FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meteorite Hunting: tips, please?

quex
Well, I'm fortunate enough to live in Tucson, Arizona (for now), the location where the famous Tucson Ring was found, and where tons of meteorite hunters appear every year to try their luck at finding space rocks in the desert. Yet to find one myself. Anybody out there go hunting for space rocks? Other than "get a metal detector", is there any advice you could share with me?
ocalhoun
If tons of meteorite hunters go there every year, find one of them who is experienced and often finds them, go with that guy to learn the ropes.

Like many things, you can probably learn it best by working with somebody who knows what he's doing.
Ankhanu
Yeah; as far as I know, the main skills that you need to pick up are observational and knowing what to look for. You can't really get that from text, you have to see and feel to really get the information.
quex
Which is all good advice, except the guys down here are territorial as f*ck and won't even show you their finds, let alone allow you join in on their hunts. -_-; Meteorites are worth money, so it's not like tagging along with the local rockhounds on a Saturday morning hike to find agates. That's kinda why I'm hoping someone here (who hunts on a whole different continent and therefore doesn't have a stake in the desert) might give me tips.
Robert_Redbeard
They have a show about meteor hunters. They give a lot of information about how and where to look. Only thing I can say is the main tool I see them use is a magnet on a stick. Most have iron in them and will be attracted.

Search on Youtube. You are bound to find something.
quex
Robert_Redbeard wrote:
They have a show about meteor hunters. They give a lot of information about how and where to look. Only thing I can say is the main tool I see them use is a magnet on a stick. Most have iron in them and will be attracted.

Search on Youtube. You are bound to find something.

...Thanks, but I was hoping to find some more introspective advice. ._. It seems real insight on this topic, much like in any rockhounding where the target specimen is worth money, is not free.
Bikerman
This might be a bit basic...
http://www.howtofindmeteorites.com/tips-and-tricks-2/
quex
Bikerman wrote:
This might be a bit basic...
http://www.howtofindmeteorites.com/tips-and-tricks-2/

Familiar with that site myself. Laughing Thank you nonetheless, Bikerman.

I've since learned one good way to get in on a group hunt without paying membership is to follow the local U of A mineralogy classes in the spring when they make field expeditions. Apparently the professors are a bit more loose with their hunt zones than the hobbyists. They go up north, though, where there are more tiny bits and very few major finds.

It's still ridiculous trying to find a good site that isn't already tagged by some private hunter... local news reports people moving the property boundary signs at our local air base to include places they've made a find, just to ward off other hunters. Jeeze.

(Maybe I'm just bitter because my one and only piece of lechatelierite broke recently. Sorry.)