FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

why NOT to disable SSID broadcast

mahirh
if you disable SSID broadcast from your wireless router thinking that it may deter script kiddies from cracking through your wireless security, you have done a stupid mistake. You should know that, by disabling SSID broadcast from your wireless router, you aren't actually restricting them from cracking your wireless security, you are just creating more problems for yourself, and many security experts say that, this only adds merely a few minutes to the cracking process and int probably worth the trouble it may cause to you, you way have circumstances where you have a WiFi device with no option to enter your private SSID and you will have to go on the trouble of setting your ssid and encryption details every single time you want to connect to your network and in some cases you will even have wireless routers in the same channel you have configured your router to be in (or factory set) can create a conflict just because you have disabled SSID broadcast and it is the only way other routers can prevent conflicts
let me ask you then, what kind of security is this?
Asap170
Honestly there really isn't that many script kiddies out near me. And not that many people know how to disable the SSID Broadcast. Also most people don't change their passwords for the router since it's really simple. And if you change it then they probably use John the Ripper and depending on the computer it could take a long time to crack it. I say it's nothing to worry about.