FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trading up for a Top Level Domain

ExMachina
I'm still considering whether or not to apply for my free hosting (I can't decide if my idea is worth the time/effort). I may just stick around for the community and apply down the line if I think of something else...

Anyway, in the event that I do apply for free hosting, is it possible in the future to upgrade that site to a top level domain? Is it as easy as simply trading up (along with the 350 coins Razz) or does everything have to be moved and reconfigured? Tried the search tool but couldn't come up with anything...

Thank you. Very Happy
k_s_baskar
No need to wait. you can use pointer feature to use top level domains for your existing sub domain a/c.
(which is avail advanced features in direct admin, you can find similar in cpanel if you have cpanel account)
ExMachina
k_s_baskar wrote:
No need to wait. you can use pointer feature to use top level domains for your existing sub domain a/c.
(which is avail advanced features in direct admin, you can find similar in cpanel if you have cpanel account)

Can you explain what this feature is? As I said I haven't applied for hosting yet so I don't have access to DirectAdmin to hunt around for it...
truespeed
Just point your top level domain via nameservers to frihost and assuming you have a site on a frihost subdomain,just move those files from the subdomain folder to your new domain folder,thats all really,unless i have misunderstood your post.
loremar
Honestly, getting a top level domain is damn tough. I've been here for almost 4 months, regularly posting and I still need more coins, about 55 more. I think you can hasten up by making some noise getting into some debates, but not easily, not without some rough slapping on your face. When I started, I did it just to get the 45 points mark to begin earning coins. Bikerman was impressive. He was like 24/7 exchanging arguments. I wonder if this guy ever sleeps not to mention he seems like a busy man in the real world. It was also easy to me when deanhills was around, you always have someone to reply to.

By the way, if you transfer all your files/site from your old sub-domain to your new top level domain, don't forget to redirect your sub-domain to your top-level domain. This way, you'll redirect all your backlinks(you gain by commenting on blogs) to your new site and also correct/redirect your internal links in your database. And also don't forget to point your site to your database to use it.
loremar
ExMachina wrote:
k_s_baskar wrote:

Can you explain what this feature is? As I said I haven't applied for hosting yet so I don't have access to DirectAdmin to hunt around for it...

I think he means "domain pointers", which you can find under advance features if you're using DirectAdmin (which depends what main domain/server the frihost staff will place your subdomain). If I'm not mistaken, there's about four main domains frihost is using. Mine is frihost.org, another would be frih.net.

If you use domain pointers, it's just easy. You just enter your top level domain which you want to point to your subdomain.

Me? I'd actually prefer using site redirection(which you can also find under advance features). But it's your choice.
ExMachina
Thanks for the responses everyone. Very Happy

I've put in my hosting request so as soon as it's approved I'll try out what you guys have suggested. If I run into any issues, I'll be posting here for help. Razz
loremar
Just found this out today while I logged in DirectAdmin account.

There's a way to change your current domain/subdomain directly to your new top level domain.
Go to your account -> Domain Setup -> Change a Domain Name -> Select domain to change and enter new value. That's it.

That easy. Very Happy
k_s_baskar
loremar wrote:

There's a way to change your current domain/subdomain directly to your new top level domain.
Go to your account -> Domain Setup -> Change a Domain Name -> Select domain to change and enter new value. That's it.

That easy. Very Happy

By doing so you will loss direct traffic to your old domain.
loremar
k_s_baskar wrote:
loremar wrote:

That easy. Very Happy

By doing so you will loss direct traffic to your old domain.

You have a point. Still is useful though if you're okay with getting rid of your old domain. But I would prefer not, and instead use redirection.