FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Genres of books you read when you were a child.

lovescience
What genres of books you read when you were a child?

Do you remember what genres of books you liked the most when you were a child, or the genres of books your friends read the most when you were a child?
loyal
lovescience wrote:
What genres of books you read when you were a child?

Do you remember what genres of books you liked the most when you were a child, or the genres of books your friends read the most when you were a child?

I don't know about genre. I read anything good, such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, books by Ronald Darling, etc. As long as a story has plenty of imagination, it can capture a child's mind.
loremar
When I was a kid, I used to like to read epics and fairytales. lol.
I wasn't a science fan or a horror fan.
Radar
Ah, roughly the same as I do now, although I think with some more mystery and adventure mixed in there, to allow to things such as Enid Blyton.
sketteksalfa
I like history and anything about World war and war events.
Blaster
I hated reading when I was younger. I can only remember a few books I read and actually enjoyed one of which was S.E. Hinton's That was then This is now.

However as I grew older I like reading True Crime books. What goes through peoples minds and how to figure out crime is just interesting to me.
magnustoday
The books that got me into reading are the Hardy Boys.
mazito
the first book that i remember is "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

then "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach

Then "La Busqueda" "the Quest" i guess in english, not relative to the van damme movie, is very close to the "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" but with an eagle and in Mexico

i read all the foot notes from every encyclopedia at home, then start with some parts from a scientific encyclopedia.
Ankhanu
As a child, I pretty much only read reference material, like encyclopedias, National Geographics, and the like, focusing on various animals around the world, particularly birds and fish. My favorite books were field guides to help me identify things out in the woods Wink

As a teen, ,I turned to Sci-fi and Fantasy, and still stick with those genres today, for the most part, with a good smattering of science and other non-fiction.
asnani04
When I was a child, I used to read comics... Smile really loved them! Also, I used to read horror stories...
wombatrpgs
I used to burn through sci-fi/fantasy series when I was younger. It's a little odd as I haven't read anything in that genre for years and years now... I have fond memories of some of them though. And the His Dark Materials trilogy remains my favorite for best children's books.
portoskt
i did not like to read at all when i was younger
wombatrpgs
portoskt wrote:
i did not like to read at all when i was younger

Then what do you read now?
GioMellark
Books with magic and adventures like Harry Potter and Deltora Quest. Smile' Both are such good book-series!
MisterParker
I used to read the Goosebumps horror books and Anthony Horrowitz Public Enemy Number 2
Josso
Errr originally sci-fi (like terry pratchett) some action/drama type stuff, some science and history books. Moved on to largely sci-fi in my early teens to a sort of banks/clarke direction. I occasionly still read science & history but definitely not into bond type stuff anymore.
wombatrpgs
Josso wrote:
Errr originally sci-fi (like terry pratchett) some action/drama type stuff, some science and history books. Moved on to largely sci-fi in my early teens to a sort of banks/clarke direction. I occasionly still read science & history but definitely not into bond type stuff anymore.

My brother reads a lot of Pratchett, but I've never heard him describe it as sci-fi, hm.
Tuvitor
I mostly read a lot of non-fiction as a youth. Science stuff, encyclopedias, tech manuals, et cetera. Throw in some Stephen King and some Isaac Asimov and a few hundred issues of Marvel Comics (I loved/still love the X-Men and their related franchises)... It wasn't until I was in my late teens I got serious about reading literature and fiction.
wombatrpgs
Tuvitor wrote:
I mostly read a lot of non-fiction as a youth. Science stuff, encyclopedias, tech manuals, et cetera. Throw in some Stephen King and some Isaac Asimov and a few hundred issues of Marvel Comics (I loved/still love the X-Men and their related franchises)... It wasn't until I was in my late teens I got serious about reading literature and fiction.

Haha, but is being "serious" about reading more rewarding?
catscratches
wombatrpgs wrote:

My brother reads a lot of Pratchett, but I've never heard him describe it as sci-fi, hm.
Pratchett mostly writes fantasy, but he's also written a couple of science-fiction novels.

I used to read fantasy. Lots of fantasy and nothing else. Usually the pretty mediocre kind.
Tuvitor
wombatrpgs wrote:
Tuvitor wrote:

Haha, but is being "serious" about reading more rewarding?

At that time, yes... but it was because my interest was seriously engaged. When I discovered Tolkien, I ate it up... probably read the whole LOTR saga (with Hobbit as book 1) about six times over that year. Didn't have internet or a lot of money to buy books then, and at the time I was living about 30 miles to the nearest public library... so I did do a lot of re-reading back in the day.

Tolkien made me interested in writing myself, in the process of myth-making and world-building. My stuff veers more sci-fi, ultimately, but his was a model to inspire many.
GuidanceReader
When I was a kid, I loved The Faraway Tree, The lion, witch and wardrobe and anything by Enid Blyton or Beatrix Potter..... Does that give away how old I am??? Harry Potter didn't even exist when I was a kid, but I bet I would have read that too. I also loved The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High series, as well as Paul Jennings and Goosebumps series.
wombatrpgs
GuidanceReader wrote:
When I was a kid, I loved The Faraway Tree, The lion, witch and wardrobe and anything by Enid Blyton or Beatrix Potter..... Does that give away how old I am??? Harry Potter didn't even exist when I was a kid, but I bet I would have read that too. I also loved The Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley High series, as well as Paul Jennings and Goosebumps series.

A lot of those are still fairly popular, I thought? Maybe not so much Enid Blyton, but the others definitely.
drunkenkoz
A huge majority of books I read when I was a child was fantasy fiction.