FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Racing Game Suggestions?

Ryox
What kind of Racing Games do you like playing & what are a list of games like Need for Speed Most Wanted.

I like getting chased by the 5.0 Cops, but its getting rather boring because I play it over & over. Its just getting boring.

Any games that you think my computer can run?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU @ 2.20Ghz 2.20Ghz
RAM: 3GB
64-bit OS

Since my computer is a laptop Its a built-in graphics card which sucks because most games I want to play dont play >_>;
weableandbob
The Dirt games are fairly good racing games, although they lean much more towards the realism side of racing games as opposed to the arcade style. I would think you should be able to run at least Dirt 2, if not Dirt 3 on your computer.
william
An integrated card is going to struggle with Dirt 2 (it requires a minimum of an X1600 or 6800 if I recall correctly). Even if you could run it on low, I don't think Dirt 2 will be that enjoyable without a dedicated card, especially on a laptop.

I think Live for Speed might run pretty well on your system, though. It's more of a racing simulator, so like Dirt it also leans more to the realism side. It's actually one of the best simulators I've ever played, and worth trying for anyone into racing. There is a free version available with one track and three cars to get you started.
Dementei
GRID

My ultimate favorite racing gaming is GRID. It's hands down the best created racing game in the world..everything about it is just amazing.
I normally play FPS but I enjoy a good racing game, and out of all the driving games I've played (NFS/Burnout/Gran Turismo and others) GRID is definitely has the best gameplay, controls, and overall feel of how a racing game should be.
In GRID you have the ability to use a flashback feature to rewind an action after devastating crashes or costly mistakes, very useful and keeps the race flowing and entertaining.

Split/Second

Another very enjoyable and highly intriguing racing game is Split/Second. This will definitely have you playing on the edge of your seat. I can't even fully describe how brilliant this game is, it's the superior action racing game of all racing games ever developed. After enough racing points you will achieve a filled slot used to activate sequences during a race to cause devastating events smashing and crashing your victims, taking their spot in turn. Say for example you are in 2nd place, last lap, got just enough slots filled and he is just seconds from winning.. you activate an oncoming sequence and the nuclear power plant he is racing under explodes as you take another route winning the race. This has to be a never-been-done kind of game that's for sure.

(Also, go to www.canyourunit.com and check how you do for these games.)
wombatrpgs
Haha, I've actually been playing H2 Overdrive recently. It's an arcade machine for hovercraft racing that's actually pretty fun when playing with friends.
achowles
Grid is the racing game I've poured the most time into. For me it represents the best balance between arcade and sim racing (there are a lot of driving aids you can turn on or off to get it how you like it).

The racing is intense and the single player campaign feels perfectly paced and has a lot of variety.
Ryox
These are the racing games I have played before and yes Grid looks awesome, I will try it out..

PS2
(All of the Need for Speeds)

As for PC, I can only handle NFS 2, underground, Most Wanted and Need for Speed Live(the online version)

I have Test Drive unlimited on cd, with the key but it doesnt work for my pc Sad
drunkenkoz
You should try out the new game called APB Reloaded for the PC. It's a game that's currently in beta, but it's really fun.
Ryox
drunkenkoz wrote:
You should try out the new game called APB Reloaded for the PC. It's a game that's currently in beta, but it's really fun.

If it will run on my PC than sure, I will try it out! ^^
Dementei
It's basically GTA for free, but it's PvP (cops vs. bad guys) you can choose who you want to work for, the car mechanics are pretty legit it can be hilarious to play at times..it will require a decent cpu/gfx you can try for it but don't know.

I do highly recommend getting GRID or Split Second for sure though.
You can go to www.canyourunit.com to see how well your computer can handle any game.
Ryox
Dementei wrote:
It's basically GTA for free, but it's PvP (cops vs. bad guys) you can choose who you want to work for, the car mechanics are pretty legit it can be hilarious to play at times..it will require a decent cpu/gfx you can try for it but don't know.

You can go to www.canyourunit.com to see how well your computer can handle any game.

I will try out these games when I do have internet. I love playing racing games with a passion and I would love to play more of them but because of me owning just a laptop and don't have a job. I really can't do anything about it til I get a job and build my own desktop when I have the money for Racing Games, or any sort of games for that matter.

It does truly suck but I have to deal with it until that time!
Dementei
Ryox wrote:
Dementei wrote:

I will try out these games when I do have internet. I love playing racing games with a passion and I would love to play more of them but because of me owning just a laptop and don't have a job. I really can't do anything about it til I get a job and build my own desktop when I have the money for Racing Games, or any sort of games for that matter.

Ah I understand, been there, and that's what I had to go through too. From bad laptop, to job, to gaming desktop in first several paychecks haha.
When the time comes and you need assistance for finding a good set of parts you can get a hold of me on here.
cybersa
I'm also like NFS Most Wanted.
I think now no games are like NFS Most wanted.
Now i like Dirt 3 among racing....

My Suggestion while playing hi end graphic game,
Change the resolution to low.
and other settings to low.
Now game will work better.
Ryox
cybersa wrote:
I'm also like NFS Most Wanted.
I think now no games are like NFS Most wanted.
Now i like Dirt 3 among racing....

My Suggestion while playing hi end graphic game,
Change the resolution to low.
and other settings to low.
Now game will work better.

No matter if you set everything to Low, especially if its a laptop on board graphics It won't handle anything extreme. It would refuse the graphics and reject you..

High End Racing Games with huge amount of graphics and details are usually the ones you want to stay away from, At least the ones that are related to Realistic driving.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted isn't high tech, therefore It doesn't require alot of graphics to run such a game. That's why I enjoy playing it but It's getting boring and I am trying to find something new to play rather.

That is why I am lurking to find new racing games that don't take up so much Memory, Graphics and things that a Regular standard laptop can run without any hassle. I only have onboard graphics which most racing games do not accept and reject.
Ryox
Dementei wrote:
Ryox wrote:
Dementei wrote:

Ah I understand, been there, and that's what I had to go through too. From bad laptop, to job, to gaming desktop in first several paychecks haha.
When the time comes and you need assistance for finding a good set of parts you can get a hold of me on here.

I already have a desktop in mind to build, but it's going to be spendy but It's well worth the $..
http://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/page5.html is what I want to build.

If you know of anything better than that, Let me know! I'm willing to pay it when I get a job but I am going to go slow on buying the parts and setting em aside from paycheck to paycheck, buying only pieces at of a time. That way I won't be spending my whole paycheck on just three parts when I have can have money for like Bills, yea.. That should be important lol
Dementei
Ah 4,560$.. I was thinking like 600-700$.. haha wow.
Shouldn't have to spend more than a thousand IMO for any gaming desktop, save your money. There are no games to date that will require such hardware know what I mean? It's your money so up to you ha.
Ryox
Grid is installed by when I load it, just gives me a BLACK Screen and wont load futher. :/

Grid & Split/Second WILL NOT offically run on my laptop Sad
vidafenomenal
still think Need for speed is the winner.
Ryox
drunkenkoz wrote:

APB Reloaded is nice but It's really glitchy & Slow, I don't think my graphics on my laptop can handle it with it being on-board graphics. Maybe when I get a gaming desktop I can do it.
Dementei
If you are getting a black screen then that just means your onboard gfx doesn't have shader model 3, gonna have to upgrade to a new laptop or I prefer getting a desktop if you want to truly game.
wombatrpgs
I got some serious nostalgia yesterday and decided to boot up the old Lego Racers game. There's not much depth, but it was still entertaining.
Ryox
Dementei wrote:
If you are getting a black screen then that just means your onboard gfx doesn't have shader model 3, gonna have to upgrade to a new laptop or I prefer getting a desktop if you want to truly game.

Oh ok, For now... What can I play.. I will be buying a gaming desktop in the future though.
Dementei
Ryox wrote:

Oh ok, For now... What can I play.. I will be buying a gaming desktop in the future though.

Well there's a free racing game called TrackMania Nations Forever if you want to give that a go:
http://trackmaniaforever.com/
Or if you have Steam it's on there:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11020/

And there is also another free one called HEAT Online (formally Project Torque), which I haven't played but you can try it:
http://www.heatonline.com/
CraigHF
achowles wrote:
Grid is the racing game I've poured the most time into. For me it represents the best balance between arcade and sim racing (there are a lot of driving aids you can turn on or off to get it how you like it).

The racing is intense and the single player campaign feels perfectly paced and has a lot of variety.

I definetly agree with you bud!

Grid looks gorgeous and the gameplay is great... I think I played through the whole game like 3 or 4 times, and I'm reconsidering it Razz

BTW... a GRID2 would be nice, anybody knows if it's in th way!?
Dementei
CraigHF wrote:

BTW... a GRID2 would be nice, anybody knows if it's in th way!?

Summer 2012.
http://gametecknow.com/2011/08/codemasters-race-driver-grid-2-release-date-news-details/
wombatrpgs
Dementei wrote:

This looks amazing.
Ryox
wombatrpgs wrote:
Dementei wrote:

This looks amazing.

wow, that looks weird!!! I wanna play that now lol.. make you dizzy going round and round lol
Dementei
Try it out bro, I'm sure you'll like it and you should be able to run it fine.
Gitesh
for your configuration ., you can easily run burnout paradise., as i have tested it on my 2GB RAM, 2.2 GHz laptop.
You need to decrease the graphics clarity little bit.
Dementei
Gitesh wrote:
for your configuration ., you can easily run burnout paradise., as i have tested it on my 2GB RAM, 2.2 GHz laptop.
You need to decrease the graphics clarity little bit.

That's a good game too, for the most part, here's a quick video comparison though:

Burnout Paradise

Split/Second
_AVG_
After my friend got a PS I stopped playing games on my PC that much (the TV screen is just so much larger!)

Anyway, given your computer configuration, I'd recommend Need For Speed Carbon (I believe there's a PC Version of that, or at least there was ...)

It's definitely one of the most entertaining games I've played! Smile
iamoldchi
[quote="Ryox"]What kind of Racing Games do you like playing & what are a list of games like Need for Speed Most Wanted.

gammer racing