FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hana Gadhafi is alive

quex
If you're old enough to remember the Libyan terrorism in the 80s, you might also remember that dictator Gadhafi drummed up much sympathy with displays of grief over the death of an adopted infant named Hana. The regime claimed that a US air strike (sent in retaliation for a Libyan-sponsored bombing of a nightclub in Berlin that killed some US servicemen) was to blame for the death of his daughter. A photo of a dead baby was sent to media institutions around the world, and Gadhafi directly blamed the United States for murdering children in statements given at the time.

The tumult over Hana was such that when the Libyan leader was implicated in the bombing of a Pan Am airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland, two years later, many people voiced their opinions that the attack was likely meant to be revenge for her death.

Except that she isn't dead.

This would not be the only time Gadhafi has "sacrificed" his children to win sympathy form the media: he claimed his biological son, Saif Al-Arab, died in a NATO air strike in April of this year, along with three grandchildren. The intelligence services of several European countries have since identified Saif Al-Arab living under an assumed name in another country, on the distributed wealth of the Gadhafi family.

What a scumbag.
deanhills
Think we have seen it in the movies too. Someone's presumed passing helps to provide safety and security for that person. If it had been my family I'd probably have lied through my teeth to protect them too. Politicians lie about everything anyway, so why should a rogue like Ghadaffi be any different?
Very Happy
Hello_World
Like all people with power, he used lies that most people would not consider making.

See also, George Bush, weapons of mass destruction.
quex
deanhills wrote:
Think we have seen it in the movies too. Someone's presumed passing helps to provide safety and security for that person. If it had been my family I'd probably have lied through my teeth to protect them too. Politicians lie about everything anyway, so why should a rogue like Ghadaffi be any different?
:D

Excepting that this had nothing to do with the girl's safety and everything to do with gaining undue sympathy from the international community, I agree.
augustinelund
According to Wikipedia a second daughter was adopted and given the same name in honor of the first daughter
deanhills
augustinelund wrote:
According to Wikipedia a second daughter was adopted and given the same name in honor of the first daughter
Right. He had 8 biological children. Seven sons and one daughter (a lawyer). There were two adopted daughters and one of them may have died. According to Wikpedia. Amazing how well educated his children had been.