FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LINUX - with windows 7

gverutes
i am interested in installing LINUX with a Windows 7 machine. Can anyone recommend a good platform for this setup? thanks!
badai
for personal use, i recommend ubuntu

you are not giving enough information like how many hd/partition you have, or if you already have win 7 installed.

making assumption on most usual setup:
you already have win 7
you used up all your hd as 1 partition.

first, defrag your hd to have more space at the end of your partition.
then, go to control panel, admin tools, computer management, storage, disk management.
there you can reduce the size of your windows partition. don't reduce too much, or you will not have enough space to use in windows later.
once you have unallocated space big enough to install linux (10G should be enough), just insert your linux cd... ok, later on this. first you need to download linux.

just go to http://www.ubuntu.com to download ubuntu, or go to other linux site to download other linux. you should download an iso image. burn it into cd/dvd. do not burn as data, burn it as image. your burner software should have option to burn image.

if you do not have cd/dvd drive, you can also use usb stick to install it. download UNetbootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net. mount the iso image using virtual drive like virtual clone drive (http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html) then run unetbootin.

unetbootin can also download linux for you, so you don't need to download iso image to use unetbootin. my advise, just download the iso, because it's faster than using unetbootin to download for you (make sure you use download manager or torrent. if you just download from one source, then just use unetbootin). also you will have a copy ready to use with cd/dvd.

once you have your cd/dvd/usb stick ready, just boot your computer with it. during installation, it will ask for hd layout where you have an option to let linux use all unallocated space in your hd. just make sure do not let the installer to delete all existing partition and recreate new layout.

once you finish installing linux, you should have a boot menu where you can boot either to windows or linux.

another option to try linux is to use free vmware player, and you can install linux inside vmware player. this is the safest option to try linux for beginner.

good luck. you would find it not as interesting as you would expected.
gverutes
thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I don't want to use LINUX, but a project requires me to.
badai
if you blurted out more info about yourself and your project, you would get very, very good suggestion here.
gverutes
Just trying to learn more about LINUX. I actually access my coworkers computer through ssh (putty), but was thinking of turning my backup laptop into LINUX operating system so I can practice.

Just think I might want to eventually migrate away from windows.
jcreus
gverutes wrote:
Just trying to learn more about LINUX. I actually access my coworkers computer through ssh (putty), but was thinking of turning my backup laptop into LINUX operating system so I can practice.

Just think I might want to eventually migrate away from windows.

I really recommend you so. Plus, if you have to do command-line jobs, Linux is far better than Windows' cmd.exe. It has much power. And it's free, in both senses.
D'Artagnan
gverutes wrote:
thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I don't want to use LINUX, but a project requires me to.

Then VM you way out friend Razz

i have a ubunto and a slackware on VM ware and it runs really smoothy
ankur209
If you really don't want to get messed up with VMware and its settings simply download the ubuntu 11.04 and WUBI and install it on system ! it will work pretty fine and Ubuntu is damn good for beginners! Laughing
cresvale
Yes, Ubuntu is really good for trying.
SonLight
As ankur209 mentioned, Wubi is a great easy choice to install Ubuntu without worrying about repartitioning or setting up a virtual machine. It will guide you through the details, and build the chunk of space it needs on the hard drive as a file within the Windows system. If you decide you don't want it on your system later, you can simply uninstall it like a regular program.

There may be some loss of speed, but I don't find it noticeable. I currently have a WUbi-installed Linux on one disk, and a separate standard installation of Linux on a separate disk. Usually I choose which disk to boot from by setting the bios boot parameters, but I can also cross over to the other disk from the boot menu.

When the disk with Windows and Wubi boots, it comes up with Windows as the default boot target. If I select Ubuntu instead, I get another boot menu for which the default is a normal boot into the Wubi system.

Disadvantages of the Wubi installation for long-term use are:

* It is slightly less convenient to boot. Probably I could overcome that by configuring the Wubi boot loader, but I'm reluctant to risk damaging the Windows installation if I mess it up.

* The data stored on my system is somewhat less reliable, since either Windows or Linux can destroy it if it really snarfs up the filesystem.

My recommendation would be to try Wubi, knowing you can remove it if you decide to, but planning to keep it and become more Linux oriented in the future.
flamepjlh
gverutes wrote:
i am interested in installing LINUX with a Windows 7 machine. Can anyone recommend a good platform for this setup? thanks!

Using your windows 7 and setup a linux virtual machine with virtual box on your system.

Ofcourse your machine should be strong enough to run both of the OS.           

Laughing Laughing
lightwate
If you're going to dual boot and confident, I discourage you to use the Wubi installer in ubuntu. It's a lot faster if you install it outside Windows. Plus, it's a good thing to learn how to install OS's right?

But if you're only going to use it for a project and if your computer isn't that slow, I suggest you try using a virtual machine. I recommend Sun's Virtual box http://www.virtualbox.org
weableandbob
I would say go with either Ubuntu (popular and fairly user-friendly) or Fedora (good for more work or network-oriented things) and try them in a virtual machine. Once you've decided on one, I would say dual boot. It's fairly simple to do so, and there are plenty of guides online that give step-by-step directions.
cybersa
Ubuntu is good Linux os.
Easy to work...
Good for Newbies..
So,Try Ubuntu
c'tair
I'd say either go for Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Both are very easy, very good looking and probably the perfect choice for a beginner that's just switching from using Windows.
MrTylerGreen
I have said it before and I will say it again.

For the absolute beginner in Linux Ubuntu is the way to go

Pros:

easy to install
    lots of easy to use GUI tools
    Easy to follow GUI install
    loads of community support

Cons:

less customization
    more system resource usage

This is the basic tutorial on how to do that:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

I have used Ubuntu many times, so if you need any help with the install, private message me. Smile[/list]