FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


frihost Android or iOS Application





jilbs
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?
metalfreek
I don't think we have that kind of app as far as I know.
ocalhoun
What would such an app do, that a mobile-friendly version of the website couldn't?
Ghost Rider103
I'd prefer an app over a mobile version myself, but a mobile version would also be good.

I brought this up a while back, and i don't think Bondings was up to the task of creating an app for the site. But a mobile version of the site was definitely in question. Not sure if it's been worked on yet or not.

Edit: Here's the thread http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-114155.html
Asap170
Not sure what we want it to do, but I am sure there are programmers willing to help create it on this site. I would be one of them!
cybersa
http://www.tapatalk.com/
This website will help Bondings.

This suggestion will help all users.
Because all have good smartphone.
ocalhoun
cybersa wrote:

Because all have good smartphone.

Actually, some of us have phones that cost $20 four years ago.

Why? To get a phone bill that averages out to around $16/mo.
adri
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?


We don't have it yet because Frihost doesn't have a developer team. Confused

--
Off-topic: I have a Smartphone that costed me 230€ but I have a prepaid SIM-card. Smile So I only pay what I use which is perfect because I can last around 6 months with 15€. Very Happy


adri
badai
how to view this forum in mobile format?

if i use my phone, it just show the "desktop" format.

there are few apps in android market when i search phpbb

https://market.android.com/search?q=phpbb&so=1&c=apps

will try them later.
jilbs
adri wrote:
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?


We don't have it yet because Frihost doesn't have a developer team. Confused

--
Off-topic: I have a Smartphone that costed me 230€ but I have a prepaid SIM-card. Smile So I only pay what I use which is perfect because I can last around 6 months with 15€. Very Happy


adri


Maybe we don't have yet, I just wish i know how to do one because i would probably help out. A dedicated app for frihost in marketplace or in AppStore will bring our Site to the next level. It'll be cool right? just thinking aloud Smile
cybersa
adri wrote:
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?


We don't have it yet because Frihost doesn't have a developer team. Confused

--
Off-topic: I have a Smartphone that costed me 230€ but I have a prepaid SIM-card. Smile So I only pay what I use which is perfect because I can last around 6 months with 15€. Very Happy


adri

We don't need Developer team.
Simply we have to add forum to Taptalk.It is free also.
jilbs
cybersa wrote:
adri wrote:
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?


We don't have it yet because Frihost doesn't have a developer team. Confused

--
Off-topic: I have a Smartphone that costed me 230€ but I have a prepaid SIM-card. Smile So I only pay what I use which is perfect because I can last around 6 months with 15€. Very Happy


adri

We don't need Developer team.
Simply we have to add forum to Taptalk.It is free also.


I wish it was. but i just checked now, it's 2.99 in the marketplace and 2.99 in the AppStore. Tapatalk supports like 80K forums there is. but maybe a dedicated app will be neat.

Im sure there's lots of members who knows how to make android apps. Maybe bondings can put an ad on the mainpage and give some coins in return. It would be a great chance for all. also to get into app programming. What do you say?
Ghost Rider103
Hey theirs an idea. Make an official Frihost contest for someone to make an actual Frihost app.

I know there is a lot of willing people here that would help out in developing one.

Idea Speaking of developing contests... maybe there should be a contest for creating websites, we could do teams and coins could be split throughout the team. Whoever has the best website idea wins x amount of coins or possibly a domain name for the website they create.

Auto-sign me up if this happens, Lol. This would be an excellent idea in helping people get ideas together. Would also give people with ideas the opportunity to team up with others to actually get their idea out there. Idea
Asap170
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Hey theirs an idea. Make an official Frihost contest for someone to make an actual Frihost app.

I know there is a lot of willing people here that would help out in developing one.

Idea Speaking of developing contests... maybe there should be a contest for creating websites, we could do teams and coins could be split throughout the team. Whoever has the best website idea wins x amount of coins or possibly a domain name for the website they create.

Auto-sign me up if this happens, Lol. This would be an excellent idea in helping people get ideas together. Would also give people with ideas the opportunity to team up with others to actually get their idea out there. Idea


I would only develop for Windows Phone but that's it. Apple = fail
cybersa
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Hey theirs an idea. Make an official Frihost contest for someone to make an actual Frihost app.

I know there is a lot of willing people here that would help out in developing one.

Idea Speaking of developing contests... maybe there should be a contest for creating websites, we could do teams and coins could be split throughout the team. Whoever has the best website idea wins x amount of coins or possibly a domain name for the website they create.

Auto-sign me up if this happens, Lol. This would be an excellent idea in helping people get ideas together. Would also give people with ideas the opportunity to team up with others to actually get their idea out there. Idea

Nice Idea.
I'm new to Android development.
But created one app.
I will try to help you.
ExMachina
I would just like to see a mobile version of the webpage optimized for use on smartphones. That way I can keep my points up during my downtime away from the computer. Razz
Gitesh
what you guys think. would android app be agreat idea for frihost community?
cresvale
Yes it's the right time. go ahead
ocalhoun
moved to suggestions
william
I certainly feel Frihost should get Tapatalk support (was a bit disappointed to not see it). It's available on multiple platforms (Android, iOS, and Blackberry) so it seems fairly useful. Though, as far as I know, Tapatalk doesn't support phpBB2, so you would have to either upgrade (which is unlikely to be happening based on the amount of work it will take to get old mods over to a new version) or make your own application.

I don't know if anyone in the staff has time to do it, but perhaps someone familiar with the Android SDK could give it a shot?
deanhills
Excellent suggestion! I think it has been made before however, and Bondings was thinking about it at the time as well.
Bondings wrote:
I'll create a low-bandwidth option for the forums, without signatures and avatars. I will first finish some other stuff, like the competitions, though.

Source: Mobile Version of Frihost - February 2010
Ghost Rider103
So nobody gets confused, this topic was merged with the other recent app suggestion topic.

However the link to the thread Dean has given is still it's own topic. So if you want to read what was all said about this suggestion before you can here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=946563
deanhills
Thanks Ghostrider. The link of the 2010 post I referred to in my previous post was a third topic. Thanks for keeping it as it is.

Feel really sorry for Bondings. Not enough time, and a very VERY long To Do List! Wish he could delegate more of his tasks. Do you have experience with designing Websites for mobile phones? That does take some specialist knowledge doesn't it? As not all of the phones are the same.
Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
No, but I have a buddy that helps me on most of my development projects that can.

I can design the interface of one and have a buddy develop it. However, Bondings only wants to do most of the things around here himself for experience. Not sure if that has changed or not.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
No, but I have a buddy that helps me on most of my development projects that can.

I can design the interface of one and have a buddy develop it. However, Bondings only wants to do most of the things around here himself for experience. Not sure if that has changed or not.
I'm crossing fingers that he has. I'm quite excited about a new look. Does not have to be earth shattering, but something that has a nice clean design to it. And if we can get into tablets, ipad, iphone etc. all the better.
Smile
rajpk
nice idea and Management should work upon it
to spread forum to all smartphones like iPhone android blackberry
vote for this thread
hj32853
i like the idea....it will really help me
deanhills
rajpk wrote:
nice idea and Management should work upon it
to spread forum to all smartphones like iPhone android blackberry
vote for this thread
Right! It probably should be quite high on the priority list, maybe simultaneously with a "new look". Would definitely help the posts along if people could post on their phones.
futurcat
Anyone used ForumTouch and can recommend this over another one?

At least this one is free.
futurcat
futurcat wrote:
Anyone used ForumTouch and can recommend this over another one?

At least this one is free.


Well, in fact it does not seem to work with this forum.

Any recommendation?
Asap170
Just hold on people. Wait a few months and hopefully IceCream and I can get an app pushed out for the Windows Phone for Frihost. Hopefully....
futurcat
Asap170 wrote:
Just hold on people. Wait a few months and hopefully IceCream and I can get an app pushed out for the Windows Phone for Frihost. Hopefully....


Just a few use Windows Phone, I am being told.
Ghost Rider103
Yes the Windows phone probably wouldn't be one of the best phones to release an app to first. The Android and iOS platforms are currently much more common.
futurcat
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Yes the Windows phone probably wouldn't be one of the best phones to release an app to first. The Android and iOS platforms are currently much more common.


In fact an app written on html 5 would be ideal.
Asap170
How does HTML 5 play a role in this. All it is is a few more things added to HTML nothing that I would see as beneficial.

I would develop for other phones but I have a windows phone so that's what I develop. I might get the stuff to make Android apps as well so at least it could be available there...
Ghost Rider103
Maybe you should run a poll on the general chat to see how many users here are using a Windows phone, and of they would use a Frihost app of one was developed for the windows phone.

I can't think of any users here that are using a windows phone other than you. Not that I know what phone everyone is using, but I know quite a few users who use an androids or an iPhone. Bondings currently being an android user. Last I knew anyways.

Just saying, you might want to make sure there would be more people than just you that would use the app. As surely the app wouldn't really be an ideal way to gain new members, possible but highly unlikely. So if it was only you and a select few members it wouldn't really be worth the time in my opinion.

Just throwing that out there, something to think about...
futurcat
Asap170 wrote:
How does HTML 5 play a role in this. All it is is a few more things added to HTML nothing that I would see as beneficial.

I would develop for other phones but I have a windows phone so that's what I develop. I might get the stuff to make Android apps as well so at least it could be available there...


I understand that html 5 is a platform that allows app development so that it is more portable between platforms. Probably there are certain smartphone features you do not have access to with such a standard platform, like importing agenda items or so, but to access a forum it should be good enough.
Asap170
Just want to say that check here for updates: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-135698.html
sathishbl
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?



ya....but i dont think so it will be usefull for us or not....because so many websites are there for android apps ....so
Ghost Rider103
sathishbl wrote:
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?



ya....but i dont think so it will be usefull for us or not....because so many websites are there for android apps ....so


So what exactly are you trying to say? Question
Asap170
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
sathishbl wrote:
jilbs wrote:
Hi, i wonder if we can have an android or iOS based frihost application. Do we or we don't have yet?



ya....but i dont think so it will be usefull for us or not....because so many websites are there for android apps ....so


So what exactly are you trying to say? Question


Either or guys I am seriously going to finish it. my friend I am working with probably can do it for iOS devices once I give him the source code. We are currently working out one slight issue, but I have a way to engineer it to work...
johans
i have a friend having android 2.3 phone and i tried to browse the frihost forum page.. the problem is i cannot log-in.. I am using the android browser.. i guess the default browser is not compatible with phpBB..

Any one experience same issue?
Related topics
Hosting Silverlight applications on Frihost.
Thoughts on windows phone 7?
Amazon plans an application store for Android
Frihost Contest Idea
Akýllý deðil ama çok farklý
Layoff
Recognizing Spam on FriHost
Android mi iphone ios mu?
viber uygulamasý
iphone 5
Blackberry Torch
Frihost Android App
December Goal - 5000 posts
AstroTwister Live Wallpaper for Android! Frihost Original!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.