FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Php update?

milleja46
Ok i was trying to test some changes i made to a cms for mobile support and ran into a snag because of not having the latest php on the server i'm on. I refreshed the page after uploading the files for it and got the following error "Zikula requires PHP version 5.3.2 or greater. Your server is using version 5.2.17." Is there anyway this can be updated so i can test these changes?
Asap170
milleja46 wrote:
Ok i was trying to test some changes i made to a cms for mobile support and ran into a snag because of not having the latest php on the server i'm on. I refreshed the page after uploading the files for it and got the following error "Zikula requires PHP version 5.3.2 or greater. Your server is using version 5.2.17." Is there anyway this can be updated so i can test these changes?

Haven't heard from you for awhile. But Bondings most likely won't update PHP for whatever server you are on. The reason being is that there is security holes and flaws. If I remember correctly there was an actual poll by Bondings asking if he upgrades or not. I can't remember exactly if it was for that version and all but that's why. You can always use Joomla!
milleja46
I'd rather not this cms works great but if that php version isn't installed it looks like i won't be able to upgrade until once of that version or higher is installed....and just when i was starting to help out with it too...
Asap170
You could always host your own server....And forward ports not the greatest security... But I highly doubt your going to be targeted by Hackers. Maybe some script kiddies.
milleja46
Nope, don't have a way to, i'd rather wait for software to finally get up to 5.3 or have to do the cheap sleezy to get it to work by deleteing a couple of folders and applying this patch when it does actually go live.
Edit: Ok so i don't get it, if 5.3 breaks alot of software then why on the requirements of most of the software i know that people use they saw they support 5.3?
Drupal, phpbb, joomla, zikula, wordpress(others i couldn't think of so this list is short) all support 5.3 from what i read on their requirements so why can't it be upgraded?
Bondings
Last time I tried updating to 5.3 there were a lot of problems with a lot of websites, as mentioned.

What we could maybe try to do is to have one server keeping the older 5.2 php version (which is still updated) and another with the newest version (5.3 and later on even 6). Won't be for immediately, though.
Asap170
Even if you get the new server up it still will be a pain to do because people on that server may need to switch and other people would need tog et moved and it's just a lot of work with a limited amount of staff.
Navigator
This is something I am interested in too.
milleja46
Well it might be alot of work, but things like this would take time and i wouldn't mind waiting time for it to get implemented, i'm not one to rush things like that. It's just the version of the cms that's the latest version out there requires 5.3 and any amount of waiting to get 5.3 going, i'd be willing to do Wink
sonam
Bondings wrote:
Last time I tried updating to 5.3 there were a lot of problems with a lot of websites, as mentioned.

What we could maybe try to do is to have one server keeping the older 5.2 php version (which is still updated) and another with the newest version (5.3 and later on even 6). Won't be for immediately, though.

I see (work on one project) it is possible to install both (or more) PHP on one server and call each with php extension. For example: .php -> 5.2, .php5 -> 5.3, .php6 -> 6.0.

Sonam
milleja46
@sonam i think i've seen that in place before, i would love if it would work too Wink
Asap170
It might get a little jumble of information.... Here is a link referring to the suggested idea. http://gggeek.altervista.org/2007/07/21/running-multiple-php-versions-on-a-single-apache-install/
sonam
Asap170 wrote:
It might get a little jumble of information.... Here is a link referring to the suggested idea. http://gggeek.altervista.org/2007/07/21/running-multiple-php-versions-on-a-single-apache-install/

Maybe is little jumble but this can help for migration and switch from older version PHP on new one without stress. Cool

Sonam
xxhotnosxx
Even if you get the new server up it still will be a pain to do because people on that server may need to switch and other people would need tog et moved and it's just a lot of work with a limited amount of staff.
Asap170
xxhotnosxx wrote:

If you looked half way up I said that already...
milleja46
Well if there's a way to go with a configurable version where it can be selected to use the older or newer version i'd perfer to do that even if it takes a couple of months or so...
sonam
xxhotnosxx wrote:

I don't think so. If the existing PHP (5.2) was opened with .php extension then we need just to install another version and open this new version (5.3) with extension .php5. Of course this is not quite simple because server must run via fastcgi (read on two-three places) but for me this is better solution then push all members to switch on new version or, even more, stop some members to use new versions.

PHP is changing daily and it is not good to stay far away in the past just because "I don't need something new". The others need some new stuff and I think it is OK to allow them to get new PHP if this is possible and without disturbing users of old PHP.

Here is nice example:
http://blog.servergrove.com/2011/08/22/how-to-setup-multiple-php-versions-on-apache/

Sonam
medesignz
Recently some changes to mySQL as well have caused me to learn new tricks... and thats not easy for this old dog
milleja46
sonam wrote:
xxhotnosxx wrote:

I don't think so. If the existing PHP (5.2) was opened with .php extension then we need just to install another version and open this new version (5.3) with extension .php5. Of course this is not quite simple because server must run via fastcgi (read on two-three places) but for me this is better solution then push all members to switch on new version or, even more, stop some members to use new versions.

PHP is changing daily and it is not good to stay far away in the past just because "I don't need something new". The others need some new stuff and I think it is OK to allow them to get new PHP if this is possible and without disturbing users of old PHP.

Here is nice example:
http://blog.servergrove.com/2011/08/22/how-to-setup-multiple-php-versions-on-apache/

Sonam

What i don't get is why not the .php5 i understand that one may take time but leaving the users that need the 5.x before 5.3 with just .php would make sense because they could continue to run what they needed too without trouble
sonam
Quote:
because they could continue to run what they needed too without trouble

Not at all. If we just upgrade in 5.3 old PHP users can get some errors reporting because some functions from 5.2 are deprecated.

Quote:
Recently some changes to mySQL as well have caused me to learn new tricks... and thats not easy for this old dog

Right, in 5.3 is lot of new functions what is very useful. I am also waiting 5.3 on Frihost because I cannot make mirror of my new site what is using some functions from PHP 5.3.

Sonam
milleja46
This may be a stupid question but would it not be possible to install php 5.3 and create have a file that is batch created to tell the server which version to use?
like phpversion = 5.2 would tell it to use that version and phpversion = 5.3 would tell it to use that version based on that so that the user could easily if it was selected towards the lower it would interpet the files as that, and if it was set to the higher 5.3 to use that, it would know which version to use and if possible?

(correct me if i'm wrong because i'm no server/php expert)
sonam
milleja46 wrote:
This may be a stupid question but would it not be possible to install php 5.3 and create have a file that is batch created to tell the server which version to use?
like phpversion = 5.2 would tell it to use that version and phpversion = 5.3 would tell it to use that version based on that so that the user could easily if it was selected towards the lower it would interpet the files as that, and if it was set to the higher 5.3 to use that, it would know which version to use and if possible?

(correct me if i'm wrong because i'm no server/php expert)

This is exactly what I wrote before and I think only way to have two or more version on one server. First configure server to accept two (or more) php extensions and then users easily can with different extension call different version of PHP. For example:

myfile.php - call php 5.2
myfile.php5 - call php 5.3
myfile.php6 - call php 6.0

Of course I haven't enough knowledge how is going step by step server configuration but I have pages on one server where is installed two php. Just follow "Be you travel" link in my sig to see working example (there all pages have php5 extension).

Sonam
milleja46
Well now that i've looked it up a bit couldn't there also be a .htaccess file that a certain line in it tells it to use 5.2 or 5.3?
sonam
milleja46 wrote:
Well now that i've looked it up a bit couldn't there also be a .htaccess file that a certain line in it tells it to use 5.2 or 5.3?

Maybe this way will work but I didn't find anything on Internet about this possibilities.

Sonam
milleja46
Well i did find this one: http://php-freelancer.in/2011/04/30/how-to-change-different-php-version-by-htaccess/ which does semi indicate what i was talking about so maybe it is possible Wink
sonam
milleja46 wrote:
Well i did find this one: http://php-freelancer.in/2011/04/30/how-to-change-different-php-version-by-htaccess/ which does semi indicate what i was talking about so maybe it is possible Wink

It is looking interesting but how to deal with different php.ini files. Hmmm, maybe is possible to do this without fastcgi. Hope Bondings will read all suggestions and see if is something useful for him and us. Wink

Sonam
medesignz
Are there any new updates scheduled soon?