FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Facebook Settings





Possum
Hi

Is there a way for me to have my comments open to all of the internet. But keep my friends comments private on facebook


Thank you..
wombatrpgs
Unfortunately that'd be up to your friends to alter their settings.
Aredon
Yeah I was going to say, that sounds like it would open up all kinds of privacy issues. Which facebook already has their fair share of.
chatrack
Hi,
Your friend see only according to the setting he made.
kirii
unfortunately unable to do so
myqute
If someone can copy and paste your comment elsewhere (in a group or in someone's else's wall) regardless of whether the person mentions the comments are from you or not, such a comment is no longer "private".

Hmmmm....I don't see how Facebook comments can be private. That's how a private employment agency in USA is able to collate info on anyone and make that info available to their clients (perhaps a prospective employer of yours).

Otherwise, your other option is to have a FB account but not having any identification (photos or otherwise) that can link that account to you. Beware though, FB will make you go through loops of fire to prove that that account is not your duplicate account. Rare of them to do this but they have done this to some people before (friends of my friends).

Are you on FB? Please be friends with me! ^_^ Facebook.com/kelly.toxicfoods (only viewable if you are logged into FB.)
standready
I don't have or want a FaceBook account so I cannot help you. Just have your 'friends' email you their comments. Is that private enough?
foumy6
well if you use the new facebook i dont think that that will be a problem though you will have many others >.<
deanhills
Nothing on the Internet is private. Facebook is not supposed to be private either. It is in Facebook's interest to get people to be as "un"private as it can. There is a presumption of a certain amount of privacy, but common sense says that if we really value our privacy that we would stay away from social networks. Or make sure we protect our identity as much as possible when we are connected with a social network.

I'm with Standready. I'm not with Facebook. I'm not into social networks at all.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Nothing on the Internet is private. Facebook is not supposed to be private either. It is in Facebook's interest to get people to be as "un"private as it can. There is a presumption of a certain amount of privacy, but common sense says that if we really value our privacy that we would stay away from social networks. Or make sure we protect our identity as much as possible when we are connected with a social network.

I'm with Standready. I'm not with Facebook. I'm not into social networks at all.


Don't you think Frihost is quite similar to Facebook?

No, we don't have a friends list, and we don't ask for your address or phone number. However you don't have to fill those out on Facebook either.

Facebook is pretty good on privacy settings. Currently, (on my profile) the only information viewable to the public (that isn't on my friends list) Is my name, activities, interest and my profile picture. All of which I can still choose to be private if I like.

On Facebook all I really do is chat with friends and occasionally upload photos. Pretty similar to what I'm doing on Frihost - just a different group of friends. My Facebook is my actual local friends (or people I actually know) where as Frihost is all online.

edit: Now that I think of it, Frihost is displaying more personal information about me than my public Facebook page does. On my public facebook profile, you don't even know what country I am from. My Frihost profile displays the state I live in. Not that it bothers me, I personally don't mind at all - I'm just saying. Smile
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
edit: Now that I think of it, Frihost is displaying more personal information about me than my public Facebook page does. On my public facebook profile, you don't even know what country I am from. My Frihost profile displays the state I live in. Not that it bothers me, I personally don't mind at all - I'm just saying. Smile
I thought one could clearly see in Facebook who is friends with whom. And not under assumed names either. Having said that, I don't want to knock Facebook as there are millions of people out there who love Facebook. Maybe it is enough to say it is just not my thing.


Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Nope. I believe Facebook used to be that way, but they have made many improvements.

In fact, even your Facebook friends' friends may not be able to see that you're friends with specific people if your privacy settings are that strong, which is possible.

Here's what my Facebook profile looks like to the public: http://www.facebook.com/kyle.gile

There is a "friends" link on my profile, but clicking it will just bring you to a sign up page, since I don't allow non-friends to view my own friends. I think if you have a profile on Facebook you may be able to see my friends if you aren't my friend, but I believe I can change that as well.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
There is a "friends" link on my profile, but clicking it will just bring you to a sign up page, since I don't allow non-friends to view my own friends. I think if you have a profile on Facebook you may be able to see my friends if you aren't my friend, but I believe I can change that as well.
Sounds great, but what about the people who are not savvy enough to figure that out? Shouldn't all of that be automatic without having to fiddle around with the settings to make it private? I.e. it should default to completely private without having to set it up differently.

For example take Google's Blogger. If you don't work on the settings, your blogs will automatically default to Public. If Google is sincere in being concerned about people's privacy and security the default should be private, until the user changes the setting to public.

Ditto Gmail. If Google is sincere in us maintaining our privacy there should be an immediate option for disallowing bots to scan our posts. Or to connect up our accounts. Or to build stats about how we use our e-mail accounts and all of the different Websites we visit when we click on the Google Plus link.
Ghost Rider103
For users who were already on Facebook before all of the new security updates, I'm sure the original settings would have stayed the same, however I have no way of knowing for sure.

But I have been on Facebook since 2007 or 2008 I believe. In that short time I was on there, Facebook would have pop-ups telling you about the new privacy updates. As soon as you logged in after the update, it would take you through and let you select who was able to view your profile (ie. friends, friends of friends, everyone, "me" only, etc.).

So unless nobody ready the important page on the privacy settings when it popped up, they should all know.

For brand new members, I can't really comment.

I would assume Facebook would take you through the same privacy settings steps as they took me through at once.

You could always go through the steps to set one up and find out how upfront about privacy they really are.

I can't think of a reason Facebook would want to have everyone's information to the public. It won't create any more pages than a private one would, as all the information is on one page (i.e. facebook.com/username). Having your information available to friends comes in handy as friends. I've had people grab my cell # off of my page after they get a new phone or something and need to get it again and I've done the same.

Which brings another question, how would Facebook benefit by having everyone's information available to the public?
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Which brings another question, how would Facebook benefit by having everyone's information available to the public?
More activity on their Website? The more information that is available to see, the greater the number of hits?
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Which brings another question, how would Facebook benefit by having everyone's information available to the public?
More activity on their Website? The more information that is available to see, the greater the number of hits?

I thought the threat was more that Facebook makes the information available privately, as in, just sells it to the highest bidder.
deanhills
wombatrpgs wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Which brings another question, how would Facebook benefit by having everyone's information available to the public?
More activity on their Website? The more information that is available to see, the greater the number of hits?

I thought the threat was more that Facebook makes the information available privately, as in, just sells it to the highest bidder.
I was unaware of it. If that is true, then I'm even more cautious than before.

Tonight when I was checking out which Websites had a Ranking of 10/10, the US Government Website has a 10/10. I was wondering whether the US Government would be monitoring the information of all its Website visitors and be storing IP addresses of the visitors?
Related topics
Stitching multiple linear photos
Facebook profile viewing
e-mail problems
problem with e-mail settings
Can I change my IP settings in the registry itself?
Facebook.com
wrong configuration or server software (settings)? solved
Gmail for your domain test...
First version of Space.FRIH.net is live!!
Windows Desktop Properties Settings
Settings for dreamweaver
Hard Drive jumper settings...?
Account Settings Page, Edit Directory Listings
Saving Settings
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.