FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Finally some justice for a PO

Afaceinthematrix
I have always despised police officers. I don't trust them. I think many are corrupt. I think they're, for the most part, self-righteous ass holes, etc. So it makes me happy to read about one police officer who actually went to jail for not doing her job, doing a major disservice to the people of Scotland, and just pure stupidity.

Quote:
A Strathclyde Police officer who "could not be bothered" to arrest a suspected robber has been jailed for 12 months.

Full Article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14665556

I think this world needs a general crackdown on corrupt police officers and corrupt authority figures (which exist everywhere, but in some countries, such as Mexico, it's much worse). I would have been irate (well I am anyways, but more so) if this guy had been trying to burglarize my property.
badai
this is not corruption. this is laziness.
coolclay
Quote:
I have always despised police officers. I don't trust them
This may be your first problem. There is corruption everywhere if you look hard enough, in fact I am sure if I told you to go punch an innocent person for a million dollars, then you would be corrupt too. It's a job, and it's certainly a dangerous one at that. To get paid the amount of money an officer does for the amount of danger and crap they have to go through dealing with a-holes (like you) every single day I don't think I could do it for twice the amount most cops are paid. Are there corrupt cops out there of course, are there corrupt teachers of course, politicians, etc the point is you have some serious respect for authority issues that have much deeper roots than just oh yea some cops are lazy or corrupt or whatever.

At the end of the day if you respect an officer they'll respect you, and whether you respect them or not will STILL sacrifice their lives to save you if placed in that situation any time or place, period.

Mexico on the other hand is a whole different story, that requires a whole other topic!
Hello_World
I don't understand why people get so upset at cops. If there were no cops, the place would be a shithole.

There are some bad ones but on the whole most are there doing the best they can for you and me.

I agree with coolclay and I don't want to appear haughty but for the most part they are great people who deserve respect.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
To get paid the amount of money an officer does for the amount of danger and crap they have to go through

Hm...
*googles most dangerous jobs*
1- fisherman
2- logger
3- pilot
4- farmer
5- roofer
6- ironworker
7- sanitation worker
8- industrial machinist
9- truck driver
10- construction laborer

This 'police officers should get special consideration because their job is dangerous' argument is wearing thin.

Actually, they should be held to a higher standard because of the power that has been vested in them.

Hello_World wrote:

There are some bad ones but on the whole most are there doing the best they can for you and me.

The problem is that those 'most' are slightly bad.
They almost always are willing to help cover up abuses by the bad ones.
They often think that they should get more respect than the common citizen.
They often think that they should be treated differently by the law than the common citizen.*
They often are treated differently by the law than the common citizen.

They're just police officers. They are NOT super-heroes.** They are NOT a superior class of citizens. They should not be treated as such.

*ie, that they should be able to get away with more, and also that crimes against them should be far more important than crimes against ordinary citizens.
** For every heroic cop, there's five that are lazy, corrupt, abusive, and/or incompetent.
loremar
In my country (in Manila actually), policemen do most of the dirty works. Killing, stealing, raping, you name it. Not to mention last year, a retired senior officer killed 8 Hong Kong Nationals he took hostage in a bus. And the entire world just laughed at how the Manila Police did their job in the situation. They were making crap out of themselves. Long time ago, they used to be well respected in the community, now they're losing their dignity/integrity by committing crimes, protecting criminals, abusing/torturing criminals, killing criminals and throwing them at the bridge, slamming innocents to jail, extortion, and violating standard operating rules. I would say last recent years were just too scandalous for policemen, they've done abominable things.

I actually listen to this radio show and I am shocked by how many complaints there are against policemen. As the radio host try to take the policemen's side, they'd even defend their mistakes. They think that people should highly respect them because they have the guns. The host can't even stop cursing against these people.
menino
badai wrote:

Laziness is corruption... i.e., your paid a salary to do your job and you don't do it, it is a form of corruption.

I saw some news regarding Mexico pledging to remove corruption from the police forces.

But in India also, a lot of the police are corrupt... and from firsthand experience, it is the traffic police who are corrupt. I've seen them catch you, and then you have to pay them to let you go, and they don't give you the receipt.
Its not always the case, but its more often than not.
I do believe that police officers take an oath to uphold the law, and therefore if they do not uphold the law, they are corrupt and not keeping the citizens safe.
But apart from blaming a police officer from being corrupt, the main thing should be why they are corrupt? It could be that he might be doing what his colleagues might be doing, or he has some other personal problems.
I think its not just Police that are corrupt, but based on the financial situations these days, I think almost everyone has the tendency to be corrupt. Confused
Afaceinthematrix
badai wrote:

Which is corruption! If a police officer watched someone break into my house and didn't do anything then I'd be pretty pissed because I got burglarized and wasted my tax dollars to basically pay someone to stand and watch.

coolclay wrote:
Quote:
I have always despised police officers. I don't trust them
This may be your first problem. There is corruption everywhere if you look hard enough, in fact I am sure if I told you to go punch an innocent person for a million dollars, then you would be corrupt too. It's a job, and it's certainly a dangerous one at that. To get paid the amount of money an officer does for the amount of danger and crap they have to go through dealing with a-holes (like you) every single day I don't think I could do it for twice the amount most cops are paid. Are there corrupt cops out there of course, are there corrupt teachers of course, politicians, etc the point is you have some serious respect for authority issues that have much deeper roots than just oh yea some cops are lazy or corrupt or whatever.

At the end of the day if you respect an officer they'll respect you, and whether you respect them or not will STILL sacrifice their lives to save you if placed in that situation any time or place, period.

Mexico on the other hand is a whole different story, that requires a whole other topic!

I don't think they have that dangerous of a job (I mean seriously, how many actually die from it? There's a very small chance of getting shot whereas there's a much larger chance of getting swept off a fishing boat) and their job definitely isn't difficult. They also get paid very well - especially for a job which requires little education.

The statement that a police officer would die for you is just comical. I've met many and most of them are cowards that avoid confrontation. Yeah they'll bust the defenseless and harmless pothead for having a small bag of weed but if they know someone has an illegal gun they'll probably just run away and let him/her get away with it. But that's not even why I hate police officers.

The biggest reason that I have no respect for them is that they're essentially politicians, support the corruption of politicians, and that they are self-righteous ****** for the most part.
ExMachina
In my experience it's the traffic cops who really irk me...they don't really lay their life on the line and try to catch you barely committing a traffic offense or attempt to trick you into committing one all so that they can make their quota (which in the US, are a de facto policy even if they are "illegal").

It's the worst in wealthy areas where crime isn't even an issue. Cops in these areas (such as my hometown) get paid exorbitant sums for essentially spending their day ticketing people for going 5 miles over in a school zone and then spend the rest of it lounging at the local pizzeria gorging themselves on free food because they have a fancy badge.

I can, however, respect the officers who actually put themselves in danger when it comes to gangs, drugs, murderers, hostage situations, etc.

But then again, I'm very much against strict traffic regulations/enforcement so my opinion may be biased against the traffic cops. Rolling Eyes
Afaceinthematrix
ExMachina wrote:
In my experience it's the traffic cops who really irk me...they don't really lay their life on the line and try to catch you barely committing a traffic offense or attempt to trick you into committing one all so that they can make their quota (which in the US, are a de facto policy even if they are "illegal").

It's the worst in wealthy areas where crime isn't even an issue. Cops in these areas (such as my hometown) get paid exorbitant sums for essentially spending their day ticketing people for going 5 miles over in a school zone and then spend the rest of it lounging at the local pizzeria gorging themselves on free food because they have a fancy badge.

I can, however, respect the officers who actually put themselves in danger when it comes to gangs, drugs, murderers, hostage situations, etc.

But then again, I'm very much against strict traffic regulations/enforcement so my opinion may be biased against the traffic cops. :roll:

That is just the part of it... I actually don't mind traffic cops because if people would just follow the damn laws then we wouldn't have so many people dying in accidents. So the way I see it, if you're speeding, running red lights, tailgating, etc. then you're taking absolutely no consideration of my life and you're putting my life in danger and you should be fined for that.

I hate cops for much, much more political reasons and that they're self-righteous arrogant asses. But here's another sad example of police corruption that just recently happened in my area of the world - good 'ol Southern California. These cops should be arrested for murder but chances are, just one of them will be and most of the group will get away with this terrible act because cops are so important that they're above the law.

deanhills
Well if anyone is paid what they consider to be a low wage, they probably would be negotiable along corruption lines. It does not justify corruption, but it may be a clue. Being a police officer can't be a picnic. Particularly in this day and age of violent and senseless killings. Probably easy to argue that since he is putting his life at risk, and getting so little pay for it, he can supplement his income by bending the law a little his way.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
Well if anyone is paid what they consider to be a low wage, they probably would be negotiable along corruption lines. It does not justify corruption, but it may be a clue. Being a police officer can't be a picnic. Particularly in this day and age of violent and senseless killings. Probably easy to argue that since he is putting his life at risk, and getting so little pay for it, he can supplement his income by bending the law a little his way.

Yeah right. This is in the U.K. Police officers there (and here) get paid very well for a job that requires little to no education. The risk also isn't very large. Violent crime has gone down since the 80's and 90's. Their job is relatively easy and so there really is no excuse. Police officers get paid far more than they deserve because they have the slight chance of dying - despite that being a logger is more dangerous. So there really is no excuse.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Yeah right. This is in the U.K. Police officers there (and here) get paid very well for a job that requires little to no education. The risk also isn't very large. Violent crime has gone down since the 80's and 90's. Their job is relatively easy and so there really is no excuse. Police officers get paid far more than they deserve because they have the slight chance of dying - despite that being a logger is more dangerous. So there really is no excuse.
I'm probably watching too many movies. I remember there was that movie with Richard Gere as the corrupt police officer. Now he was REALLY corrupt and dangerous as well. Amazing how one central person can completely brainwash the others into being equally corrupt. Sort of becomes a way of life and they stick together.

I'm sure things are not as bad as how they portray it in the movies in real life, but perhaps a principle of being completely unaware how corrupt they are, applies here as well. It seems to be an attitude of what is owed to them and not given, and that they are therefore entitled to take.
menino
deanhills wrote:
I remember there was that movie with Richard Gere as the corrupt police officer. Now he was REALLY corrupt and dangerous as well.

I remember that movie as well. It was quite a good one, and there are many movies / serials like it.

Still, even if Police officers aren't getting paid enough, it is still their duty to uphold the law. They have been given a responsibility and I believe they take an oath to undertake that responsibility.

Still, the fact that the officer got arrested due to not doing her job speaks volumes that the police force is serious about its function, and therefore the "hate" can't go to all the police officers.

Even in India a lot of police officers are corrupt, and in Pakistan as well, as I had heard from my Pakistani friends.
In India, I know firsthand that its the traffic cops who were corrupt. I'm not sure now and I'm not sure about other departments, but there was a case in India where a local politician got off free after an alleged incident where he was involved with murder, and is still active in politics, from the news I read about him a few weeks ago.

In any case, I don't think all cops should be hated. I thinkt he system has too many loopholes that allow for cops to be corrupted, and I thinkm thats where it should start.
There is a move by Anna Hazare in India to abolish corruption, but its going to take a long time to implement.
deanhills
menino wrote:
In any case, I don't think all cops should be hated. I thinkt he system has too many loopholes that allow for cops to be corrupted, and I thinkm thats where it should start.
There is a move by Anna Hazare in India to abolish corruption, but its going to take a long time to implement.
That may be true, but how does a person know who is corrupt or not. It is usually the person who has the appearance of being really nice who is misleading others. Like in all places in life! Con artists.
Twisted Evil
menino
deanhills wrote:
menino wrote:
That may be true, but how does a person know who is corrupt or not. It is usually the person who has the appearance of being really nice who is misleading others. Like in all places in life! Con artists.
Twisted Evil

True Deanhills, one cannot know if a someone really is good or bad, unless they get to know the person really well and can see through his agendas, as just a few of the criteria.
As far as Anna Hazare is concerned, he has a history of doing good in India, but mainly only those are highlighted. His bad things are not mentioned... so wither they have conveniently left them out, or he has hidden them well... or well.. he could be genuine.
Its hard to believe, because I personally do not trust politicians, for even if a politician is good and has good motives... others won't let them come up... and if you really want to get things done, you have to play the dirty game altogether.
Most politicians do good for others mainly to get votes and recognition.
Some people do not have a choice of voting... its either a choice between the less corrupt, or who can do more for them.
deanhills
menino wrote:
I personally do not trust politicians, for even if a politician is good and has good motives... others won't let them come up... and if you really want to get things done, you have to play the dirty game altogether.
Most politicians do good for others mainly to get votes and recognition.
Some people do not have a choice of voting... its either a choice between the less corrupt, or who can do more for them.
Well said, and I totally agree. Even if the politician is a good person, sooner or later he gets tainted by the system, particularly the one that has him compromising with other parties, and receiving contributions for votes.

Big industry in the US is pretty much the same, being able to purchase votes for legislation that suit them or against legislation they don't like. In the US I get the feeling that there is not a huge difference between big business and government. Government representatives seem to be in the pay of big business. Everything has a price and is negotiable.