FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Religious People are Nerds?





Ankhanu
Little bit of College Humour;
Religious People are Nerds.

Intense, man...
watersoul
Nice one for posting that, pretty funny and at the same time scarily close to the truth.
standready
Oh boy, let the battle begin!
deanhills
standready wrote:
Oh boy, let the battle begin!
Thanks for saying this Standready. I find the topic of the thread completely insulting. And I believe it is against the TOS as well:
Quote:
Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not degrade, insult or disrespect other users or groups of people.


I could not open the link as the Website is censored here. But the heading of the topic says it all. I would be grateful if this thread could be canned or moved to the Jokes Forum.
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
Oh boy, let the battle begin!
Thanks for saying this Standready. I find the topic of the thread completely insulting. And I believe it is against the TOS as well:
Quote:
Posts, avatars, signatures and usernames must not degrade, insult or disrespect other users or groups of people.


I could not open the link as the Website is censored here. But the heading of the topic says it all. I would be grateful if this thread could be canned or moved to the Jokes Forum.
I agree, it is just another attemp oof an ahtiestass trying to mac a fight ... but a contr a diction of humour because an atheist is religious Laughing
loremar
Quote:
All nerds have the same net result: Little to know premarital sex.

LOL. I've always been wondering if I'm really truly a nerd. Now, that just confirms it all.Very Happy

Nerd1: "Virginity is totally awesome dude!"
Nerd2: "Sweet! Check out this new Anti-premarital sex software version 3000."
Nerd1: "COOL!" Shocked
watersoul
Lol, we all need a bit of humour in our lives, and yep, the short film linked in the OP is funny and quite cleverly made.

To be fair, I've actually been searching hard for some film/cartoon to balance this thread out (by teasing us atheists in return), but pretty much all the stuff I can find is deadly serious and certainly not intended to make anyone laugh - I guess that speaks volumes in itself Laughing

Ankhanu
Being a nerd, I find the offense surprising.
Sorry if the comedic quality of a "College Humor" video was lost.
Bikerman
I've looked at the complaint that it is offensive and given it some serious thought. I've concluded that it does not require mod intervention*. I have made one change - the addition of a question mark to the title, since I believe that this is meant more as a question for debate rather than an assertion.

* I'm not going to go into detail here, but if you want to know what my decision is based on I've written an entry in my blog about it.
ProfessorY91
Ankhanu wrote:
Being a nerd, I find the offense surprising.
Sorry if the comedic quality of a "College Humor" video was lost.


Exactly what is "offensive" about this post? All I've seen so far is a funny video, a bunch of whining, and very little discussion about content.

Protip: Nerd is a label, but not an intentionally offensive label, methinks.
Bikerman
The reason I got involved is that there was a complaint filed. Some users have expressed the (erroneous) opinion that filing reports is a waste of time because the mods don't look at them. One reason this impression might have been created is that we don't normally notify the complainant of our decision and any action taken. On this occasion I thought I'd take the trouble to explain that I HAD considered the complaint, even though I didn't uphold it.
ProfessorY91
Bikerman wrote:
The reason I got involved is that there was a complaint filed. Some users have expressed the (erroneous) opinion that filing reports is a waste of time because the mods don't look at them. One reason this impression might have been created is that we don't normally notify the complainant of our decision and any action taken. On this occasion I thought I'd take the trouble to explain that I HAD considered the complaint, even though I didn't uphold it.


I'm sorry. I honestly didn't see your post above mine - I, too, am occasionally guilty of reading the first few posts and then replying to content. Now I'm greatful for the "Notify me when a reply is posted". My thanks for excellent, prompt moderation.

Y.
Ankhanu
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Protip: Nerd is a label, but not an intentionally offensive label, methinks.


I think it was intended with offense in its early years, but, in the past two decades, nerd has become something of a badge of honour, rather than an insult. Many readily self-identify as nerds or geeks, and revel in their passions. Others are indifferent, and a small number still see it as an offensive term... but, in today's society, it's a pretty poor attempt at mockery, given the esteem that nerds are held in (at least when their area of expertise proves useful Wink ).

Long story short, nerd is not an offensive term these days, any more than queer is.
tingkagol
I'd be quite flattered if someone called me a nerd. It's pretty hard to qualify as one.
loremar
Nerdiness is good. I bet all frihosters are nerds to some degree. Talk about frihost being populated by mostly programmers, web developers, IT experts, and scientists or hardcore science readers. I don't think there's anyone here that is offended by that term or even hate nerds unless you're a person who go to this church.
It's good when you're passionate about something and spend most of your time in it. Which usually lead to something good. But when you're passion has something to do with exterminating people that's got to be really extreme. I don't think that's nerdiness anymore. That's already madness.
tingkagol
I've heard there's actually about 3 different terms that define 'nerd-ish' behavior:

Nerd - entertainment aspect (from computers, comics, movies, games, etc)
Geek - tech aspect (usually computer science, hacking)
Dork - can contain elements of a nerd/geek, but without the intellect. I think this is the only derogatory word among the three. Smile A good example of this is Napoleon Dynamite.

It's kind of difficult to really draw a line between a nerd and a geek, but someone once said the difference between the two is "geeks get it done".

lol @ Westboro Baptist Church. Trolls, that's all they are.
codersfriend
I disagree with college humor.
First, what geekness or nerdy is all about hobby..
and religion isn't part of that..
second, they're just trying to be atheistic
Ankhanu
codersfriend wrote:
I disagree with college humor.
First, what geekness or nerdy is all about hobby..

[Citation needed]
codersfriend wrote:
second, they're just trying to be atheistic

I think the word you're looking for is "funny".
Yes, there is a mild atheist overtone, but there is also a moderate religious overtone as well. They do make it clear that they're referring to hardcore religious people, not your average religious Joe. I don't think they're really trying to make any kind of statement on the theist/atheist question at all, just poke fun at obsessive human behaviours.
Arty
That's funny
Related topics
Religious Zealot Kills
Federal 'Hate Crimes' Bill Threatens Religious Freedoms
Bush’s Openly Religious Language
[official] Feedback for the Frihost Staff
Good person or religious?
Liberated From Religious Morals?
Meet the religious bear
The most religious experience of your life.
To which clique do you belong?
Brainwashing by our enviroment
Good Religious Music
Religious leaders, US congressmen gather at iftar
Many religious leaders back climate-change action
Pope restates gay marriage ban after California vote
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.