FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What to upgrade first?

jeremyhowell
I am looking to upgrade some parts on my desktop for Battlefield 3 coming out this month.

At the moment this is my machine parts that I am considering upgrading:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4G CPU
Radeon Sapphire HD 5850 GPU
4GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
650W PSU

Which would be worth upgrading to best improve the performance, so basically I dont want to spend heaps on a new GFX card if its only going to be marginally better than the one I have at the moment, which I did spend a considerable amount on a year ago.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
william
That is a pretty strong setup you have there. It definitely meets the recommended requirements for Battlefield 3.

Let's see, your RAM is only about average for these days, and upgrading the RAM is relatively inexpensive. However it won't make too much of a difference in your gaming performance. Your CPU is plenty powerful, I doubt that will bottleneck anything. Your GPU is still very strong, however unless you can sell it for a good price to fund a faster one, I wouldn't do it. However, if you can find another HD 5850 for a low price, a Crossfire setup may not be a bad idea (does depend on your motherboard and the quality of that PSU you have).

By the way, you processor is a Black Edition if I remember correctly. Have you tried overclocking it or the GPU? You can get some decent gains without spending anything (or just spending a few bucks on a good cooler).
weableandbob
That setup looks plenty fine-any major improvements are going to cost you a fair amount. If you still want to, though, I would try looking for a second card to run in Crossfire like william said unless you have a huge amount of cash to burn-then you might want to look at something like a GTX 590. It's expensive, but it would also give a huge performance increase (if I'm not mistaken, it should be able to run it at max settings)
jeremyhowell
weableandbob wrote:
That setup looks plenty fine-any major improvements are going to cost you a fair amount. If you still want to, though, I would try looking for a second card to run in Crossfire like william said unless you have a huge amount of cash to burn-then you might want to look at something like a GTX 590. It's expensive, but it would also give a huge performance increase (if I'm not mistaken, it should be able to run it at max settings)

GTX 590? Sorry Im not an expert on video cards, but doesn't it have to be another Radeon card of the same model to run crossfire?
menino
Good luck on the upgrade and Battlefield 3.
I also think the ram should be upgraded first, but for these kind of games, the video card and processor count a lot, especially the video card, and the memory that it has.