FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I deleted my facebook account!





davidv
Email:

Quote:
Hi David,

We have received a request to permanently delete your account. Your account has been deactivated from the site and will be permanently deleted within 14 days.

If you did not request to permanently delete your account, please login to Facebook to cancel this request:

https://www.facebook.com/login.php


Thanks,
The Facebook Team


And it's about time too. The time spent on facebook doing nothing but scrolling my mouse and reading silly and trivial status updates from "friends" is quite the distraction (I'd rather do that with reddit Razz). I don't go on it anymore and my original reason for having one died a while ago so I don't see the point in still having one. Google+ is crap and I hate facebook. It only makes sense not to have either Razz

Quote:
Aug 11 (1 day ago)


13 days to go Cool
missdixy
Ahh well, power to you! I don't really use my FB much other than to keep in touch with some friends/acquaintances so I've never thought of deleting mine, but if you were spending way too much time on there then I can see why you would! Smile
shivaghimire
I normally log on my facebook once a day. I chat on facebook usually by yahoo messenger where my facebook account is linked. I am not planning to delete my facebook account. I will use google+ too in near future. I haven't got any complain on facebook till now.
cybersa
I already did that after a day of created for testing purpose.
Helios
Good for you man!
I never had one myself though Razz
People are telling me it's rubbish, so I've never opened an account there Smile
Josso
You can never 100% remove, but well done anyway. My network is configured not to accept any traffic from Facebook. The stupid little plugins don't even load for me.
standready
As Helios said
Good for you!
I never bother with a facebook account either.
the-guide
Well. That is your nice decision. Laughing
Congratulate to you.

.
.
.
davidv
Yes, I've been meaning to delete it a while ago but the force of facebook far was too strong for just a mere mortal such as myself to combat... until now. I'm happy with my decision and I'm not looking back!

Quote:
You can never 100% remove, but well done anyway.


What do you mean by that? Is my personal information still in their database? My status updates, conversations, emails blah blah blah?
Helios
davidv wrote:
Yes, I've been meaning to delete it a while ago but the force of facebook far was too strong for just a mere mortal such as myself to combat... until now. I'm happy with my decision and I'm not looking back!

Quote:
You can never 100% remove, but well done anyway.


What do you mean by that? Is my personal information still in their database? My status updates, conversations, emails blah blah blah?


As far as I heard they keep the information. They only "lock" your account until your next log-in.
I also heard that you can somehow ask them to remove the data completely, but I'm not sure about that.
davidv
Helios wrote:
As far as I heard they keep the information. They only "lock" your account until your next log-in.
I also heard that you can somehow ask them to remove the data completely, but I'm not sure about that.


According to the email they sent me it will be permanently deleted after 14 days. Which probably means it's currently locked up until the 15th day where they'll remove it forever. Whether they remove my personal information, I don't know.
_AVG_
Even I consider Facebook a waste of time. Nevertheless, it is useful to keep in touch with old school friends. In any case, I don't spend much time on Facebook but it's always useful to have an account
medesignz
The whole point of a social network (from a users point of view) is to be social.

Do you not get invites to parties and events from your friends? If not you should start some.

Its not just about Farmville
odayguide
Good. Just delete it. I like google better.
Helios
davidv wrote:
Helios wrote:
As far as I heard they keep the information. They only "lock" your account until your next log-in.
I also heard that you can somehow ask them to remove the data completely, but I'm not sure about that.


According to the email they sent me it will be permanently deleted after 14 days. Which probably means it's currently locked up until the 15th day where they'll remove it forever. Whether they remove my personal information, I don't know.


Keep us updated please Smile

medesignz wrote:
The whole point of a social network (from a users point of view) is to be social.

Do you not get invites to parties and events from your friends? If not you should start some.

Its not just about Farmville


A social network doesn't have to be on the internet. I think that websites like Facebook, Google+ etc etc often create an illusion of a real social network for people who spend most of their time sitting next to a glowing piece of plastic and a noisy box.

I'm not a dinosaur, I mean I haven't hit 30 yet, but I still use a phone to keep in touch with friends and we often invite each other to events, some of which I organize myself.
Needless to say that due to the way we communicate (face to face, or through the phone), our social circle is a bit tighter than the social circle of a guy who has gazillion "friends" on facebook, who show their appreciation towards him using the "Like" button rather than real-life words. Those people I have on my contact list are truly friends, not just online webpages with their best possible photographs on the side of my screen.

Heck, if it's not an online chat, then it's SMSing. How often do I hear the sentence "I'd rather SMS him/her than approach or call to talk". Confused
It seems that the social networks you're talking about created more people who prefer living in a cell connected by TCP/IP to a social circle, than being directly social in the real world.

That's just how I feel and I'm aware that some people think I'm completely wrong (and I can understand their point of view).
spinout
Dinosaur! hehe that must be me! And I got no facebook friend since... People in my age seldom use the internet..
myqute
I have in the past considered deleting my account but a long-lost friend found me via facebook. And also I am connected to my cousin (who also found me after she married in Mexico; I did not have the opportunity to attend her wedding back then as my mum and dad had an on-and-off rocky marriage). [My Dad is one of 13 children and there were so many cousins that I lost track of who is who, who gave birth to who, etc.]

I am still in facebook as I have friends who look forward to my health news updates.

A fraction of my friends are also chefs so we have mutual hobbies and sometimes share one another's recipes. What I also like about facebook are the groups that are set up to support causes.

Of course there are the trolls and troublemakers. I call them out (they are usually "shot down" by my friends) before defriending and blocking them.

It all comes down to finding the people whose info and shares you value, want to read or share.
rocking
That's great,
Facebook also wasting me a lot of time....
But I don't have the moral power to delete it....
airh3ad
Good for you. i never spent more time in Facebook, i rather sleep than to update my status its a kind of socialism that there is no direction. yeah i admit i once a week my Facebook but not every time. for i waste my time scrolling reading other status. i spent a lot of time reading forum here in frihost.
Bluedoll
airh3ad wrote:
Good for you. i never spent more time in Facebook, i rather sleep than to update my status its a kind of socialism that there is no direction. yeah i admit i once a week my Facebook but not every time. for i waste my time scrolling reading other status. i spent a lot of time reading forum here in frihost.
In terms of reading and writing, maybe I can understand using your time, if you have the time but from a social/networking standpoint only do you actually think that you get that here?
sledge32
am not yet on Facebook but plan on using it to market my web project when it started.
Aredon
Too bad your profile is never truly deleted, and Facebook will have access to any information you ever posted on there for the rest of time. Or you know, at least until November 5th. Rolling Eyes
ratanegra
Huhhhh... you are encouraging me to delete my Facebook account too!!! I am now thinking about doing it, but I have to consider many points, so I'm sure I won't be doing it by tomorrow. Good luck on your individuality!
loremar
I will never be able to experience the experience of deleting a facebook account. Why? Because I don't have one. Very Happy
ankur209
Great dear ! Hats off to you ! It takes a lot of determination and courage to do this ! I've been trying this for last one year but couldn't anage to gather enough power to do this Smile
davidv
It's been over 2 weeks since I've logged onto facebook. That means my account should be permanently deleted. I've tried to login twice just to confirm it and I was unable to do so.

Quote:
The email you entered does not belong to any account. You may try clearing your browser's cache and cookies by following these instructions.

You can login using any email, username or mobile phone number associated with your account. Make sure that it is typed correctly.


Woo! Officially deleted.
ratanegra
davidv wrote:
It's been over 2 weeks since I've logged onto facebook. That means my account should be permanently deleted. I've tried to login twice just to confirm it and I was unable to do so.

Quote:
The email you entered does not belong to any account. You may try clearing your browser's cache and cookies by following these instructions.

You can login using any email, username or mobile phone number associated with your account. Make sure that it is typed correctly.


Woo! Officially deleted.


Yay! Congratz! Very Happy
metalfreek
Well done but can you continue without the facebook account. A friend of mine deleted his account as well and after 5/6 months he opened it again. Only reason he gave was he was unable to get in touch with friends because most of them don't use IM clients like Yahoo or MSN.

You have taken a great step and I hope you never reopen your account.


Good luck.
medesignz
spinout wrote:
Dinosaur! hehe that must be me! And I got no facebook friend since... People in my age seldom use the internet..


That should be a new FriHost status/user-type
achowles
Never had a Facebook account. Never wanted one. If I wanted to do the whole social networking thing then I think I'd stick to something a little less... disconcerting than Facebook. But yeah, never been into social networking online.
davidv
achowles wrote:
Never had a Facebook account. Never wanted one. If I wanted to do the whole social networking thing then I think I'd stick to something a little less... disconcerting than Facebook. But yeah, never been into social networking online.


I'm confused, does Facebook specifically cause you to feel disconcert or is social networking in general disconcerting? I find it a little silly to not go into a large and popular social networking platform like Facebook, Twitter or Google+ and rather go to something small, not well known or dead, like MySpace if you are interested in social networking. It's suppose to be social platform after all. But if you're not interested then I see no problem in doing anything related social networking.
ankitdatashn
These social websites are too much of an addiction for me, I am trying to keep away from them, but more I try the more addiction increases!! Very Happy I usually check Facebook account 10 times a day, gotta keep a control now! Smile
ExMachina
Now if you could kindly convince my girlfriend to do the same thing, I'd be very grateful...

Between her laptop and that Crackberry attached to her fingertips she's on top of every trivial and pointless status update. She's recently gotten into Twitter so that she can keep up on the vastly important minute to minute activities of our societies dregs (aka celebrities Razz).

I love her to death and I can understand the power for good that social networking offers, by why must so many must fall to the dark side? Rolling Eyes
pandora8921
Laughing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
medesignz
there is discussions in the UK that ID should be revealed on the net... Facebook have agreed, do you?
chasbeen
Think I have one somewhere but not been on it for years. I like 3D facebook better because it's much more interactive. I was out shopping the other day and saw a friend and waved too her. I already knew her age and how she looked so I didn't have to worry that I might be talking to an 80 year old bloke instead.
I'm thinking I might bring out a new website next week that does the same thing but it should be more fun and based on less serious stuff. I think I will call it.....



Footnotes Smile
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.