FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

best man speech

medesignz
Last night I was best man for my best friend and I had to do a speech.

Now I'm no expert, and I dont do public speaking... But it went really well.

The laughs were in the right places, and I even got a couple rounds of applause.

If anyone is ever asked to right a speech and is a bit nervous, all I can suggest is that you have fun and share it with a few loved ones before.
standready
Every time I get 'stuck' being best man, I just do a simple toast to the bride and groom.
medesignz
Thanks William68... great to have you on the site BTW
coolclay
Congrats, I've never been best man, and in fact haven't even been to a wedding in maybe 5 years or so. A lot of my friends are reaching marriage age so I am sure I'll be attending a lot more in the next few years!
The_unnamed_label
So I will post here cause I need points Very Happy

and I really like your advice "share with few loved ones" I would say it's a great advice Wink
I'm so glad it went as you wanted..

I must say, the few speeches I heard were all similar and pretty boring... never really felt anything else but that the person was TRYING hard to be funny to the embarrassing/boring point... or, in the churches speeches, trying to be sweet and, you know... to say what people say in churches with all the moral and niceness that involves... but in those cases... I usually got bored to the point I was sitting there and thinking of something else. Result would be for me to wake up from time to time from this state of semi-interest in what was being said... (I know its not nice, but I'm being honest)
I also always wonder why some of them chose to read famous texts from authors? I find it so impersonal... anyway

What I'm trying to say here is, your speech was the ideal balance that made it perfect.

(Also... better give me 3 points haha Wink at least)
medesignz
And your advice was much appreciated... I couldnt have delivered it without you Smile
The_unnamed_label
medesignz wrote:
I couldnt have delivered it without you Smile

Nah... all I did was boosting your self-confidence and encouraging you Smile You know

you know what they say "Behind every great man there's a great woman" hehe Wink

and you're the best...

And my previous post got me 5 points btw! haha!!
missdixy
I wish I could take your suggestions easily!! But it's actually very difficult for me with my social anxiety. In order to even be able to survive a speech in college I had to practice it like 8-10 times in front of a mirror, and then even when I presented it in front of people I instantly got sweaty and would spend the two days before my presentation or so with very bad stomach aches! But I'm glad it went well for you Wink
medesignz
I dont think anxiety or nerves are a bad thing... if we didnt suffer from them, then perhaps it wouldnt be so satisfying when done.
wellerchap
I was my brother's best man when I was 17....my speech was rubbish, I didn't pre-prepare anything, I lacked condidence, and just said the basic "thank you's" and so on...I regretted it for years......however, in my late twenties my neighbour married and he asked me to be his best man...I rectified all the regrets I'd felt for years and practised, wrote in some jokes (some a bit rude, too !), read it over and over again for weeks and weeks beforehand....I rattled through it on the day and it went really really well.
The moral of the story is "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail".
Ghost900
I have never been chosen to be best man which is fine by me but I am glad to hear that yours went well.

I am in a public speaking class at my College right now so I will be prepared for speeches forced on me by my friends in the future.
medesignz
Ghost900 wrote:
I have never been chosen to be best man which is fine by me but I am glad to hear that yours went well.

I am in a public speaking class at my College right now so I will be prepared for speeches forced on me by my friends in the future.

Haha... forced? Its expected but never forced Very Happy