FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Playing Games in 3D

Deferment
I have a LG D2342 3D LED monitor, this monitor will convert your 2D games too 3D. It's pretty awesome. But i only play it in 3D sometimes because it is still annoying Razz So what do you think? If we already can play games in 3D what will the future bring us?

What do you think of 3D gaming?
wombatrpgs
I don't know, I've always found it gimmicky, like most of the 2D movie stuff. Though "converting" to 3D sounds pretty interesting, it's hard to actually do anything with it when the content isn't designed for 3D, right...? Or am I mistaken?
catscratches
It's no wonder if it's annoying when you're trying to convert a flat image to 3D.

I really don't see the purpose of 3D... To me, all it does is break immersion (and give me headaches).
Deferment
well that converting is not a problem, the monitor converts the video's/games/images very well. Obviously, how better the 3D quality the better its being converted.

here's a review of my monitor:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWeya_OsU2A[/youtube]
Nameless
catscratches wrote:
I really don't see the purpose of 3D... To me, all it does is break immersion (and give me headaches).

To be fair, it only breaks immersion because you're used to staring at 2D screens. If EVERYTHING used 3D, then it would actually be more natural and you'd find 2D breaking immersion.
drunkenkoz
The last time I checked all games these days are made in 3D.
catscratches
^Certainly not.

Quote:
To be fair, it only breaks immersion because you're used to staring at 2D screens. If EVERYTHING used 3D, then it would actually be more natural and you'd find 2D breaking immersion.
Well, all of my life is in 3D so I'm not unacustomed to the concept. Laughing
wombatrpgs
drunkenkoz wrote:

3D in terms of physics, maybe, not display.
Nameless
wombatrpgs wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

3D in terms of physics, maybe, not display.

... that's so far from correct that it makes me a little sad.
drunkenkoz
Oh you guys are talking about the monitor actually showing 3D in front of your eyes like when you go to a 3D imax movie. I get what you mean.

The day we get that is the day people will be able to hack our brains.
catscratches
Even so, more new games are still 2D than "3D". The mobile and browser game markets are huge right now, and typically in 2D. Indie-games also tend to be 2D.
Deferment
well, i compare with the transition from recordplayer to a cd player, that transition took a long time. I think this will be the same. Time will tell us
Nameless
Deferment wrote:
well, i compare with the transition from recordplayer to a cd player, that transition took a long time.

This isn't really the same thing - moving to CD players was a purely a change in format, while 2D to 3D is a change in content that not everybody enjoys.
ExMachina
I find 3D to be nauseating and gimmicky...I will never pay the extra $3-$4 for a 3D movie ticket just to have my senses battered and assaulted while I try to enjoy a potentially good movie. For video games its the exact same thing, I want to focus on the content of the video and the gameplay, not things flying at my face.

The only types of games that might be enjoyable in 3D would be shooters/flying games, though I would think they would have to be specifically designed in 3D and not just "converted".
wombatrpgs
ExMachina wrote:
I find 3D to be nauseating and gimmicky...I will never pay the extra $3-$4 for a 3D movie ticket just to have my senses battered and assaulted while I try to enjoy a potentially good movie. For video games its the exact same thing, I want to focus on the content of the video and the gameplay, not things flying at my face.

Well, as the games aren't originally designed for 3D, I'm sure there won't be any gimmicks of that sort... but still, it'd seem rather useless without the 3D design in the first place.
emanuel2
i have a 3d capable laptop, but i never really use it. Because it very exhausting for the eyes if you play computer games with it. And i didnt watched any 3d movie before
vidafenomenal
3D looks like not so natural. I don't like it at present.
ato784
I find this topic to be very interesting, many people like the idea, myself included, that we can play games and see movies in 3d. however, we are still not at a level of technology to have true 3d movies, or multidimensional 3D as i like to call it. when we have that technology nobody will have any complaints about 3d, since it will just look real. the 3d that we have today is really just an optical illusion, and since we have not yet perfected the technology our eye;s can tell the difference between what is real and what is not, thus breaking the illusion as a previous user stated.
Deferment
emanuel2 wrote:
i have a 3d capable laptop, but i never really use it. Because it very exhausting for the eyes if you play computer games with it. And i didnt watched any 3d movie before

On your laptop or any 3d movie like in cinemas? Why don't give it a try?
weableandbob
I personally don't like 3D in anything. It gives me a headache, and it doesn't add much to the experience, if anything at all. Plus, I have to wonder if it can actually affect how well you play, which wouldn't be good for me, since I play semi-competitively.
wombatrpgs
Deferment wrote:
emanuel2 wrote:

On your laptop or any 3d movie like in cinemas? Why don't give it a try?

It's probably some technology like the original poster's rather than a full cinematic glasses thing. I haven't seen any home stuff like that.