FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you think will destroy the planet Earth?

ratanegra
I mean like leaving only dust or little rocks instead of a planet. I wonder if it will be a weapon created by humans, a mistake in some scientific experiment or a natural disaster like a meteor or the random explosion of the Earth by itself.

What do you think will be the final drop to fall from the glass?
davidv
Dividing by zero. Laughing
spinout
ah simple question! answer; The SUN!

the sun will grow so much it consumes the earth! That is hard to imagine since it takes 8 minutes for the light to reach us.
metalfreek
If the question was what do you think will destroy Human then there would be so many answer but there are a few possibility like
1. A really big meteor. I mean really really big may be as big as earth traveling at really high speed.
2. At the end stage of our Sun, it will convert into red giant swallowing inner planets. So, this is a sure way that our planet will be destroyed.
3. There might be a very less probability but if black hole is traveling towards us then we are screwed.

Cannot think of more reasons. Someone might add more here.
shivaghimire
I think, the scientific weapons will cause natural imbalance, that imbalance will cause natural disaster and the will be destroyed.
Bikerman
Scientific weapons? Those are the ones that hypothesise that they will kill you, and then conduct a series of live-fire exercises to determine the scope and validity of the hypothesis...are they?

Don't quite know what a 'natural balance' is, and I'm betting that you don't either. In fact I don't even know what the word natural means here. What would be 'unnatural' and how do you tell the difference between natural and unnatural?
c'tair
Hm, it would be damn tough to be honest. Natural disasters such as metroid would get the job done. Eventually everything will return to it's starting point.

But man made? I know we could erase all life by detonating enough thermonuclear devices around the Earth, we could easily make it so that for a split second, the Earth would be bathed in the fire of the sun. But to erase the whole planet?

I'd have to look into Warhammer 40k books: The Exterminatus! I'm thinking an orbital barrage of mass drivers? This would do essentially what asteroids would do, except we could target the most vulnerable areas of the planet. I also believe that the technology to actually do this is already here (think gauss cannon powered by nuclear thorium reactors up in space with slugs made from iron).

What do you think Bikerman? Very Happy
Bikerman
Can't see it working. You would need thousands of reactors and where would all the 'ammo' come from?
If you want to kill everything on earth then that is a very tall order. One way would be to induce a nuclear winter. If you could get sufficient 'stuff' into the atmosphere it would be possible to block sunlight. That would kill all the plants and then you just wait....
Deferment
Humans brings all the problems upon itself. Look at the game gears of wars 2, its a kinda science-fiction
but i think that's still possible in the future, who says that we are the only "smart" (forgot the word) mammals in the universe. I'm sure theres more Life beyond Earth that's so much more powerfull than our human weapons. We will be destroyed by a super alien force Razz

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzxNmIGltyk[/youtube]

look at that vid Razz Somethings are truth what they say in that cutscene Razz
Bluedoll
The planet earth has a sister planet called mars. It is smaller but some say it once had an atmosphere and water but now of course is a barren dusty place. What went wrong? Figure that one out and it might be possible to determine how the same thing could happen to earth. Was it too many greedy martians or was it an invention called martnet? More likely an imbalance of some sort. We know for example that earth has a liquid core that generates a field around the planet to protect the atmosphere from dissipating into space from the suns solar winds over time like the planet mars. Without a healthy atmosphere it is doubtful other systems can be maintained. Even the earth’s core that runs like a smooth liquid revolving engine must need to be replenished somehow. Some even say uranium deposits deep in the planet help add to the heat of the core. Obviously, if the core gets too hot and is vented by volcanic activity, the earth can manage to maintain reasonable pressures inside but then if too much occurs it might start to loose too much of its core heat. Emissions from volcanoes however will trap heat like a greenhouse and in return heat up the earth, overall, I suspect the earth would find another way to exist but then it might not support life as we now know it for a long while in the process. I am no expert but even a novice can understand that forces are at work to maintain some kind of balance in nature in everything and mankind the carbon producer will also affect systems by exhausting resources and changing conditions ... (like co2 content and removable of ice caps that counter act to cool the planet down when needed) ... that maintain natural balances and checks. How fragile or impervious the earth actually is may not be yet predictable until the results are shown to us first.
Bikerman
Bits of this make sense but other bits are confused.
The core of the earth is not liquid. The inner core is too presurised to be liquid. It is a solid, surrounded by liquid.

Radioactive elements certainly do heat up the earth - this is well understood. They prevent the core cooling quickly, but don't really 'heat it' since it is way hotter than the radioactive elements and they occur in the mantle/crust.
The core is not vented by volcanic activity. Volcanoes occur in the crust- thousands of miles above the core.
The stuff about 'pressure' is just wrong. Volcanoes vent pressure only at the crust/mantle interface. The pressure at the core is caused by the mass of rock/liquid metal above and is about 360 Gigapascals (3600000 atmospheres).

The notion that there is a 'balance' in nature is mistaken. There are certainly feedback cycles and loops which can, temporarily, act to 'smooth out' changes, but these are transient, not permenant features. The earth has been changing steadily throughout its history - for which we should be grateful.
Ankhanu
My guess is Earth will meet its end with the other planets in the system when the Sun expands. I have serious doubts that it will occur via anthropogenic agents, the scale is just too large. There is the possibility of events, such as an encounter with a roving celestial body, but the likelihood of that seems small... the possibility of a smaller impact erasing life is more likely, but those are different ideas Wink

Bluedoll wrote:
The planet earth has a sister planet called mars. It is smaller but some say it once had an atmosphere and water but now of course is a barren dusty place.

You may wish to review what was learned in this thread: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1029971.html#1029971
Asap170
davidv wrote:
Dividing by zero. Laughing

That's great.

Personally humans are destroying the planet so sooner or later the ozone is gonna be gone and we have U.V. rays and stuff and the earth will shift off it's axis and burn up in space.
_AVG_
Meteor showers, I think. Perhaps even a large asteroid!

Anyway, those are just guesses. Also, meteors are just probabilities. On the other hand, whether astral collisions spell our doom or not, it is quite certain that eventually, the sun will engulf the earth. So, alas, it seems as though the earth, our planet will not exist forever. Then again, neither will we ...
c'tair
Bikerman wrote:
Can't see it working. You would need thousands of reactors and where would all the 'ammo' come from?
If you want to kill everything on earth then that is a very tall order. One way would be to induce a nuclear winter. If you could get sufficient 'stuff' into the atmosphere it would be possible to block sunlight. That would kill all the plants and then you just wait....

Ah, I have some free time so maybe I could run some calculations on power/mass/destruction of such a construction. I won't look into the financial aspects, but I really like the idea from a sci-fi point of view. I mean what could be cooler than sending ferromagnetic slugs at a planet at relativistic speeds? Smile

Or maybe we could rework that idea to work more like a bunker-buster? Ie. a projectile that would first penetrate a planet's crusts quite a distance and then would detonate a strong payload. That should, in my imagination for now, disturb a planet's tectonic plates/core enough to destabilize and cause lotsa earthquakes, tsunamis and other such stuff.

I'm also thinking about causing extreme radiation. Because sure, we could provoke another ice age, but things are sure to survive, at least on the bacterial/viral level. But I don't think there are many things that could survive strong radiation. Except them tiny bears, I always forget their names, but you've heard of them - the ones that can live from -273C to 100C+ temps and even in the vacuum of space. Damn, life ain't easy to eradicate.
ratanegra
metalfreek wrote:
If the question was what do you think will destroy Human then there would be so many answer but there are a few possibility like
1. A really big meteor. I mean really really big may be as big as earth traveling at really high speed.
2. At the end stage of our Sun, it will convert into red giant swallowing inner planets. So, this is a sure way that our planet will be destroyed.
3. There might be a very less probability but if black hole is traveling towards us then we are screwed.

I said Earth, not human race.
metalfreek
ratanegra wrote:
metalfreek wrote:

I said Earth, not human race.

Yes I know, If the question was about human race then the answer would be much more. But if its earth then I could think only three ways. Very Happy
pll
I think meteorites or pollution would destroy planet Earth. Maybe soon, maybe in many years but if we don't stop we're going right through a wall. Cool
malaysia
the so scientist that think their are better than GOD.
chatrack
May be an attack of aliens can make a harm. But it still will not destroy planet.
ankitdatashn
Unless any natural calamity occurs I am sure a human made weapon will destroy our earth. It may be activated due to any war like situation, or falls automatic triggering which I presume to be a big risk. Biological weapons are a great threat too!

Other than human made weapons I believe any astronomical mass from space may destroy earth, or the pollution will be a slow death for all of us...
Arty
Experimental mini black holes
Bikerman
I presume you mean micro black holes (I don't think we can create anything other). No quantifiable risk exists from the formation of MBH. Such a thing would puff into non-existence almost as soon as it formed (Hawking Radiation).
Personally I'm really hoping that the LHC DOES produce some MBHs because it would open up some entirely new physics.
deanhills
I'd also say a large meteor. Or a collision with another planet or the sun? Is that possible?
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
... Or a collision with another planet or the sun? Is that possible?

Exceptionally unlikely, unless something happens to greatly alter orbital paths.
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Exceptionally unlikely, unless something happens to greatly alter orbital paths.

I think the main point of this thread was to gather others opinions, not to debate others opinions. But if the OP wants to debate... well go on ahead. Smile
Ankhanu
Well, Dean asked if it was possible; having a question hang kinda sucks, so I addressed it Wink
Ghost Rider103
Fair enough. Very Happy

But honestly, Bondings not being human, I believe may have the powers to destroy the earth. So unless activity continues to rise on Frihost, well... the earth may be destroyed much sooner than we think. Laughing
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I think the main point of this thread was to gather others opinions, not to debate others opinions. But if the OP wants to debate... well go on ahead. Smile
Thanks Ghost Rider. Completely agree with you on this.

Ankhanu wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Right, like after a crash with a giant meteor for example! I genuinely believe that everything is possible. You may be able to quote documentation to corroborate the "exceptionally unlikely", but maybe in a hundred years there may be lots of new information. The world definitely never stays the same, it is constantly evolving.

Discovered this guy on YouTube tonight and found his explanation about how we see the world very interesting.

Very Happy
Peterssidan
I don't understand why so many people talk about human activities and pollution. Pollution will not affect the planet as a celestial body and I doubt humans can destroy earth even if we tried really hard.

My guess is that the sun will destroy earth. A meteor is also possible (maybe a meteor could save the planet one day by throwing earth out of orbit). What about black holes? Do we know that black holes will not come in high speed and swallow earth? Those who speaks about aliens have watched too many TV shows in my opinion :p I don't believe in that at all.

This results in the following list ordered by likelihood:
  1. The sun
  2. Meteor
  3. Black hole
  4. Something else
  5. Aliens
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I don't understand why so many people talk about human activities and pollution. Pollution will not affect the planet as a celestial body and I doubt humans can destroy earth even if we tried really hard.

My guess is that the sun will destroy earth. A meteor is also possible (maybe a meteor could save the planet one day by throwing earth out of orbit). What about black holes? Do we know that black holes will not come in high speed and swallow earth? Those who speaks about aliens have watched too many TV shows in my opinion :p I don't believe in that at all.

This results in the following list ordered by likelihood:
  1. The sun
  2. Meteor
  3. Black hole
  4. Something else
  5. Aliens

I like your list Peterssidan. Mine would probably be exactly the same.