FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

(Help) Buidling a Gaming Desktop

Ryox
I want to build a customized desktop gaming desktop but I need to know what the high techs of Hardware I need to build one.

What kind of motherboard, memory(size?) CPU(how fast it is and how many?) what kind of graphic card and what kind of desktop case that can work with the motherboard.

I want a Nice Desktop but I don't want a heavy expensive one. Somewhere between 500-800$ If not, than around 1-1.5k I won't go any higher than 1 thousand If possible!
adri
You have to realize that Gaming and cheap doesn't really work together. You either decide to build a decent config for some gaming or you decide to spend more money to game like a pro. Smile

I would say an Intel i5 2500k or Intel i7 2600k would be suitable for gaming purposes. Around 8 or 16Gb of memory, an 1Tb HDD combined with an 128Gb or 256Gb SSD and a super duper graphics card (or maybe two or three) would be good for gaming. Smile

adri
Ryox
I was thinking of building one like this.
But I don't know If it'll be a fortune.

Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD7
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K
Memory 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics GeForce GTX 570x2
Sound Asus Xonar Essence STX
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 240GB + Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB
Optical Lite-On iHAS124-04 + LG WH12LS30
Power Corsair HX Series 850W
Case Cooler Master HAF X
william
This is just off the top of my head, but that motherboard is about $300, the CPU is $315, and the GPUs are just under $300 each, so you're already at $1200. The Vertex 3 at 240 GB is also just under $500.

Effectively, that's a very powerful system, however that will cost quite a pretty penny. Also, I have to say, a $1500 build from this time last year could play any game maxed out or on high settings. For $1000 today, you can accomplish the same, however i7-2600k builds may run you higher.
Ryox
Oh Alright, Yea I know the price so yea, I am aware of how much I am going to pay for it.
william
Does $1000 seem like a good price to you? For that much you're looking at an i5-2500k, which paired with a good cooler can overclock very well. And then you have the option of dual Radeon HD 6850s in Crossfire, or numerous other cards in the $300 range. You will be able to play any game with such a system.
jeremyhowell
Have you considered simply buying an equivalent or better AMD CPU instead of the Intel? I dont want to start a CPU war here, but you get a lot more for your buck with AMD, but if you have the money, then Intel is definitely the way to go. But I have been using AMD computers for 7 years now, even the first desktop I owned with an AMD 2200+ XP Athlon back in the day is still chugging along, and I haven't had any problems with any other of my AMD CPUs, so if your looking for the more inexpensive option, AMD is a viable option.
weableandbob
While i7's are very nice, if you're looking to lower the price, either go with an AMD CPU like jeremy suggested or an i5 and instead focus on the GPU. That's the single most important part of a gaming PC, and will be the most noticeable in terms of performance.
Asap170
weableandbob wrote:
While i7's are very nice, if you're looking to lower the price, either go with an AMD CPU like jeremy suggested or an i5 and instead focus on the GPU. That's the single most important part of a gaming PC, and will be the most noticeable in terms of performance.

AMD are crap processors. Intel is waht you want.
jeremyhowell
Asap170 wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

Thats one hell of a generalization man, for what you pay, AMD are extremely good value for money. As I said I have run several AMD machines in the last 7-8 years, and not one has quit on me yet and I have had no problems at all with CPU.
Asap170
jeremyhowell wrote:
Asap170 wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

Thats one hell of a generalization man, for what you pay, AMD are extremely good value for money. As I said I have run several AMD machines in the last 7-8 years, and not one has quit on me yet and I have had no problems at all with CPU.

Personally I think the i5's are pretty cheap but it depends on your financial situation.