FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Top 10 Rock Bands





ronjacob
1. Aerosmith
2. Scorpians
3. Pink Floyd
4. Guns N Roses
5. White Snake
6. Black Sabbath
7. Deep Purple
8. Poison
9. Bon Jovi
10. Roxette
Caxius
muse
the hives
the strokes
saves the day
the killers
bon jovi
duran duran (maybe?)
Pink Floyd
NOFX
coldplay

a lot of this bands arent rock.. but.. their style is similar Wink
anxiety1
hmm this is hard one, in no particaluar order my top 10 bands at the moment (not of all time) are:

Arctic Monkeys
The Libertines
Babyshambles
Pink Floyd
The Subways
AlexisonFire
Oasis
Capdown
The Dead 60s
Franz Ferniand

its too hard to do my favourite all time 10, it was hard enough figuring my top 10 at the moment.
Revo-X
1. Linkin Park
2. Bon Jovi
3. My Chemical Romance
4. Green Day
5. Evanescence

O.o Seems interesting. You guys have named some bands I've never heard of. ^_^
8765
SYSTEM OF A DOWN
Linkin Park
Bon Jovi
My Chemical Romance
Green Day
Evanescence
METALLICA
Wd_removed
Green Day...
Blink-182...
Linkin Park...
Metallica...
System of a down...
Evanescence...
Franz Ferdinand...
The Distillers...
A Perfect Circle...
Kiss...

And if I had the space:
White Stripes, Libertines, Guns and roses, The hives and Jet.........

Can't remember all the stuff I like to be honest.. I'm easy I like most rock.
Dillian
Disturbed
Linkin park
Korn
manga
Evanescanse
Rammstein
Limp bizkit
moby
red hot chilly paper
++++
The Profile
1. Led Zeppelin
2. AC/DC
3. The Beatles
4. The Rolling Stones
5. Queen
6. The Clash
7. Iron Maiden
8. Red Hot Chilli Peppers
9. The Who
and finally 10. Guns N Roses
Rafe
Audioslave
Franz Ferdinand
Linkin Park
Transplants
Fall Out Boy
Jimmy Eat World
Three Doors Down
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Weezer
I know, i know, too much Alt Rock
icugaming
Radiohead
Wilco
Broken Social Scene
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Arcade Fire
Modest Mouse
Neutral Milk Hotel
moonlizard
radiohead
suede
smashing pumpkins(it's a past tense)
good charlotte
blur
b.r.m.c
muse
the offspring
green day
linkin park
caaltt
Quote:
1. Led Zeppelin
2. AC/DC
3. The Beatles
4. The Rolling Stones
5. Queen
6. The Clash
7. Iron Maiden
8. Red Hot Chilli Peppers
9. The Who
and finally 10. Guns N Roses


I mostly agree with you except you HAVE to fit in Black Sabbath and Metallica in there....I would take out The Clash and Stones.

Black Sabbath should be #1!!!!
gnomme
don´t like bon jovi
Helios
1. Iron Maiden Very Happy
2. Scorpions }
3. Led Zeppelin } all 4 are legends
4. Pink Floyd }
5. DDT }
6. Dream Theater
7. Kamelot
8. Sonata Arctica
9. the old Metallica
10. Megadeth
erik
Don't know in wich order but

1. Smogus
2. Dreadlock Pussy
3. Muse
4. Ambiossis
5. The Blackout
6. Linea 77
7. Godsmack
8. Saybia
9. Concubine
10. Rapid Notion*

*is currently thinking of a new name for the band
pencapchew
in no particular order

Nirvana
The Smashing Pumpkins
Children Of Bodom
80s Metallica
Alkaline Trio
Black Sabbath
80s Dream Theater
Led Zeppelin
Rush
ehh my band which is currently nonexistent but will someday own the entirety of music
frozenhead
Here's my list: (random order)

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Disturbed
3. System of a Down
4. Red Hot Chilli Peppers
5. Metallica
6. Evanesence
7. Dream Theater
8. Nirvana
9. Green Day
10. Cold Play

BTW, how bout a thread for "TOP 10 of rock bands you hated most?" Idea

_______________________
:: Proud to be
Granard
I'm sad, just one man said dream theater, even you don't like you're obliged to say this is a very goodband (the best?)


for me


1-Stratovarius
2-Nightwish
3-system of a down (lyrics are very good )
4-Dream theater
5-symphony X
6-Franz ferdinand
7-The darkness Very Happy
8-Lynyrd skynyrd
9-Iron maiden
10-Aerosmith for old guys Very Happy
arthuryanthar
This is in no order:

System of a Down
Slipknot
Unearth
Amon Amarth
Rammstein
Static-X
Lamb of God
Metallica
Slayer
MFKR
Paul Knight
I'm assuming by what has gone before that we're including any kind Rock or Metal. My god thats a lot of bands to choose from in a lot of catagories!!!

ok here goes.............

1. Metallica (from start until just before their last album which sucked)
2. Iron Maiden
3. Green Day
4. Queen
5. Sum41
6. AC/DC
7. Nirvana
8. Faith No More
9. Magnum
10. The Cult

Thats today. Might change tommorow, thats the beauty of music!!! Smile
idolztheunknown
ronjacob wrote:
1. Aerosmith
2. Scorpians
3. Pink Floyd
4. Guns N Roses
5. White Snake
6. Black Sabbath
7. Deep Purple
8. Poison
9. Bon Jovi
10. Roxette


Going old school, eh Question Wink
JCdude5
Disturbed
Metallica
Korn
Papa Roach
3 Days Grace
Alter Bridge
Kiss
ACDC
Van Halen
Godsmack
roveneco
1-) Metallica
2-) BlackSabath
3-) DeepPurple
4-) IronMaiden
5-) Guns'nRozes
6-) TheDoors
7-) PinkFloyd
Cool Scorpions
9-) KoRn
10-) Me Twisted Evil
erotic_city
right now its:

1. the smashing pumpkins
2. nine inch nails
3. prince
4. kossoy sisters
5. tchaikovsky
6. prokofiev
7. yann tiersen
8. air (2000 onwards)
9. elvis presley ('54-'55)
10. drums for maia
niceboy
I don't konw some of them
SamGung
1. Slipknot
2. Metallica
3. System of a Down
4. Thats all i can think of, hehe
BioHaZaRD
1. AC/DC
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Who
5. The Doors
6. CCR
7. Deep Purple
8. Aerosmith
9. Eagles
10. Lynyrd Skynyrd
teezme2plz
AC/DC
LED ZEP
AEROSMITH
RUSH
STONES
TEA PARTY
LINKIN PARK
COLD PLAY
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
STAIND
soulman
it seems this topic appeared too many times...
Delta
My top 10 favorite Rock bands are:
1. GUNS N' ROSES!!!
2. Motley Crue
3. Metallica
4. The RollingStones
5. The Beatles (I don't know if they're Pop or not.)
6. MegaDeth
7. Anthrax
8. Rush
9. Led Zeplin
10. Slayer
hcjgh
in top ten there must be green day and sum 41 but that is more ska so i dont know
Paul Knight
Delta wrote:
My top 10 favorite Rock bands are:
5. The Beatles (I don't know if they're Pop or not.)


What ever you feel is rock! If it rocks you then thats what it is!!

Personally I would say Beatles are 60's Popmore than rock, but they were pioneers for bands that we have all mentioned here. Their influence cannot be questioned.
crasso
Hardly to stay more than a few minutes without changing, but let's try to pick them (no particular order):

King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
The Velvet Underground
Wishbone Ash
Uriah Heep
The Doors
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy
The Taste
Deep Purple
varoskater
green day!!?? system of a down!!?? Oh my god, I don't believe that some people think these are some of the biggest rock and roll bands!!!! You just have to listeng to Guns And Roses, Danzig, Iron Maiden, ACDC, Neil Young, CCR, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, KISS, Black Sabbath, The Smiths, or any other great music bands to realise that system of a down is NOTHING compared to them... However... some people are just not able to appreciate good music...

Peace Out.
addelapuente
    1)Slayer
    2)Metallica
    3)Crematory
    4)Tristania
    5)Edguy
    6)Helloween
    7)Horcas
    8)AC/DC
    9)Stratovarius
    10)Burzum
IceCameron
crasso wrote:

King Crimson
The Velvet Underground
The Doors

Hella yeah!
Im suprised these bands went unlisted for that long!
breaktheRULEs
1. Linkin Park
2. Nickelback
3. Aerosmith
4. The Offspring
5. Green Day
6. Roxette
7. Nine Inch Nails
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers
9. Korn
10. Staind
Frop
crasso wrote:
Hardly to stay more than a few minutes without changing, but let's try to pick them (no particular order):

King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
The Velvet Underground
Wishbone Ash
Uriah Heep
The Doors
T. Rex
Thin Lizzy
The Taste
Deep Purple


Nice list Smile.

My favs atm:

Tool(prog/heavy metal/hardrock/artrock/...)
King Crimson(prog)
Nine Inch Nails(industrial)
Soundgarden(grunge/hardrock)
In Flames(melodic death-lol)
Led Zeppelin (classic)
Rush(prog)
Opeth(prog)
Dream Theater(prog)
Alice in Chains (grunge)
meaniegeanies
1. Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rolling Stones
4. Cream
5. Golden Earring
6. Jefferson Airplane
7. Doors
8. U2
9. Mettalica
10.700 Machines
Marston
1.) The Misfits
2.) Pink Floyd
3.) The Clash
4.) The Sex Pistols
5.) Metallica
6.) Johnny Cash
7.) Samhain
8.) N.W.A
9.) Public Enemy
10.) The Replacements

Pretty varied... but whatever.
dz9c
1. Kanye West
2. 50 Cent
3. Michael Jackson
4. Snoop Dogg
5. T.I.
6. Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz
7. Will Smith
8. Ying Yang Twins
9. Mudvayne
10. Akon
Marston
Oh, I just noticed that it said "Rock" bands... Confused
sirmikey
dz9c wrote:
1. Kanye West
2. 50 Cent
3. Michael Jackson
4. Snoop Dogg
5. T.I.
6. Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz
7. Will Smith
8. Ying Yang Twins
9. Mudvayne
10. Akon

That's a nice set of, err, rock bands you have there...

Delta wrote:
My top 10 favorite Rock bands are:
1. GUNS N' ROSES!!!
2. Motley Crue
3. Metallica
4. The RollingStones
5. The Beatles (I don't know if they're Pop or not.)
6. MegaDeth
7. Anthrax
8. Rush
9. Led Zeplin
10. Slayer

I'm not going to argue with that. You're top 5 is definitely accurate, although Metallica should be top. Iron Maiden should be in your bottom five though, and I've never heard anything by Rush.
Blaster
1. Poision
2. AcDc
3. Aerosmith
4. Van Halen
5. Bon Jovi
6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Guns n Roses
8. Lynard Skynarad
9. Bruce Springstein
6. Jon Meloncam

(no praticular order just of when I thought of them)
efstore
metallica ...... rulz......
efstore
bummpppp
dz9c
lol I know I posted rap, Its called boredom lol
happycycling
1. Radiohead
2. Joy Division
3. Elliott Smith
4. The Velvet Underground
5. Modest Mouse (old school modest mouse that is)
6. Pink Floyd
7. The Strokes
8. Wilco
9. Iggy Pop
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
hsadmin
1. Korn
2. Linkin Park
3. Disturbed
4. metallica
5. damascus

just a few, and i like them equally
vlinty7
No. Artist Best Album Best Song
1 Alice in Chains Dirt Down in a Hole
2 Interpol Antics NARC
3 Radiohead OK Computer Karma Police
4 Pixies Tie: Doolittle/Bossanova Where is my Mind?
5 Nirvana Nevermind Smells like Teen Spirit
6 Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream 1979
7 REM Automatic for the People Find the River
8 Pavement Brighten the Corners Here
9 Built to Spill Perfect from now on Else
10 The Beatles Rubber Soul Eleanor Rigby

List goes up to 50 at http://www.therockczar.com/misc/top-50-artists-of-all-time
chartcentral
Here's a recap so far of Frihost's Top 10 Rock Bands:

1. Metallica (16 pts)
2. Led Zeppelin (12 pts)
3.5 Linkin Park (9 pts)
3.5 Pink Floyd (9 pts)
5.5 AC/DC (8 pts)
5.5 Green Day (8 pts)
9. Aerosmith (6 pts)
9. Guns N Roses (6 pts)
9. Iron Maiden (6 pts)
9. Red Hot Chili Peppers (6 pts)
9. System of a Down (6 pts)

This is based on the posts on this thread. If the band is included in the Frihost user's Top 10, it gets one point.
granvals
What about progressive rock? Twisted Evil
Gotta go with Tool.They have been out for a while and I stumbled into them when I was fifteen.Totally blew me away.And changed my life quite a bit!

why do not succs?
ankur209
Surprised System of a down..... Rolling Eyes
czarulit
guys, shouldn't we list rock bands not rock-derivative bands?

and to say something on topic: pink floyd is the most significant rock band I've ever known.
sandmanxyz
hcjgh wrote:
in top ten there must be green day and sum 41 but that is more ska so i dont know


What the hell is happening to this world??? Shocked
alugueldelanchaangra
Queen
AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Kiss
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Guns n Roses
System of a Down
Red Hot
Alerrandre
i agree with Caxius in the second post.
liljp617
If you don't have Sabbath or Priest in your top 10, you need pills.
Afaceinthematrix
I think my top ten favorite are:
Nightwish
Slayer
Children of Bodom
Amon Amarth
Pantera
Blackguard
Skeletonwitch
Symphony X
In Flames
Black Sabbath

liljp617 wrote:
If you don't have Sabbath or Priest in your top 10, you need pills.

I made sure to throw Sabbath in there at the very end just so that I wouldn't need pills hehe. It was a tough decision between Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or Testament... I almost put Testament because Chuck Billy has such a powerful voice, they are incredible each time I saw them live (although so was Iron Maiden but I never did see Sabbath live (I've only seen Ozzy solo)), and because they have some heavy and fast songs!

It's so hard to only mention ten bands... There's thousands of thousands of incredible bands. So I'll do some honorable mentions:
Ensiferum, Exodus, Megadeth, Eluveitie, Hypocrisy, Swashbuckle, Lamb of God, 3 Inches of Blood, Bonded By Blood, Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved, Epica, Opeth, Bathory, Kreator, Burzum, Behemoth, Sonata Arctica, Equilibrium, Morbid Angel, Arch Enemy, Celtic Frost, Warbringer, Fintroll, Led Zepelin, and I am sure that I'm missing many more...
tingkagol
I don't listen to much Testament (or death/heavy metal for that matter), but "Hammer of the Gods" is such a magnificent track.

*edit*

I've managed to extract my weekly charts for "most listened to artists" in last.fm and here is what came out (note that not all of these artists are rock bands):


( Smile Apparently, Jamiroquai was on heavy rotation this week because of their new album (which I rated to be mediocre).)
Afaceinthematrix
tingkagol wrote:
I don't listen to much Testament (or death/heavy metal for that matter), but "Hammer of the Gods" is such a magnificent track.


No!!! You do not want to do that. You do not want to only listen one Testament track, and then choose it to be an instrumental. That isn't nearly their heaviest, or greatest, song. As I mentioned earlier, Chuck Billy has an amazing and spectacular voice. He has a very, very aggressive voice that is fast and perfect for thrash. But he also has a deep and creepy voice that would almost fit into death metal. Make sure to listen to a song that has vocals in it. "Hammer of the Gods" is off the album The Gathering (which is a very great album - probably their best - and it features the legendary drummer Dave Lombardo of Slayer). So why don't you try some other songs off that album? Check out D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate) and 3 Days In Darkness. Another great album is The Legacy.
Quote:

*edit*

I've managed to extract my weekly charts for "most listened to artists" in last.fm and here is what came out (note that not all of these artists are rock bands):


( :) Apparently, Jamiroquai was on heavy rotation this week because of their new album (which I rated to be mediocre).)


This, of course, has nothing to do with greatness. It just has to do with popular culture and what is popular says nothing about the uniqueness, skill, epicness, deepness, etc. of the actual music. Most of that list is utter crap but to each their own... Some people listen to music because they want something catchy - not because they want something musically deep and complex...
tingkagol
A few of those artists on that list are mainstream, but barely pop music. I would say Funk/Disco, Alt-rock, Electronica, Indie, House--- but not pop music, as far as genres go. But I'd rather we don't trouble ourselves with genres.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
This, of course, has nothing to do with greatness. It just has to do with popular culture and what is popular says nothing about the uniqueness, skill, epicness, deepness, etc.

Of course. Argumentum ad populum? Smile

But I wouldn't write off all popular music as bad. If you give it a chance (and if you can stomach music without distortion & growling), it can give you a wide array of emotions depending, of course, on the artist's musicianship, artistry, lyrical skill, and delivery. And yes, every now and then I do give myself a break and listen to music just for the fun of it beyond anything else- no inhibitions or restrictions on myself whatsoever.

Music, to me, is basically just about finding or encouraging moods. I listen to metal when I need aggression, say, to Meshuggah, when I need to bob my head to heavy poly-rhythmic grooves, and all the drudginess that goes with it. Likewise, I listen to really quirky music like Sufjan Stevens' if I want to daydream (mostly about travelling), the enigmatic Sigur Ros if I really want an out-of-body experience, and to mainstream acts like Outkast if I just want to have fun by the beach.

I will not pretend to know everything about death metal and the like, but most of the time I shy away from it because I find most of it to be pretty pretentious, trite, and shallow.

To each their own, as you say. Smile

Quote:
No!!! You do not want to do that. You do not want to only listen one Testament track, and then choose it to be an instrumental. That isn't nearly their heaviest, or greatest, song.

I'll keep that in mind.
Lotar
1.Eric Clapton
2.ACDC
3.Animals
4.Bob Dylan
5.Queen
6.Bruce Springsteen
7.Canned Heat
8.Cat Stevens
9.Chuck Berry
10.David Bowie

Some kind of blues is in my top 10. Blues is a root of rock music, so you can see in my list Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Animals. They are strong foundation of rock.
Afaceinthematrix
tingkagol wrote:

Of course. Argumentum ad populum? :)

Yup!
Quote:

But I wouldn't write off all popular music as bad. If you give it a chance (and if you can stomach music without distortion & growling), it can give you a wide array of emotions depending, of course, on the artist's musicianship, artistry, lyrical skill, and delivery. And yes, every now and then I do give myself a break and listen to music just for the fun of it beyond anything else- no inhibitions or restrictions on myself whatsoever.


But, you see, for the most part, popular music lacks musicianship, artistry, and other things that you mentioned. The reason why is that most people just want something catchy that will stick in their head because they don't care, or appreciate, aggressive musicianship, complex compositions, and musical integrity. And that's okay; not everyone has to love music like that. But it's hard to argue that most pop music takes an incredible amount of skill or virtually any musical theory knowledge or musical skill. That's why I mainly stick to jazz, classical, and metal. Jazz is out there and, of course, metal and classical music are almost the same thing. One just has distortion and aggression.

Quote:
.
I will not pretend to know everything about death metal and the like, but most of the time I shy away from it because I find most of it to be pretty pretentious, trite, and shallow.


Are you sure about that? Why don't you list five death metal songs from five prominent death metal bands and then explain to me why it's pretentious, trite, and shallow. If you honestly think that death metal fits those characteristics, then list some evidence and back it up. Make sure you fully explain your viewpoint. Oh, and P.S., Testament is thrash metal...


Quote:

I'll keep that in mind.


Cool. That's all I ask...
tingkagol
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Are you sure about that? Why don't you list five death metal songs from prominent death metal bands and then explain to me why it's pretentious, trite, and shallow. If you honestly think that death metal fits those characteristics, then list some evidence and back it up. Make sure you fully explain your viewpoint. Oh, and P.S., Testament is thrash metal...
tingkagol wrote:
I will not pretend to know everything about death metal and the like, but most of the time I shy away from it because I find most of it to be pretty pretentious, trite, and shallow.
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Most of that list is utter crap but to each their own...

I was mirroring your statement that my list is "utter crap", assuming mutual respect for something as subjective as music is afforded. But it was a poor judgement call, I admit. For someone who knows so little about the genre, I would have fared better if I wasn't too specific or stereotyping, and just didn't say anything.

Oh well, I'll explain myself anyway.

I wouldn't describe all of death metal that way. And I wasn't only referring to death metal alone, hence "death metal and the like". I'm pretty horrible with the sub-genres, so I guess it's best to leave the labeling to a more knowledgable person such as yourself. It's really more an injustice that I have against the genre. I listen through a song, scoff, and move on- is what usually happens, not remembering which band or song it was. It's unfair of me, I know, but I guess it all boils down to taste. But yes, there are bands that really catch my ear, like Meshuggah. (I can't stress enough how frustratingly talented this band is.)

The thing that I find pretentious, and subsequently turns me off, about extreme metal (let's just call it that) is that it's really not just about the music. First and foremost, it's a scene. Find me a band that doesn't have an overly dramatic gothic logo, long hair, or doesn't use shock value in their album art, music videos, and concerts (gore, skulls, inverted stars, etc) and maybe I'll take them more seriously. And chances are, people will go out of their way to argue if that band is metal enough based on those attributes alone. This isn't a real gripe, I know, and is quite forgivable if you really like a band. I just find the culture that revolves around it pretentious.

I have no complaints about the musicianship as most are pretty proficient with their instruments. It could use some originality here and there, but these people are, unquestionably, technically talented- some more than others.

Lyrically--- it feels like I'm being forced into a corner. The subject matter barely goes beyond isolation, madness, darkness, desperation, suffering... all things "dark" and the like. It makes me think about something an adolescent would write while going through an identity crisis. There is an abundance of aggression to be found, but in itself seems 'limiting' to me. There is after all more to music than aggression. There is some good poetry, yes, but I find the subject matter just recycled from one band to the other most of the time.

Again, in the end- to each their own.



*edit*

Given my seemingly apparent close-mindedness, I would just like to point out that I am very much open to discovering new music, be it metal or pop, and I am always looking for recommendations. Smile
_AVG_
Here are, in my opinion, the top 10 rock bands (I don't know if some of them can be considered metal)
along with my favorite songs by them:

1. Dream Theater (Forsaken, The Glass Prison, A Change of Seasons)
2. Black Sabbath (NIB, Symptom of the Universe, Iron Man)
3. Scorpions (Rock You Like a Hurricane, We Were Born to Fly)
4. Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb, Time)
5. Iron Maiden (Brave New World, Dance of Death)
6. Muse (Map of the Problematique, Undisclosed Desires)
7. Pantera (Floods)
8. Deep Purple (Black Knight)
9. Led Zeppelin (All My Love)
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Around the World)
Afaceinthematrix
tingkagol wrote:

The thing that I find pretentious, and subsequently turns me off, about extreme metal (let's just call it that) is that it's really not just about the music. First and foremost, it's a scene. Find me a band that doesn't have an overly dramatic gothic logo, long hair, or doesn't use shock value in their album art, music videos, and concerts (gore, skulls, inverted stars, etc) and maybe I'll take them more seriously. And chances are, people will go out of their way to argue if that band is metal enough based on those attributes alone. This isn't a real gripe, I know, and is quite forgivable if you really like a band. I just find the culture that revolves around it pretentious.


Are you sure about that? Not only is it wrong (there is no "look" in metal), it's just logically full of fallacies. Look at it this way, metal is a counter-culture sounding music. So therefore, it's going to attract people who have counterculture views and looks. So people don't dress a certain way because they like the music (which would make it about the music), they dress that way because it's what they like or who they are and it so happens that they'll probably be attracted to metal.

Plus, you're doing exactly what you accused it of doing. Instead of looking at the metal for its music, you're making a complete judgment of the music based off of just a few people (who dress that way because they like it). Like I said, there is no required look for it. I've seen hundreds (literally) of metal bands and most of them have worn normal clothes. Many have had long hair (most actually, again because it will attract those kind of counterculture people) but many have also not had long hair and they weren't judged at all for their look. They were completely judged for their music.

Quote:
Lyrically--- it feels like I'm being forced into a corner. The subject matter barely goes beyond isolation, madness, darkness, desperation, suffering... all things "dark" and the like. It makes me think about something an adolescent would write while going through an identity crisis. There is an abundance of aggression to be found, but in itself seems 'limiting' to me. There is after all more to music than aggression. There is some good poetry, yes, but I find the subject matter just recycled from one band to the other most of the time.


Of course many bands talk about dark objects, but you aren't listening nearly close enough to lyrics. Many of them have deep lyrics but those deep lyrics are usually related to dark things (as you said). But it's usually (again, some bands have crappy lyrics) not so blatant "worship Satan! 666!" Most of the time it is relatively deep. And metal almost has to be about something dark just because of what it is - heavy riffs. You can't write heavy riffs that sound very heavy and dark and then write about butterflies and oreos... It just wouldn't work hehe.

But it's not for everyone. You either can handle the aggression, speed, and power with the dark, much of the time deep (often questioning social norms) lyrics or you can't... And if you can't, then you probably never will... But I wouldn't want everyone to like metal, then it becomes mainstream and bands start selling out rather than staying true and pure to the music (which is what prevents most bands from ever "making it big")
tingkagol
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Are you sure about that? Not only is it wrong (there is no "look" in metal), it's just logically full of fallacies. Look at it this way, metal is a counter-culture sounding music. So therefore, it's going to attract people who have counterculture views and looks. So people don't dress a certain way because they like the music (which would make it about the music), they dress that way because it's what they like or who they are and it so happens that they'll probably be attracted to metal.
...
Many have had long hair (most actually, again because it will attract those kind of counterculture people)

I find it hard to believe that's the case for most "metal-heads". They dress that way specifically because they want other people to identify them as metal fans. Sure, there are people who dress normally and are avid metal fanatics, but I've yet to meet someone who's dressed in black with long hair, tattoos, piercings, and not like any metal bands. If I do, I think it would just be weird. It's apparently an acquired trend from the metal scene. Long hair actually serves a purpose in metal:



...to headbang with! Surely you know how it feels to headbang without hair? I know I do. Smile It's not as satisfying. hehe (I've had my share of headbanging as a teenager)

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
And metal almost has to be about something dark just because of what it is - heavy riffs. You can't write heavy riffs that sound very heavy and dark and then write about butterflies and oreos... It just wouldn't work hehe.

Exactly. Well, I think a band like System of a Down can pull that off Smile (you'll probably argue that they're nu-metal), but anyway, that's exactly why people listen to other genres - including pop music - to listen to songs about butterflies, oreos, and other stuff metal can't sing about (won't allow itself, that is).

I wouldn't really worry about songs that are super-underground or scaling the top of the Billboard charts. Yes, songs that I like that happen to get really popular worried me in the past, but now if I happen to like a song, I just try to like it for what it is - whether or not a million other people like it too doesn't matter.
Dracokagebuyo
So, my top ten would include the following:

1. Aerosmith
2. U2
3. Queen
4. The Police
5. Metallica
6. Led Zeppelin
7. Iron Maiden
8. Guns 'N Roses
9. Pink Floyd
10. Rise Against
Saimaster1
1. Alice In Chains
2. Them Crooked Vultures
3. Pantera
4. Nirvana
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Slow Roosevelt
7. The Wipers
8. Green Day
9. Jimi Hendrix
10. Shinedown
manyakbey
All Songs very nice you say.

Modifications tingkokulun artist yakýyo share:)
ricardo22
nirvana
ac/dc
the beatles
red hot chilli peppers
the rolling stones
slipknot
deep purple
metallica
black sabath
three days grace
kiss
korn
bleach

so manyyyyy
tomisme
1. The Beatles.
2. Queen
3. The Police
4. Radiohead
5. Oasis
6. Nirvana
7. Keane
8. Muse
9. Smashing Pumpkins
10. The Doors
simpleplan
1. Simple Plan
asnani04
To get the best, I don't feel we need 10 rock bands. Providing the very best would be enough. For me, Linkin Park are the best in the sense that they just don't rock with their music - they rock with their lyrics, motivation and social initiatives too.

I would place Sum 41 at second place, due to their innovative style, and Iron Maiden at third. Hope my views provide some insight into the topic.
william
In no particular order:

- Led Zeppelin
- AC/DC
- The Who
- Black Sabbath
- Queen
- Aerosmith
- Guns 'n' Roses
- Pink Floyd
- Jimi Hendrix
- Van Halen

Probably quite a few I missed that also deserve to be on a top list.
saberlivre
- Supertramp
- Led Zeppelin
- Evanescence
- Black Sabbath
- Queen
- ABBA
- Guns 'n' Roses
- Pink Floyd
- Scorpions
- Nazareth
catscratches
Rock, with all its hundred sub-genres is really a far too wide spectrum to define favourites in. There's really no way to compare a post-rock band to a noise rock one.

In case traditional rock (or "classical rock") is meant then I can't really say I like a single band. I find it too unatmospheric.
Dialogist
The Beatles
The Stone Roses
The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
Oasis
Love
The Byrds
The Band
The Beach Boys
The Smiths

These are the 10 best bands of all time and they all did some Rock music. A best Rock only list would be different, but also contain a lot of sweaty people I don't people like or even rate but who I know still belong on there, anyway. And I don't really want to make that list because it has people like The Sex Pistols on it.
Related topics
Your top 10 favourite songs!!!! Post here
Top 10 WORST rock bands
Rock Bands!!!
[Música] Top 10 de Bandas
Whats your views on alcohol?
Whats Your Top 10 Desktop Applications
British rock bands
your top 10
Top 10 ++Jean-luc Godard
top 10 frishost sites
Escribe tu Top 10 de Canciones
As 10 maiores personalidades do pais
Post your top 10 movies of all time
Top Ten Wanna Be Rock Bands
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Music

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.