FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Possible "no-party" candidate on the ballot in all





Aredon
Recently on the Colbert Report a website caught my attention. http://www.americanselect.org Essentially the idea is to have a nationwide primary via the internet, to choose a candidate to be placed on the ballot and compete against the other two parties. The difference is it doesn't matter what party or affiliations you have, everyone can be a part of this primary. The people that participate will also be involved in shaping an online debate between possible candidates. You also get to see where your views line up with each prospective candidate, and the nation as a whole. I found it to be pretty interesting, and I think it's about time we used the internet for such a thing.

So what do you guys think? Is this a good idea or not? Could you see this bringing about a no-party system where we elect our congresspeople this way?
SonLight
I don't think this will be very effective at delivering a serious candidate, but it's a good idea to try this kind of innovation. Eventually their candidate would need to get a lot of help from special interest groups to get enough funding for the general election campaign. I hope they have a good deal of success in finding a good candidate. This could set the stage for some major change that would last longer than the typical third party effort. I wish them the best.
coolclay
I think it's a wonderful idea, I do support Ron Paul as of now, but don't like 100% of his policies. I signed up for the Americans elect site, lets see what becomes of it.
ocalhoun
Well, something needs to be done to break the strangle-hold the two main parties have on politics...
I doubt it will work, but this is a neat idea about how to do it.
SonLight
I looked at the americanselect.org site some more. The information available gives little clue whether there is a hidden agenda for the site or not. They currently have no candidates and no discussions available. Perhaps that is understandable at this point in the campaign.

I am concerned that they invite you to state your positions on various issues. How do we know what political or commercial interests will have access to this information, given that they do provide it to some third parties? Their privacy policy might make them liable for providing the individual information with the name, but given that they will be verifying voters, I can't help wondering if some such information will leak anyway.

The nomination of a candidate has interesting features. While the goal is to select a President to represent us, they are making the selection of the candidate as direct as possible. I wonder if they have plans to prune the list with multiple rounds of voting? While they don't want to disenfranchise anyone by having the list pruned by a limited portion of the voters, I would think that there would have to be some elimination of the least viable candidates before the final vote. They don't yet discuss the details, except to say they encourage each of us to find candidates we relate to, apparently assuming there will be coalitions and compromise in some form.
handfleisch
SonLight wrote:
I looked at the americanselect.org site some more. The information available gives little clue whether there is a hidden agenda for the site or not. They currently have no candidates and no discussions available. Perhaps that is understandable at this point in the campaign.

I am concerned that they invite you to state your positions on various issues. How do we know what political or commercial interests will have access to this information, given that they do provide it to some third parties? Their privacy policy might make them liable for providing the individual information with the name, but given that they will be verifying voters, I can't help wondering if some such information will leak anyway.


Why does this concern you? Do you want your opinions kept secret? Commercial interests already know all about you just by your internet surfing. When I look at a site to buy camping tents, I automatically get ads for camping supplies wherever I go and camping spam in my emails.
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:


Why does this concern you? Do you want your opinions kept secret? Commercial interests already know all about you just by your internet surfing. When I look at a site to buy camping tents, I automatically get ads for camping supplies wherever I go and camping spam in my emails.


Well, not everybody views this as a good thing. Some take measures to prevent it, but even those who don't likely wouldn't want to hand the information over voluntarily.
Aredon
SonLight wrote:
I don't think this will be very effective at delivering a serious candidate, but it's a good idea to try this kind of innovation. Eventually their candidate would need to get a lot of help from special interest groups to get enough funding for the general election campaign. I hope they have a good deal of success in finding a good candidate. This could set the stage for some major change that would last longer than the typical third party effort. I wish them the best.


I believe the entire point was to avoid having special interests be involved, and don't assume they would need it... The internet is crazy powerful.

SonLight wrote:
I looked at the americanselect.org site some more. The information available gives little clue whether there is a hidden agenda for the site or not. They currently have no candidates and no discussions available. Perhaps that is understandable at this point in the campaign.

Well first of all the site is brand new and those areas aren't actually made yet.
Quote:

I am concerned that they invite you to state your positions on various issues. How do we know what political or commercial interests will have access to this information, given that they do provide it to some third parties? Their privacy policy might make them liable for providing the individual information with the name, but given that they will be verifying voters, I can't help wondering if some such information will leak anyway.
Did you actually read their privacy policy? If it is really of concern to you then I would suggest giving it a read. If you find something that bothers you, email them, ask I they will change it, then decide if you're going to participate. Furthermore what's the major issue here even if it leaks somehow? Better question, who would even profit from having information on your political opinions?

Quote:
The nomination of a candidate has interesting features. While the goal is to select a President to represent us, they are making the selection of the candidate as direct as possible. I wonder if they have plans to prune the list with multiple rounds of voting? While they don't want to disenfranchise anyone by having the list pruned by a limited portion of the voters, I would think that there would have to be some elimination of the least viable candidates before the final vote. They don't yet discuss the details, except to say they encourage each of us to find candidates we relate to, apparently assuming there will be coalitions and compromise in some form.

They will be evaluating them during and after the debate that they host. It is just like any other primary, just nationwide and open to everyone. I guess I should be more specific... By they I mean the users on the site.
Related topics
Stanley "Tookie" Williams
Democrat US Senator Joe Lieberman booted for war-hawk stance
The american presidential primaries
Ralph Nader
Sexism in the US Presidential Election
Apparently, this Obama guy is popular with the media...
Republican poll numbers crashing
Right wing fringe Tea Partiers taking over GOP?
Is the Tea Party a Political Party?
USA Republican Tea Party Candidate Dresses as Nazi
"Run (N-word) Run" email from GOP candidate for NY
More Voting Irregularities
The policies of: Ron Paul
Coming out and the people that come with it
Third Party
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.