FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do westerners know little about eastern education system?

inuyasha
In China, Japan, Korea and many eastern countries, people usuallly compare their local education system with western countries like the UK, the US and Canada. It's believed that their education system is not nearly good enough. The advantages of education system in western countries are always highlighted and complaints about that in their homeland can be seen quite often, especially among students.
I wonder if westerners know about eastern education system? Do westerners also believe their education system is better? Or don't care about it at all?
standready
I don't know enough about the education system in eastern countries to answer. I will say the US education system has become a joke.
inuyasha
standready wrote:
I don't know enough about the education system in eastern countries to answer. I will say the US education system has become a joke.

Oh, I see you're from India. what do you mean by "a joke"? Indians believe American education system is not so good as it used to be?
Radar
I have a rough awareness that many non-Western countries have a much longer school year than Western countries.
Mrs Lycos
inuyasha it says you're located in Hong-Kong, if this is so, you may have a better view of what Eastern Education is, and we could make a comparison here, I believe it would be very interesting to discuss the points in common, and differences, and come to a conclusion together. Personally, I don't know anything about the education system in Eastern countries, so if you could provide an insight it would be great.
shivaghimire
I don't know much on western education system but it has become fashion for abroad education so many of my friends have been to US, UK, Canada, Cyprus, Norway and other western countries where people think could get good education and they have much more chance to get employment in eastern countries. But I think we can get a better education in eastern countries too. Many students from Nepal have gone to India, a neighbor and eastern country where good education system is followed. There we can find many such universities which follow both eastern and western education system.
The main difference in eastern and western countries is focusing on theoretical or practical parts. In eastern countries the universities have started to follow both parts equally. But I don't know much about western countries, I have heard they focus on practical more. I have written as listened from friends and and experienced from Nepalese universities.
inuyasha
shivaghimire wrote:
I don't know much on western education system but it has become fashion for abroad education so many of my friends have been to US, UK, Canada, Cyprus, Norway and other western countries where people think could get good education and they have much more chance to get employment in eastern countries. But I think we can get a better education in eastern countries too. Many students from Nepal have gone to India, a neighbor and eastern country where good education system is followed. There we can find many such universities which follow both eastern and western education system.
The main difference in eastern and western countries is focusing on theoretical or practical parts. In eastern countries the universities have started to follow both parts equally. But I don't know much about western countries, I have heard they focus on practical more. I have written as listened from friends and and experienced from Nepalese universities.

Educators in China have been trying to reform the education system as well. But it seems to have made no difference. But it's weird that in China we are told the main difference is that western countries attach more importance to creativity. Smile Smile
Hello_World
I don't know that much about the Eastern education system, but i can tell you the stereotypes we think, and perhaps you can tell me if they are true...

On one hand, I hear you guys have very large class sizes and very high disipline. This is a negative because there cannot be as much individual attention to each student and their needs, to cater to differing abilities.

I think perhaps our education is more holistic. Not sure. More creativity - probable.

On the other hand, I think students up there have a better respect for their teachers and education and thus are better able to learn and study and achieve. Parents support the school.

Here, so much time is spent on poor behaviour, that sometimes the learning is held back a little for the whole class, children don't do that much study at home, parents often side with their children when their children are doing the wrong thing, these things hold western classes back.

Our schools are not as competitive, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I know that in India, their maths is at a higher level than ours.

It is commonly thought that Asians are smarter than us.

(PS I think standready is from Indiana, USA, not India).

I am talking about school though, not university. I have no idea about eastern universities.

From Australia.
inuyasha
Hello_World wrote:
I don't know that much about the Eastern education system, but i can tell you the stereotypes we think, and perhaps you can tell me if they are true...

On one hand, I hear you guys have very large class sizes and very high disipline. This is a negative because there cannot be as much individual attention to each student and their needs, to cater to differing abilities.

I think perhaps our education is more holistic. Not sure. More creativity - probable.

On the other hand, I think students up there have a better respect for their teachers and education and thus are better able to learn and study and achieve. Parents support the school.

Here, so much time is spent on poor behaviour, that sometimes the learning is held back a little for the whole class, children don't do that much study at home, parents often side with their children when their children are doing the wrong thing, these things hold western classes back.

Our schools are not as competitive, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

I know that in India, their maths is at a higher level than ours.

It is commonly thought that Asians are smarter than us.

(PS I think standready is from Indiana, USA, not India).

I am talking about school though, not university. I have no idea about eastern universities.

From Australia.

I can't agree more. I'm really surprised you know very well about education system in China. As you have said, creativity is always ignored in school. Though teachers in universities complain that students lack creativity, passion and critical thinking, it seems already too late. Sad Some foreign teachers are always confused why they can hardly excite us in class. Honestly, we are already used to listening and finishing homework, no discussion.