FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frihost Community, I need your help!

rogue_skydragon
Okay, so here is my dilemma:

My birthday is coming up on October 24, and for the longest time I've been thinking about traveling to Istanbul, Turkey for my birth-week (from October 23 - 30 to be precise). I would really like to do this soon, as the proverbial traveling itch is just getting unbearable. I have this feeling that if I do not do this soon, I may not have the opportunity to do so ever. I mean, I may have the opportunity to do so further into the future, but it will be under different circumstances. See, I will be turning 23, and I feel that the older I get, and the more tied down I am to a career and responsibilities, the more un-enjoyable and immemorable my travels will be. Does this sound ridiculous to some of you? What are your thoughts?

I've been working full-time at my job for 2 months now, in addition to 5 months of part-time prior to being promoted. I have been granted 2 weeks of vacation time, and I want to use one of those weeks for this Istanbul trip; however I am not sure if it would be too early to do so. What do you think? If you've only been working full-time at your job for 2 months, would it be too early to ask for a vacation? I really care about my job, and I'd really hate for a decision like this to jeopardize my paycheck and my good standing with the company.

I have been debating and double-thinking within my own mind and to some friends whether this would be the best thing to do in my life right now. And so here I am, seeking wisdom from the internet. Help?
Hello_World
Do it.
ocalhoun
rogue_skydragon wrote:
I really care about my job, and I'd really hate for a decision like this to jeopardize my paycheck and my good standing with the company.

Ah, there's your problem.

Do you care about your job because it's something you enjoy doing, or something you think gives you a unique way to improve society?
Yes -- keep it, and ask your boss very nicely for some time off to go take a vacation. That isn't an unreasonable request, and if it is denied, then perhaps your job isn't as good as you think it is.
No -- If you like your job only for the paycheck or opportunities for advancement... reconsider if that money or opportunity is really what you want out of life. Is the stuff that money will buy worth trading your soul for? Probably not. In that case, simply tell your boss that you're going on vacation, and if you have no job when you get back, no great loss anyway; you're better off without it.

Your job is there to support your life. NOT the other way around. If it has become 'your life is there to support your job', then you need to get rid of the job as soon as you can, before you become dead on the inside like so many others.
wellerchap
Go for it.....the cemeteries are full of guys who got older and wish they'd done more things they wanted to do.
Afaceinthematrix
Why don't you talk to your boss and get his or her input? I think most employers would respect the fact that you care about the company enough to get their input as long as you're wording your request correctly. I would say something like this: Sir/ma'm, I would like to use one of my vacation weeks towards the end of October and was wondering if that would be a good time use it. Will other people be on vacation already or is that usually a particularly busy time at work where my absence would cause extra hardship?

Quote:
See, I will be turning 23, and I feel that the older I get, and the more tied down I am to a career and responsibilities, the more un-enjoyable and immemorable my travels will be. Does this sound ridiculous to some of you? What are your thoughts?

And I completely agree. I think it is very important to do things like this when you can. This is especially true if you're planning on ever having kids. That will effectively ruin most of your travel plans for about two to three decades. Do as much as you can and see as much as you can.
rogue_skydragon
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Why don't you talk to your boss and get his or her input? I think most employers would respect the fact that you care about the company enough to get their input as long as you're wording your request correctly. I would say something like this: Sir/ma'm, I would like to use one of my vacation weeks towards the end of October and was wondering if that would be a good time use it. Will other people be on vacation already or is that usually a particularly busy time at work where my absence would cause extra hardship?

Thanks for the helpful replies, all!

Afaceinthematrix, this is actually something I haven't really thought too much about. Choosing the right way to say something definitely determines how an outcome is shaped. In this case, sounding out my concern for the company during a proposed 1-week vacation may help maintain good status with the company. I'll be taking this into consideration for sure.

ocalhoun wrote:
Your job is there to support your life. NOT the other way around.

ocalhoun, I used to keep this idea very close to heart. Many times, I would say to friends "live at the beat of your own drum," and would commence offering bits of encouragement like this every chance I could. But at some point, I just lost sight of it all and strayed away from ideals like this, which totally sucks! I guess amongst all the busy-work and self-evaluating that manifested after leaving college and getting hired full-time, a sort of quarter-life crisis kicked in, and it's been chipping away at me big time. I'd love to come back to those ideals, and seeing your response definitely helps reinvigorate that. Thank you.
mazito
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Okay, so here is my dilemma:

..... I have been granted 2 weeks of vacation time, and I want to use one of those weeks for this Istanbul trip; however I am not sure if it would be too early to do so. What do you think? If you've only been working full-time at your job for 2 months, would it be too early to ask for a vacation? I really care about my job, and I'd really hate for a decision like this to jeopardize my paycheck and my good standing with the company.

if you granted is your time

if you think this could give you troubles in the future, talk about it with your boss, honesty is the best
ocalhoun
rogue_skydragon wrote:

I used to keep this idea very close to heart. [...] But at some point, I just lost sight of it all and strayed away from ideals like this, which totally sucks! [...] I'd love to come back to those ideals, and seeing your response definitely helps reinvigorate that. Thank you.

Real people: 1
The System: 0

Knowing that I helped somebody live rather than just surviving makes my day!