FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to get to sleep. What's your get to sleep invention?

chasbeen
When you get to bed sometimes, do you have trouble getting to sleep?
I think it's possible to get off to sleep if your not tired.
The way I do it is lie down thinking about the day. However for some reason I have to leave the light on.
I'm usually asleep within 5 minutes.
I wish someone had invented a gradually dimming light, I think that would help an I would not be woken in the middle of the night because the lights on.
Have you got an invention for helping sleep?
The_unnamed_label
Hey...

If you need light to sleep.. and get waken up by it after a while, why not using a timer?? one of those you plug on your devices??

or what about putting your TV on on mute and time on 25 mins for e.g.??

TIMERs are the solution I think of right now!!
chasbeen
No I figured that one out but I really want a gradual light fade.
If you think about it our ancestors in caves were used to falling asleep in fading light.
I think this is more than likely connected.
standready
chasbeen wrote:
I wish someone had invented a gradually dimming light, I think that would help an I would not be woken in the middle of the night because the lights on.

Already available.
mahirh
i simply lie down for ten minutes and if im not asleep by then, i usually go to another well lit room and after 3 rounds , i will be asleep
The_unnamed_label
chasbeen wrote:
No I figured that one out but I really want a gradual light fade.
If you think about it our ancestors in caves were used to falling asleep in fading light.
I think this is more than likely connected.

Yeah... I think you can find this kind of lamps with fading or changing lights... in the kind of "healthy and happy home" kinda shops... which I cant name any cause I'm french and I have no clue about shops abroad. Good luck though, insomnia and parasomnia are very annoying....
loremar
I've done several means. I just can't sleep on my will. It's like you just can't fix insomnia if you can't fix your life. I just gave up that's why I don't have a job and currently finding my way through the internet. I just sleep whenever I want. IN the night, in the morning, in the afternoon. Just anytime when I feel drowsy.
davidv
On average it takes me 3hours to sleep every night. The only times I fall asleep relatively easily (10mins) is when I have the flu and I feel really weak. Even then, sometimes it takes hours to fall asleep. Sleeping with a blocked nose sucks. Once I couldn't sleep for 2days, not because I wasn't tired HECK I WAS BLOODY TIRED! but because whenever I went to bed, I'd for some reason feel awake again after closing my eyes for 15mins so I end up not being able to sleep.

I've tried the whole drinking warm milk before sleeping. That doesn't work. Think about sheep jumping over fences, how silly. Not think at all, excruciatingly hard. Drugs. I've tried taking sleeping pills but that caused noticeable short term memory loss. Also, even with sleeping pills, it takes 30mins for it to kick and then another 30mins to fall asleep so I stopped that.

Typically to reduce the time spend in bed rolling around unable to sleep, I go to bed around 2AM after studying, reading or most of the time watching TV. That usually gets me tired enough to fall asleep between 1 - 2hrs. Problem is, I have to wake up 5 hours later...

I honestly don't know why it takes me so long to fall asleep. Maybe it's a genetic thing. I know it takes my mum a while to sleep as well, however my sister doesn't have this problem. I've also noticed that when I'm sleeping with someone in the same room, I find it easier to fall asleep.
chasbeen
Somebody said(standready) you could buy a lamp that gradually dims. I could not find one of these in Canada. However I'm moving back to the best country in the world. I expect I will get one there.

Another said (davidv) . That is another situation I think we all experienced.
This is a huge topic in general. I think the person who said they can be b**** tired but not sleep needs to vary their routine. Drive to the seaside and play or something different. I think sleep is to do with your brain processing new information.

My "agony aunt" suggestion to the person that said they can be b**** tired but not sleep is VARY YOUR ROUTINE AND START DOING UNUSUAL THINGS (See above for why)
In your case it will be worth the inconvenience.
myqute
Get physically tried via exercise. I find that I have a better quality for sleep.

The other way for me to fall asleep is to read a good book in bed (while sitting up and supporting by pillows). After some time, the eyes get sleepy (about 20 to 30 pages).
Ryox
When I have trouble sleeping I listen to Meditation Relaxing Music from youtube. That puts me to sleep. Smile

I download the youtube video and than I have my player repeat it over & over. Smile
cresvale
take some hot milk and wash your feet with hot water during 15 minutes. then you'll be better and better if you can do every day.
jmraker
I've found that sleeping is easiest when I'm laying down on an uncluttered bed in a dark quiet room. It seems like when you reach a certain age you gain the ability to sleep or nap sitting down at random times on the couch in daylight, I can't nod off while sitting down yet.

I've just started trying using earplugs a few nights ago, it reduces the sound but then I start hearing my heart beating and then if I walk around in them I hear my feet banging the floor and other bodily sounds I normally can't hear as loud. Plus the ear plugs are a bit uncomfortable.
chasbeen
jmraker
You are trying too hard. Try changing your daytime routine and doing things different. You will find yourself thinking about the new things you did just before you fall asleep.
The noises will fade into the background
Asap170
Sometimes I will read a little and it tires my eyes out a lot. Or maybe I will watch some T.V. And the two last things I do if all else fails is daydream about stuff or send random code through my head to help me with my website lol
congra
i usually slepping with light music .
LostOverThere
If you use your computer before bed time, it might be an idea to try out f.lux. It changes the colour temperature of your display, depending on the time of day, making it easier on your eyes.

I was sceptical at first, but it seems to definitely work for me.
missdixy
I am also the kind of person that sleeps better and falls asleep faster if I exercise during the day. I've heard this is true for a lot of people so maybe it might help! But as for the actual process of falling asleep, I just lay down in a semi-dark room (no lights, but window open so the moonlight/lights from outside come in) and start to think of my day. I usually pass out in the first 10-20 minutes. I also sometimes (maybe 2-3 times a week) have to play some music, which isn't really music but it's sort of like rainforest sounds. This helps to relax me and makes falling asleep easier for me.
Aredon
it may sound a little outlandish, but when I was younger I had a lavalamp on a timer. I would simply stare at it until sleep came to me. Never really had an issue with it... It almost always worked. Smile
c'tair
I've always had trouble sleeping, unless I was sleeping with somebody, then I'd fall asleep in 5 minutes or less.

But since I don't have anybody anymore, I gotta resort to some of my old tricks such as breathing slowly and counting up to 10 (over and over again). This helps to clear my mind and allows it to fall asleep. The worst thing is that I might be dead tired physically after a days worth of work and college, but my brain will simply refuse to fall asleep. Too much thoughts on my mind, I guess.
chasbeen
c'tair

you really have to get organised on this, sleep is so valuable.

Learn how to count to 10 in several languages and take your new learning material to bed.

Learn how to count to 10 in German for example and then add that to your trying to sleep exercise. Once you have mastered that then move to French etc etc zzzzzzzzzzzz
c'tair
chasbeen wrote:
c'tair

you really have to get organised on this, sleep is so valuable.

Learn how to count to 10 in several languages and take your new learning material to bed.

Learn how to count to 10 in German for example and then add that to your trying to sleep exercise. Once you have mastered that then move to French etc etc zzzzzzzzzzzz

I can already count to ten in Polish, English, German and Spanish lol. But still thank you for the advice. Sleep IS valuable, I'm actually looking for some notes I had about how to fall asleep faster, but I guess the best remedy is to solve the issue of what's stopping you from sleeping. In my case, it's often anxiety. So I just have to relax. That's why I'm taking up meditation and exercise, it's already helping a lot.
chasbeen
I'm not always successful getting enough sleep recently I have been escaping from work and get a good half hour in the middle of the afternoon.
chatrack
Hi,

Avoid disturbance from surrounding in form of light, Sound/Noice
Drink Some water. Do little pranayama Yoga.
ratanegra
I still don't know what to do. I lie down and I wait and wait for hours until I know I won't sleep this night or until I finally fall asleep. I think about many things. I once fell asleep by describing in silence a girl that I liked. I've used music and everything but yet nothing works now. I sleep like 15 hours a week nowadays.
Josso
I have real problems with sleep in general, I can sleep for 12 or 2 hours and I might feel exactly the same fatigue. I can usually get to sleep very quickly but usually that's because I've been up for a long time... there is no way I could sleep when not tired, I have problems shutting down my brain I just think about too much stuff. Also it's rare that I don't dream about anything bizarre and complex... my brain will just burn itself out one of these days.

Anyone else wake up with their teeth hurting? My dentist said gritting your teeth is caused by stress but I have the easiest life in the world.

Quote:
That's why I'm taking up meditation and exercise, it's already helping a lot.

This.
chasbeen
I also find that Sleep more easily comes if I have clean bedding so I wash it really often.
I also find making my bed when I awaken good for the next sleep because as I make it I picture it for the rest of the day.
A kind of anticipation grows during the day and my body and mind are ready for it by the time I go to bed.
deanhills
Last night I had one of those typical nights where I'm so wired and happy, I just don't want to go to sleep, and then when I finely did at 2:00 a.m., couldn't fall asleep. That kind'a happens to me quite often.

So towards 5:00 a.m. used a technique that I then recalled had worked previous times too, and it worked this time too (should have thought of it much earlier). I work from my toes and try and channel into them to relax them, by the time that I get to my torso, my mind's already wandering into relax mode and am feeling drowsy. The chanelling has to be deep however, really get the picture of the toes up and physically relaxing them, then the feet, then the calves, etc. etc. Smile
rjraaz
deanhills wrote:
So towards 5:00 a.m. used a technique that I then recalled had worked previous times too, and it worked this time too (should have thought of it much earlier). I work from my toes and try and channel into them to relax them, by the time that I get to my torso, my mind's already wandering into relax mode and am feeling drowsy. The chanelling has to be deep however, really get the picture of the toes up and physically relaxing them, then the feet, then the calves, etc. etc. Smile

Nice Tech Dean, I would try this next time. Generally, if I am in a this type situation would start to play some movie.
jajarvin
I sleep soundly every night when I put on warm socks.
Peterssidan
If I try to sleep it is much harder to fall asleep. I find it easier to just go to bed and let it take whatever time it takes. It helps if it's quiet and dark. My thoughts can be about anything as long as I don't get too excited. If I can't sleep going to the toilet and/or drinking water often helps. The temperature is also important. If it's too cold I put the socks on and if it's really cold I put a T-shirt on. I don't like sleeping without a blanket so if it gets too hot I try to open a window and sleep with a leg or arm outside the blanket.
deanhills
Last night when I went to bed was still wide awake, but realized if I were not going to get to bed by 12:00 that it would spoil my last day in Muscat - today. So did the relaxation technique with focusing on relaxing toes, feet, etc, when I got to the legs started to wander off and was sound asleep. Woke up maybe a minute or two before my alarm clock went off. This technique really works for me!
chasbeen
Jaj oh yeah why is that? I'm wearing mine.
Another thing I found if you start to try and learn something that is getting hard to understand.
This brings tiredness
Normally I then lie on my back and rerun the subject that I am finding hard to learn/understand.
After a few minutes I find my mind wandering off in tangents.
This is the pre-cursor to sleep which follows if you persist.
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Jaj oh yeah why is that? I'm wearing mine.
Another thing I found if you start to try and learn something that is getting hard to understand.
This brings tiredness
Normally I then lie on my back and rerun the subject that I am finding hard to learn/understand.
After a few minutes I find my mind wandering off in tangents.
This is the pre-cursor to sleep which follows if you persist.
Darn! This is a good one. In the days I used to read in bed I remember if it was complicated reading, I started to fall asleep as well. Just as you said - learn/understand - my mind starts to wander.
Gregoric
My ultimate solution to help myself fall asleep and/or wake up completely after getting up from bed is - doing push-ups. It really helps, as long as you have enough place in your room. One condition is to make bed, then do some push-ups, stretch your joints and whole body, do some push-ups again and lay yourself in bed while you are tired a bit and heart is beating fast.

For me - it works all the time; no matter if it's cold/hot in the room etc.

It doesn't work for everyone the same way; some of my buddies say that they just cannot fall asleep after box exercise, as their body produces lots of energy which they can't spend anyhow. In my case, I just lie into the bed and wake up - then I do (surprise, surprise) push-ups to become completely conscious. It is better than morning coffee Smile
Peterssidan
@Gregoric
That would never work for me. I think the tiredness you get from physical exercise is not the same kind of tiredness that makes you fall asleep. Doing physical exercise would make me feel more awake than before. Physical exercise can make it easier to sleep but then it have to be some hours in between so that the body have time to slow down.
deanhills
I totally agree with Peterssidan. I think the general recommendation for people who suffer from insomnia is not to do any exercise at least two hours before going to bed. I remember when I was doing walking at night time how difficult it was to go to bed. Much better to do exercise in the morning as it completely energizes me. I think the general recommendation also is that early morning is an ideal time for exercise.
TheGremlyn
Usually being tired helps me to get to sleep. If I'm not tired when I first got to bed then reading a book will make my eyelids drop after a few pages (unless it's a very good book, then I can't get to sleep and I just keep reading!). Being in a dark room with the TV on very low, or my laptop on a Speedrun (people who play through games as quickly as possible) with the brightness turned down can help put me to sleep. When I was having trouble sleeping I would sometimes use melatonin tablets back when I was working at a call centre. Now, thanks to my anxiety, I've a temporary prescription for Lorazepam until I get myself sorted out and that makes me very drowsy.
codegeek
When I can't sleep, I just turn on BBC and start listening. I'm not saying that BBC is boring, but I guess it's the act of just listening to the radio that relaxes me and I'm sleepy within 30 minutes tops. Then I just turn off the radio and go to sleep. I have a few meditation tapes which are relaxing as well.
deanhills
Still doing well with my resolve not to do the Internet at night after dinner time. Not sure how long it is going to last until the monotony gets to me, but have had five nights of approx 6-7 hours solid sleep. Sort of miraculous for me. I wake up at 3:30 a.m. do a little Internet, then go out for early morning exercise before work.
spinout
Stare at the ceiling, think of nothing -Z eventually you get inte a dreamzzz that leads to zzz sleeeeep zzzz
Deline
I tried to count sheeps and all kinds of animals for many times, it never works!! Mad Mad

But I realized that when I think about work or university problems I feel so tired...then I start to feel asleep... Razz OR just turn on the TV. u_U
Radar
Deline wrote:
I tried to count sheeps and all kinds of animals for many times, it never works!!

Yeah, I'm not sure I really understand why that's a thing. Or how it originated.

If you count for long enough, you will go to sleep by sheer inevitability, but does it help? Maybe for some. I suppose it's about how you approach it. But then, if you were to actually approach it in the right way, I don't think you would have much trouble going to sleep to begin with.
deanhills
Radar wrote:
I don't think you would have much trouble going to sleep to begin with.
Agreed. In my case it has a lot to do with establishing a routine and habit. I'm a natural rebel against routine, so have to make a conscious effort and have found myself slipping a little this week. Just so many things I like to do after work, and not enough time before my "natural" bed time to do all of it. I started with good going for two weeks going to bed between 9:30 to 10:00 p.m. Then started moving to 11:00 p.m. and last night midnight, which is still very good relative to my previous all nighters or only getting to bed at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m.

Then there are certain things I know are bad for sleep, like spending too many hours at night in front of the monitor/LCD. Some people believe that the glare from the screen zaps our melatonin levels. Also eating heavy meals late at night, and common sense stuff. Heavy exercise immediately before going to bed is also not a great idea .... proven for myself as well.
grofet
Thinking a lot of complicated things will makes your brain tired and then it's sleep by itself without we notice it. Study very hard to memorize things on the book also will makes the brain tired and it will give you the super sleepy experience.
Yawnboy
I just listen to some songs in my earphones. They are the best to make someone go to sleep and I think it will work for you too.