FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Staring at the computer...how long is too long?

rogue_skydragon
Hello,

My job requires me to sit in front of a computer screen all day. I know staring at computer screens for too long would cause strain and even deteriorate eye-sight, but I want to know...how long do you think is too long?

I've heard taking a 10 minute break from the computer every half hour is what is recommended. Any other observations?
Relentless
Not quite sure on the facts but,

I would assume you will be using an LCD/TFT Monitor (flat screen)

I would recomend that you make sure the brightness is not on 100% . Make sure it's at about 50 or 60% the lower the better. Otherwise it will cause damage to your eyes. Imagine staring into a torch, how long can you do that for? Smile

But if you mess with the brightness remember to adjust the contrast levels accordingly.

And I wouldn't say a 10min break every 30mins. maybe a 5min break every hour.
Nameless
It's not just staring at the computer, there other factors you'll want to consider as well - like even lighting around where you're sitting, for instance. I don't know exactly what the recommend break timing is (pretty sure it's less than 10/30 minutes though >_>), but it'll help to get into the habit of looking around the room instead of continually straight forward whenever you're pausing to think or something.
myqute
I think...20 to 30 minutes!