FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Forgot Administrator password

shivaghimire
What is the solution if we forget the administrator password/user password of windows XP? Please I need help if there is any solution please recommend me.
Fire Boar
Windows XP? It's quite straightforward to crack passwords that aren't too complicated with the software samdump2, bkhive and john. This software appears out of the box on the Backtrack Linux live CD, but besides installing this software, the procedure is exactly the same on any other Linux distribution, whether bootable CD or installed.

The following link gives a step-by-step guide to using Backtrack 4 to retrieve Windows passwords. http://www.securityhunk.com/2010/12/retrieve-windows-password-using.html
shivaghimire
Yes, its windows XP and I have solved the problem. Thank you for suggestion and the link that you have provided.
ogah
but how if on bios set only boot from hard disk, and we also forget bios password?
menino
There are a couple of utilities for resetting the windows passwords, but recovering them is new to me, thanks to fire boar for the information, and the link to the know how.

If the BIOS password is stored on the hard disk, I dont think there is a way to recover it; but I think you can remove the hard disk, connect it to a usb controller (external hard disk case), and extract the files you require.
After that, you can reinstall the os using the system preparation disks / cd's that came with the unit.
xSteam
Hiren's Boot CD.
ogah
menino wrote:
There are a couple of utilities for resetting the windows passwords, but recovering them is new to me, thanks to fire boar for the information, and the link to the know how.

If the BIOS password is stored on the hard disk, I dont think there is a way to recover it; but I think you can remove the hard disk, connect it to a usb controller (external hard disk case), and extract the files you require.
After that, you can reinstall the os using the system preparation disks / cd's that came with the unit.

what???? bios pasword stored on hard disk? are you sure?
as i know bios password stored on ram bios and can be reset by moving jumper reset bios or take the battery out from main board
welshsteve
If your user account is an administrator level account you can change the local administrator account through Computer Management.

1. Right click on "My Computer", and choose "Manage".

2. On left hand side under the "System Tools", expand "Local Users and Groups".

3. Now click on "Users"

4. Now on the right hand side, right click on "Administrator" and choose "Reset Password".
therimalaya
First make a bootable CD with some windows interface. I'm using BartPE. But form that CD and reset the administrator password or any other user's password. That is the trick i'm using..
aryan_zion
I felt, Emergency rescue Disk or ERD is the simplest and best for this. Hiren's boot CD also has a mini windows xp interface from which u can actually reset a windows xp password.
stephencarter396
I have used PCUnlocker Live CD for 5 years. It is a boot disk based on Windows PE and it has graphical user interface. I wish it also works with your case. Good luck!
talleyware
Find/download a copy of Ultimate Boot CD -- it has at least one tool where you can boot up (on the CD) and get to login passwords. I have had one or two strange cases where it didn't work, but many more where I was able to basically CHANGE the Admin password to something else (IOW, I couldn't see the existing password, but was able to at least change it, and it worked).

HTH...
Jones2020
Simple, use a boot disk
Marcuzzo
Guys, I'm sure that the OP has reset his password by now so don't bump this thread with posts like "use a boot disk".

If you're going to post something then explain the entire thing.... a boot disk, Windows uses a boot disk, to technically he's ( would have been) using it ( 3 years ago ). without any further explanation this post " use a boot disk" is just garbage.

if you would say something like ( I don't know ):
- " Hey, try OphCrack, it uses rainbow tables to retreive your password, it should work just fine if your password isn't too complex, Hope this helps you out, Cheers [YOUR NAME HERE]".

Or
- "Hi, I've once used this boot disk called NTPassWD, I don't have the link but if you google it you should find it, and it was able to reset the administrator password without any problems, I hope this helps, Cheers [YOUR NAME HERE]"

I hope this helps,
Cheers,
Marcuzzo Wink

EDIT: See, this post was worth 5 points, "Use a boot disk" was what? 0.23points ?
alansyahrir
there are several bootcd you can download (iso images) and burn it to your cd, or burn to your usb flash drive using rufus software... i have tried these bootcd and works great to reset password from windows xp, vista, 7 'til windows 8 :

1. FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD v4.6
2. Hiren's BootCD 15.2
3. Ultimate DLCD Boot 2015

these bootcd also contains windows PE (xp, 7, and/or 8)... the software inside the windows PE or the command prompt alike interface, was so much useful...

try it, this is a must have tool to repair your OS...
Marcuzzo
Dear god, this thread is older then my son Laughing

IMHO external tools are not the way to go for these kind of 'maintenance' tasks, I'm pretty sure that these tools come packed with mallware ( as most hacking tools do ).

instead, you are better off using the free WinPE provided by Microsoft. sure, it takes a bit of work to get it working but if you've done it once you can script it Razz

1. Download WAIK for windows 7 or ADK for Windows 8(.1)

2. Follow these instructions to create a blank WinPE: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709665.aspx

3. Boot the device with the CD/USB, when winpe boots you'll get a cmd window.

4. Change directory to the system32 folder of the installed windows
Code:
cd C:\Windows\System32

5. Create a backup of the "Ease of access" tool
Code:
ren Utilman.exe Utilman2.exe

6. Cope cmd.exe to utilman.exe to get a command prompt instead of the ease of access tool
Code:
copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe

7. reboot the machine
Code:
shutdown /t 0 /r

8. make sure to reboot into the regular windows. and not into winPE again.

9. Click on the ease of access icon in the login window, now you have a cmd window which is running under the SYSTEM context, that's rights... you are the 'machine' now.

10. Create a new user account:
Code:
net user UnAdmin NotAnAdmin123 /ADD

11. Add the new user to the local administrators group
Code:
net localgroup Administrators UnAdmin /ADD

now you can log on with the user 'UnAdmin' and password 'NotAnAdmin123', and guess what... UnAdmin is member of the local Administrators group.

NOTE 1: make sure to clean up after you've changed those files.
NOTE 2: this will not work on devices that have been encrypted with bitlocker, truecrypt or any other encryption mechanism

and hopefully this thread will be locked down now
deanhills
OK let me give it a bash, particularly since I'm hard up for finding threads to post to. Razz

I used to love Windows XP until I was forced by Microsoft to change to Windows 7.

As far as I can remember for windows xp the key to changing anything including passwords is to get into the Administrator account. The easiest way to access it is to go into safe mode. You do this by tapping F8 just after the self test, and before windows starts to load. Choose safe mode, then click on the administrator account. From there you can change any passwords in the control panel under user accounts. You do not have to know any of the passwords to change them.
Marcuzzo
deanhills wrote:
OK let me give it a bash, particularly since I'm hard up for finding threads to post to. Razz

I used to love Windows XP until I was forced by Microsoft to change to Windows 7.

As far as I can remember for windows xp the key to changing anything including passwords is to get into the Administrator account. The easiest way to access it is to go into safe mode. You do this by tapping F8 just after the self test, and before windows starts to load. Choose safe mode, then click on the administrator account. From there you can change any passwords in the control panel under user accounts. You do not have to know any of the passwords to change them.

XP was a long time ago for me but if I remember correctly, the default Administrator in XP was not disabled like in the newer versions and the password was blank.
so you could basically hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to bring up the loginbox, enter administrator as username and the password field empty... Razz
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
deanhills wrote:

XP was a long time ago for me but if I remember correctly, the default Administrator in XP was not disabled like in the newer versions and the password was blank.
so you could basically hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice to bring up the loginbox, enter administrator as username and the password field empty... Razz
Haha .... you beat mine for a quicker and shorter solution. Laughing

Darn! I do miss Windows XP. I'm going to see if I can get a copy somewhere just for nostalgic reasons. Like a collector item like Windows 98 used to be.
Marcuzzo
Hi Dean,

if you've got an MSDN sub you could download it there: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/hh442898.aspx#searchTerm=Windows%20XP

otherwise there's XP mode: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8002.

less then an hour ago I received a call from a service desk agent that was having issues to fix a problem on a XP device.... Laughing
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
less then an hour ago I received a call from a service desk agent that was having issues to fix a problem on a XP device.... Laughing
Laughing

I've started experimenting with Virtualbox, however probably will need a license if I were to load
XP. Microsoft's beady eyes must extend to Virtualboxes as well. Definitely on the to-do list to get a license. I'll get there one day. Razz
zarawatsonn
You can go for online tutorials for that. In internet there are some tools bu which you can crack the passwords by booting that software tool.