FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Motherboard swap

Tony The Tiger
I have been having problems with my power connection. HP had my computer from 8/2-8/12 and 8/16-8/24. On the second repair they swapped out my motherboard. When they did they gave me a 120 Watt powercord instead of the 90 Watt one. I assume that means the new motherboard uses more power. It seems to be the case since they say they did not swap my battery and my batterylife has fallen from 3.5 to 2.5 hours although my full system backup time has fallen to 4:10 from nearly 5 hours.
ocalhoun
It might draw more power, but I kind of doubt it... I think they'd be much more likely to install a motherboard identical to the original one, particularly on a laptop where not many different types would fit properly.

It's possible they just sent a 120w power supply because they ran out of 90w ones, and the power supply needed to be replaced.

As for loss of battery life... It could be increased power draw, but gradually decreasing battery life is typical for aging laptops.
coolclay
Agreed it would be strange for them to swap with a higher power hungry motherboard (if that even exists). My only thought is that maybe they upgraded your processor as a thank you or something. That would cause your symptoms. Just check your processor see how fast it's running and whether or not it's different than before (of course that means you need to know what it was before).
Tony The Tiger
coolclay wrote:
Agreed it would be strange for them to swap with a higher power hungry motherboard (if that even exists). My only thought is that maybe they upgraded your processor as a thank you or something. That would cause your symptoms. Just check your processor see how fast it's running and whether or not it's different than before (of course that means you need to know what it was before).

I do not know what my processor was before, but I do know it backed up my computer faster with the new motherboard configuration. They did not claim to change the processor. Can a new motherboard improve backup times by 15-20% without a new processor? They said that they did not change the battery and the battery before the first repair ran for 3.5 hours. I sent them the machine for a third time on August 29th and it is not due back until September 8th. If it does not come back until the 8th, HP will have had my computer for 28 of 37 days. Hopefully, they can get my problem fixed.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
It might draw more power, but I kind of doubt it... I think they'd be much more likely to install a motherboard identical to the original one, particularly on a laptop where not many different types would fit properly.

It's possible they just sent a 120w power supply because they ran out of 90w ones, and the power supply needed to be replaced.

As for loss of battery life... It could be increased power draw, but gradually decreasing battery life is typical for aging laptops.

I have had my computer for over a year and it still had a 3.5 hour battery life on August 2. Suddenly dropping to 2.5 hour battery life in three weeks while it is at Hewlett Packard is not what you call "gradually decreasing battery life"
ocalhoun
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Can a new motherboard improve backup times by 15-20% without a new processor?

It's possible.
It all depends on what the bottleneck was before then...
For any process on a computer, the speed will be determined by the bottleneck; ie, the slowest component that is involved in the process.
If, on the old motherboard, the chipsets, busses, memory, et cetera was the slowest point, then improving those could greatly improve the speed of that process.

*edit*

One likely possibility for the decreased battery life is the power saving settings. Some of these settings might be set in the BIOS of the motherboard*, and perhaps the new motherboard is not yet set up to optimize battery life, while the old motherboard was.

*Even if the settings were made through software on your computer while fully running, some laptops have utilities that change BIOS settings while running the full OS, by using special utility programs.
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Can a new motherboard improve backup times by 15-20% without a new processor?

One likely possibility for the decreased battery life is the power saving settings. Some of these settings might be set in the BIOS of the motherboard*, and perhaps the new motherboard is not yet set up to optimize battery life, while the old motherboard was.

I just got my computer back. I'll be checking on some of these issues.