bitcomet, Bittorrent)- probably more than 5 years now since discovering utorrent. So it's understandable that other clients are catching up. (Upon further reading, I found that the current Bittorrent client is actually a rebranded version of utorrent)

On a side note, if I remember correctly, Bittorrent wasn't exactly a user-friendly client. It contained the primary source code that made 'torrenting' possible, but you needed to have a client for ease of use... Maybe I had it wrong with how I went about my torrenting.
seanm
used Utorrent for a long while and i love it
Hexes
On Windows I am always using uTorrent. I have tried a lot of different torrent clients but this one is the best. While I am working on linux I am running Deluge. It has Windows version but it is very poorly ported so uTorrent is way to go.
mgeek
I use BitTorrent.
fernandezxc
utorrent and bittorent are one and the same thing
both are equally fast
k_s_baskar
I did't try anything except utorrent.
kmontano
I use Utorrent for Mac and find it works very well.
fileb0x
rjraaz wrote:

Well uTorrent is a smaller utility. Claimed to be faster. Maybe just due to the fact it is more portable. However bitTorrent owns uTorrent so personally I use the latter.

I think its more to do at the end of the day with the stats of the torrent then the client itself. Leechers vs Peers.
PapaMinouche
uTorrent is probably the best! You can't go wrong with it
lightningleo
In my Opinion thee best torrent client selection depends on the tasks to be performed. For more advanced tasks you an use Bitorrent, for simple tasks Utorrent is better. so choose Wisely!!! But i prefer using utorrent, in my opinion it is faster!!! So... its your choice::::::::::---------------
ocalhoun
lightningleo wrote:
For more advanced tasks you an use Bitorrent, for simple tasks Utorrent is better.

They're exactly the same.
jdelfire
utorrent.... end of message
Chellesei
I used uTorrent before but now I'm using BitTorrent. I've also tried the latest release of Vuze. I liked it but I'm still not used to it. So, BitTorrent is still my default torrent client.
harshgupta1992
Utorrent and Bittorrent actually run on the same engine, but utorrent is simpler. you might want to try it out.
ocalhoun
harshgupta1992 wrote:
but utorrent is simpler. you might want to try it out.

I don't want my software to be simpler.

I want as many configuration options and features as possible, while still keeping performance acceptable.
Navigator
utorrent hands down, although it now has a "commercial" smell.
ugurkaragol
I will never give up a great bittorenten
sysna
i like utorrent, small size means fast startup and a lot friendly user interface as well as many options for auto download and auto shutdown. the only think i'm worry about is that they seem to have some plans for commercial purposes which is not a good news at all !
Gregoric
Navigator wrote:
utorrent hands down, although it now has a "commercial" smell.

I also have a feeling that there are coming more and more useless features - but as long as they don't slow down the application or take too much resources - I like them. Someone may find them useful.

I'd rather see more integration with bittorrent portals allowing us to find content without browser. Anyway, uTorrent is the only client I've ever used or even seen on friends' desktops.

I have a question. Do you know any torrent client for JavaME? I mean phone version. I had found one applet but it kept saying I have no memory card inserted. Of course I have one, all the time.
lobokun
either bittorrent or utorrent either one you cant go wrong
diwasblack
both are the same well in most aspects but i have got only uTorrent
blueray
As I like apps as small and lght as possible.
So I liked the utorrent much more.
It is not only small in size, but also runs faster and uses less memory than others.

At the beginning, the bittorrent was my only option. After I have been introduced
the utorrent and a few try, I switchd it and not back again.
dude_xyx
UTorrent and BitTorrent are both look identical maybe bitTorrent has couple of more features and more heavier. I have used uTorrent for years now and happy with it. It's simple, easy to use and lighter. Can't expect more.
Navigator
And now there is Torque (http://torque.bittorrent.com/labs/), a javascript client! No more desktop!
cnmdlb007
thunder in china
debaroon
I prefer uTorrent and in-built torrent in Opera.
uTorrent i use in my personal laptop and Opera torrent in my office laptop.

_Debaroon
k_s_baskar
utorrent is always my choice. because of its light weight.
menino
I've started using transmission in linux for torrents for a last few months, and its not that bad.
Actually, I didn't like it in the beginning because the version I have does not have the option to download one file at a time. It downloads everything in the queue.
I had installed utorrent in linux, and it works, but the interface is web based, which is a slight hassle, so I opted to try transmission only for a while... at least on the linux platform.

Its not too bad, but on windows, I prefer utorrent, its fast and has a lot of features.
TheRPGLPer
If you are wanting a GOOD bittorrent client, get BitTorrent. If you want a small portable one, get uTorrent.

Also, if you want one within a web browser, download the Opera Web Browser. It has a built in Torrent client.
rjraaz
WoW! thread started by me still getting responses even after it is almost 1year old. Moreover, I did not get exact reply that i want. Crying or Very sad
dude_xyx
Here's a comparison chart for bitTorrent software,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients
pauline5765
I use utorrent. I like it coz it's very light and if you would notice the setup install, it's barely 1 mb. That's a really good torrent tracker!
RosenCruz
I use uTorrent 1.7 . An old version. But lightweight and effective Wink
tamilparks
utorrent
DiegoEli
i use utorrent, is clean, easy software n download files so fast
ZeytinGrafik
I always preferred lightweight simple torrent clients, so my choice would be uTorrent which is <1mb
darthrevan
Well since I use Linux, I use either transmission or deluge most of the time. If I want a more of a GUI I use deluge. Most of the time transmission comes with the distro. I am not sure if Deluge is available for Windows or not. If you use Linux and just want a terminal torrent client then rtorrent works great as well. But as usual the best one is the one you like the most.
dudhraj
as everyone told utorrent is the best one i had ever used... but now a days bit torrent is also improving... (i think so..)
codegeek
I run utorrent as well. It has never given me trouble. Although I do not have any experience with other torrent clients, I can say with the utmost confidence that I am quite satisfied with utorrent.
dude_xyx
Last one I used before uTorrent was ABC. But it was taking way to much resources so I moved to this one years ago. Never had a problem since then.
tictock
uTorrent is the best.
It is small but Powerful.
Nick2008
I second uTorrent. Seems to be the lightest and easiest to use torrent client out there.
manverupl
uTorrent, because it's easy to use.
subhan1
BitTorrent is a good choice but utorrent is best
pravojednostavno
I use utorrent - i think is the best torrent client
Blummer
What I don't like in utorrent is the way it sometimes sticks in the processes and stays there for a long time and you need to cancel the process manually. But I still love it, it is lightweight and has got all the basic functions.
dude_xyx
Yeah I'm sure both uTorrent and bitTorrent have same features since both run on same core engine. Ever since I have started using uTorrent I have never had a problem.
Daddycool
I use bit torrent
supowski
You can find great comparison at wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

Which one is better, that's up to what you actually need. I personally like uTorrent.
candido
I am running transmission on linux platform
lcreed
I use BitTorrent for years, nave zero complaints about it
Da Rossa
Since this topic has been revived from the ancient ages, I'm posting an update:

uTorrent is still the top Bit Torrent client for Windows. However, recent versions, like 3.4.2, have started to use even more dishonest tactics to sway the user into installing bundled crapware. The last one has even caused a scandal: it installs a cryptominer alongside with uTorrent so you're "donating" your CPU threads to BitCoin mining to allegedly help a charity. Seems noble, if weren't for the fact that it tries to conceal the truth upon installing. Doesn't get to the point to be rogueware.

So many sites are recommending Windows users downgrade to uTorrent 2.2.1. Still essentially the same program, more lightweight and less bloated. I'm happily using it.

An alternative for Windows would be Deluge. Haven't used thoroughly though.
FunDa
Da Rossa wrote:
Since this topic has been revived from the ancient ages, I'm posting an update:

uTorrent is still the top Bit Torrent client for Windows. However, recent versions, like 3.4.2, have started to use even more dishonest tactics to sway the user into installing bundled crapware. The last one has even caused a scandal: it installs a cryptominer alongside with uTorrent so you're "donating" your CPU threads to BitCoin mining to allegedly help a charity. Seems noble, if weren't for the fact that it tries to conceal the truth upon installing. Doesn't get to the point to be rogueware.

So many sites are recommending Windows users downgrade to uTorrent 2.2.1. Still essentially the same program, more lightweight and less bloated. I'm happily using it.

An alternative for Windows would be Deluge. Haven't used thoroughly though.

uTorrent was my default for many years. Now, after all these crapware being bundled and ads and what not, I want to move to a different one.

Transmission, Deluge, BitTorrent, whic is the best lightweight torrent manager which supports remote control ?
Da Rossa
I wish I knew too.
But since this is only about a torrent client, why not getting back uTorrent 2.2.1? I believe it has remote control. It's only a means to an end. Essentially they're all the same... essentially.
Blummer
I still use Utorrent, but a downgraded one, more like versions 3.2 to 3.4. There is an option in advanced setting to disable the ads and the annoying functions, but I also have encountered the issue with the recent versions - somehow, after being downloaded, a file looked like it's an incomplete one, so I had to go back to utorrent, stop seeding and then resume it again. After that the file finally turned into a completed one.
dan_l2
i'm using Vuze
Da Rossa
Besides uTorrent 2.2.1 (which people have no reason to upgrade, it works perfectly), there is Deluge. I tried and liked it.
chiragjn
QBittorent

1.Free
2.No Ads
3.Allows sequential file download
RosenCruz
Latest versions of uTorrent sucks. I switched to Deluge. Adfree and very effective
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Latest versions of uTorrent sucks. I switched to Deluge. Adfree and very effective
Thanks Rosen. I'm going to try this one out. Just had a look at it, and it looks great so far.

If I may ask, which site do you use to get old software from like Windows XP? I'm asking as I know one can Google it, but apparently there is a great chance one can end up with loads of malware. I'm looking for a tried and tested clean site to download it from.
Blummer
There are advanced settings in standard Utorrent distribution. They allow you to disable all those annoying ads.
younelba
uTorrent is a BitTorrent client. It is the most used, most developed, most easy-to-use, most portable, most popular, most downloaded, fastest, BitTorrent client I have ever seen.
If you'r not interested by utorret you can try:
vuze
transmission
Bitlord
tixati.
Hope it helps. Very Happy
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
Thanks Rosen. I'm going to try this one out. Just had a look at it, and it looks great so far.

If I may ask, which site do you use to get old software from like Windows XP? I'm asking as I know one can Google it, but apparently there is a great chance one can end up with loads of malware. I'm looking for a tried and tested clean site to download it from.

I regularly check oldversion.com. It has older versions of popular software, suitable for XP, Vista and Win 7. I never met a malware on that web site. Works perfect.
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

I regularly check oldversion.com. It has older versions of popular software, suitable for XP, Vista and Win 7. I never met a malware on that web site. Works perfect.
Looks appropriately named too. Will definitely check it out thanks Rosen. Probably for Windows XP first of all.
Blummer
Some people actually recommend downloading older utorrent versions from oldversion.com. Some trackers don't like the newer versions being used.
rusher
I use Free Download Manager because that's all I need to download everything.
RosenCruz
rusher wrote:
I use Free Download Manager because that's all I need to download everything.

FDM supports torrents ??? Rolling Eyes