FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need an Android Texting App

weableandbob
Hello, I recently bought an Android phone, and it works great. However, being the cheap person I am, I don't have either texting or data plans, relying instead on wi-fi. I've been looking for a free app that allows me to send/receive texts. I've been trying AOL Instant Messenger because it allows you to send IM's to phones as text messages, and it works fairly well. The two problems I've had with it are that it doesn't have access to your phone's contacts (meaning that I have to manually input every number in order to be able to text someone) and that if I'm not connected to the internet, it often times simply replies to the text with another saying that I am unavailable. Does anyone know of an app that can access the phone's contact list and/or receive messages when you aren't connected to the internet?
badai
viber

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.viber.voip

but you need to be connected to the Internet to use it.
weableandbob
Yeah, the problem I have with that is that it requires anyone you call/text to have it installed as well. Seeing as a large number of my friends don't have smartphones, it wouldn't be usable with most. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edit: Turns out that Google Voice can send texts and also use your contacts list. Google saves the day once again Very Happy
SultanMA
Whatsapp is the best iphone/android/symbian/blackberry ... etc. messaging client.