FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Macbook air with Windows 7 OS

davidv
I was at the library today studying and I saw someone with a Macbook air but with Windows 7 installed. It looked hilarious. Is something like this common? I couldn't help but giggle a little as I turned away.
adri
You can install Windows 7 with Bootcamp, an application for Mac OS X that comes preinstalled. It is very useful for people who need to run a Windows only application or maybe he needed to develop some .NET programs. Confused

You can also run Windows in a virtual machine with the use of Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. Those applications to cost a fair bit. (70 bucks I think)

adri
Ankhanu
adri wrote:
You can install Windows 7 with Bootcamp, an application for Mac OS X that comes preinstalled. It is very useful for people who need to run a Windows only application or maybe he needed to develop some .NET programs. Confused

You can also run Windows in a virtual machine with the use of Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion. Those applications to cost a fair bit. (70 bucks I think)

Yep, pretty common.
I have Win7 installed in Bootcamp, and use Parallels, which uses the Bootcamp install, as well. If I need to use a Windows app, I rarely boot directly into Windows via Bootcamp, instead, I use a virtual machine under Parallels.
Parallels is really well designed, and in the past 2 versions has really streamlined its interface. It was pretty clunky when I started using it in 2007, but the current versions integrate almost seamlessly with OS X. Running both OSes simultaneously can be a little hard on system resources, but, if you have a decent system it'll handle it just fine. If it's older, you might experience some performance issues if you try to do too much at once.
davidv
So it is quite common. Although, I think what this person did was install the OS and at the same time totally wiping out the Mac OS. I would of have thought if you were going to fork out 2 grand for a mac, you're probably better off playing with the Mac OS rather than installing a windows OS on an apple machine. That said, I think he may of done it just for the aesthetics Razz which is totally valid and just. The apple devices are hella aesthetically awesome Cool
Radar
I've understood why you would want to run it as a parallel installation, I've understood why you would want it as a VM. I don't understand why you would buy a Mac, and purely use it for a Windows OS.
Ankhanu
davidv wrote:
... I think what this person did was install the OS and at the same time totally wiping out the Mac OS.

Radar wrote:
I've understood why you would want to run it as a parallel installation, I've understood why you would want it as a VM. I don't understand why you would buy a Mac, and purely use it for a Windows OS.

Both of these seem like rather unlikely events Razz
As mentioned, MacOS comes with software allowing for multiple bootable partitions with different OSes installed, Bootcamp. Using Bootcamp, you can load directly into Windows or what have you without having MacOS running at all (though Bootcamp provides some Mac specific drivers that would be a bitch to get functioning with MacOS completely wiped out). This creates the illusion of a Windows only Mac, but the reality is generally that Windows is a second OS install, and MacOS is sitting there, unloaded.
davidv
Ankhanu wrote:
davidv wrote:
... I think what this person did was install the OS and at the same time totally wiping out the Mac OS.

Radar wrote:

Both of these seem like rather unlikely events Razz
As mentioned, MacOS comes with software allowing for multiple bootable partitions with different OSes installed, Bootcamp. Using Bootcamp, you can load directly into Windows or what have you without having MacOS running at all (though Bootcamp provides some Mac specific drivers that would be a bitch to get functioning with MacOS completely wiped out). This creates the illusion of a Windows only Mac, but the reality is generally that Windows is a second OS install, and MacOS is sitting there, unloaded.

You're probably right. The odds of someone stupid enough to remove the OS entirely is quite low when there are tools that allow you to have both run at the same time or have one running and the other idle.
weableandbob
It's fairly common to at least dual boot Macs with Windows. My friend hates Mac OS, but likes the aesthetics, so he bought a Macbook and exclusively runs Windows 7.