FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does History really teach us something ?!

misharnet
That is something we've all heard for a dozen of times,that History is a teacher of life! Is it really like that? Almost every generation is acting like there was never anything before them! Like everything begins from now. That is why we are making a lot of mistakes from the past ones again!
A thousands of years a hundreds of generations have lived before us.They where collecting their own experiences and impressions and put it all in one word ... TRADITION...Now, if we are smart enough, the Tradition will be just something that we will fulfill with our own impressions and experiences, and leave it to the next generations...but I am afraid that we are not heading that direction. There is more and more "Gurus","Politics","Theories"...that are trying to assure us, that people in the past where wrong,and that we, now days, are discovering the new "Truths" about life on this planet!...Am I wrong...?!...
mazito
I THINK THE QUESTION IS GOOD

but your aproach is just a tiny part of the answer, the history is there with it limits, becuase history is wrote by winners and so....

But dont you think about that the fact is we the people dont listen to history, we just act by animal instinct, so the thing is educating people to collect all the posible data, analyze it and the make a plan, but most time the humans beings was just acting by reflex nos by reflection of the information available.

IMHO
yagnyavalkya
Knowing history is important
asnani04
Yes, History does teach us many things. Steve Jobs died yesterday. He became history. Now, if young people study about him, they will gain knowledge about innovation, brain storming techniques, tactics, entrepreneurship, etc. That is why, I think, history is important. Some events may not hold any importance in today's world, but many things teach us about life and things that we barely care about.

The way Chanakya took things in his hands and transformed the political arena with his plotting genius is just fantastic, AND HOLDS MEANING EVEN TODAY, IN THIS WICKED POLITICAL WORLD. The same goes for the French, Russian and Glorious Revolutions also. Shocked
loyal
I think too much emphasis is on the facts and not on what can be learnt from history. We need to learn from the mistakes of those before us.
menino
Of course history is important. It has taught us how bad decisions were made and how even good decisions were made at that time.
It shows us the way to move forward.
I agree with you, that past mistakes have been repeated over and I know they will be repeated in the future, but fact of the matter is that at least we have something to compare to and move forward.

I think because of history, the world is more richer today. There are less wars than before, less violence as well. And a lot fo progress.
Education is everywhere, although not everyone is taking advantage of it; and some take more advantage from it for their own financial gains.
But fact is that history is important..... maybe not to everyone, but for those who find it interesting at least.
For example, ancient mesopotamia still had a sewer system that was copied in todays modern world. This historical fact may not be useful for everyone, but there are people out there who will find it interesting and a way to improve todays modern sewer system.
yagnyavalkya
Knowing history is important as it is very informative
kainster
I think learning history is not to learn the past, but to forecast the future from what happened before
Crockett024
If you don't know about the past, you will make the same mistakes over and over again. That's why history is my favorite subject.
sanjaya200
you need to know your past, and were went wrong in your life or in anyone life, so that you will nor repeat the same mistake.

history is not a rule its only a guide.
_AVG_
I think history teaches us some important things like

How cultures evolved
How trends evolved
How the interaction of different cultures facilitates change
Etc

It's all about evolution

And of course it provides interesting stories
zimmer
misharnet wrote:
That is something we've all heard for a dozen of times,that History is a teacher of life! Is it really like that? Almost every generation is acting like there was never anything before them! Like everything begins from now. That is why we are making a lot of mistakes from the past ones again!
A thousands of years a hundreds of generations have lived before us.They where collecting their own experiences and impressions and put it all in one word ... TRADITION...Now, if we are smart enough, the Tradition will be just something that we will fulfill with our own impressions and experiences, and leave it to the next generations...but I am afraid that we are not heading that direction. There is more and more "Gurus","Politics","Theories"...that are trying to assure us, that people in the past where wrong,and that we, now days, are discovering the new "Truths" about life on this planet!...Am I wrong...?!...

well for my opinion History does not teach us.. this depends more on politics that can update the LAWS based on the past.. but in other way with no interest in political slightly teach us.. for individual.. this depends..
Raandyy
yes we live cause hitler suicided and japan surrendered so we are all not japanese
D'Artagnan
Raandyy wrote:
yes we live cause hitler suicided and japan surrendered so we are all not japanese

so, had the a bombs not been dropped, we would all have been infected by that vírus which turns us into japanese people?
Bluedoll
History is a source of information. What we do with it really depends on us. Certainly we can learn something and because many things go around in cycles the lessons learned can be good considerations for the future.

History does not do a thing to change anything by itself though I can agree with that. It is simply history. We have to have the desire to change something before we can use any tool to make it happen?
bukaida
There is a proverb that " History repeats itself ". The history also carries the heritage of a nation.

The history tells us the cause and effect that happened earlier and can serve as future guide. There were good and bad guys. History tells us the facts that if you follow the path of the bad guys or misuse the power, what may happen. So it has the same importance as " Statistics" with a long duration.
bijit
Quote:
History enhances judgment and decision making i.e. History serves a current generation with instances where good and bad decisions were made. This eventually forms a basis of learning and virtual aid to any crucial judgment or decision making. Most judicial systems around the world borrow heavily from historical circumstances in the course of delivering justice
It presents the opportunity to learn from examples of the past
It allows one to realize where say a society is coming from and just how so much has changed.
History provides or serves a good understanding of the people and their culture.
nguyenvulong
Well, in my opinion, the answer is YES ..

History repeats itself => true.

That's why some scientists try to read history to "predict" the future changes .

And it won't hurt when you learn about something right? Increasing our knowledgel makes us better .
Afaceinthematrix
nguyenvulong wrote:

That's why some scientists try to read history to "predict" the future changes .

And it won't hurt when you learn about something right? Increasing our knowledgel makes us better .

Wrong. Scientists don't use "history" to predict future changes. Scientists use data and empirical evidence to come up with hypothesis - which are falsifiable claims - and theories to explain phenomenon (which might include predictions about the future). The only "history" that scientists care about is the history of the data in their experiment.
bukaida
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
nguyenvulong wrote:

Wrong. Scientists don't use "history" to predict future changes. Scientists use data and empirical evidence to come up with hypothesis - which are falsifiable claims - and theories to explain phenomenon (which might include predictions about the future). The only "history" that scientists care about is the history of the data in their experiment.

However, in schools, children are still taught about the history of science to know how the subject has developed. The history is also based on solid facts and data similar to science. Lots of scientific tools are used by modern historians.
History is definitely not equal to His - Story Smile
crystalkey
Knowing your history is essential. Failing to learn from it can prove disastrous ...
Radar
History teaches us about human nature, and that regimes and technology don't change that.
drunkenkoz
I have to say that there was a lot of things I learned in History class that I have no use for in the real world. Knowing the history of our country is important in some ways, but when I learn about wars and historical events that happened in other countries really doesn't peek my interest. When I was in high school I just tuned out most of the stuff I learned.
jajarvin
This day is history tomorrow. This mean that every day in your life you make history!
The question in now: do you learn something of your life.
darthrevan
I believe it does teach us a lesson. Think about it, for example if you do something bad, your parents would punish you. That becomes part of history because you will look back at it and remember it was bad you got punished for it and are suppose to remember that and not do it again.
bukaida
darthrevan wrote:
I believe it does teach us a lesson. Think about it, for example if you do something bad, your parents would punish you. That becomes part of history because you will look back at it and remember it was bad you got punished for it and are suppose to remember that and not do it again.

Yeah right Smile but it will be purely "Personal History".
zaxacongrejo
history prevent us to comit the same errors from the past
slimviking
misharnet wrote:
That is something we've all heard for a dozen of times,that History is a teacher of life! Is it really like that? Almost every generation is acting like there was never anything before them! Like everything begins from now. That is why we are making a lot of mistakes

Couldn't agree more !
Indeed history is the biggest teacher, unfortunately we are very bad students !

The USA now is 100% alike to Roman Empire at the verge of collapse: a great and powerful empire destroyed by immigration (and extinction of original population) only few years later
testsoc
Ignore history - repeat its mistakes.
TheLimey
If it was not for history we would still be clubbing each other and living in caves
jajathanja
The fact that you are reading this post means that World War III did not happen and the idea of the teaching of history as a long winded story that could be very interesting at times but at the same time be equally so very boring. So much so that you begin to regret that you even touched on the topic out of the utter senseless boredom that it has caused... It was either that or clubbing each other for an eternity Laughing ..... So I guess it's working, I mean teaching us something. Ok that's History, now what about Yourstory?
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
history prevent us to comit the same errors from the past

+1

My two cents on the subject: of course we can learn from history ! jews are not lynched anymore and we all know where what went wrong because our history teacher told us. 40-45. And what about the 19th century, with factories employing 12 year old kids for 16 hrs/day for hunger wages.. we don't do that anymore, because the historian Marx pinpointed these downsides of the industrial revolution in an early stage. To me, these seem two important lessons we've learned from history, that is historians.

Lx
LxGoodies
jajathanja wrote:
The fact that you are reading this post means that World War III did not happen and the idea of the teaching of history as a long winded story that could be very interesting at times but at the same time be equally so very boring. So much so that you begin to regret that you even touched on the topic out of the utter senseless boredom that it has caused... It was either that or clubbing each other for an eternity Laughing ..... So I guess it's working, I mean teaching us something. Ok that's History, now what about Yourstory?

Ok you predicted the future.. Why adding all that other crap . points ? Razz
truespeed
Are we learning from history or are we just learning that maybe we aren't all that different afterall?,what with international travel and becoming the global world that we now are,instead of the pockets of civilisations that we once were fearing the unkown.

You also have to factor in the fact that we are in the nuclear age,I am sure without that there would have been plenty of wars between the major nations since the ending of the 2nd world war.
limpands
Ofcourse
theShadow
Things just keep getting more & more complicated. Other than this, history pretty much repeats itself!
amagard
"That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history." said Aldous Huxley, author of "Brave New World".
He might be right, but sometimes we do. See what I found on Lifehacker today:

Quote:
“We are so overwhelmed with things these days that our lives are all, more or less, cluttered. I believe it is this, rather than a shortness of time, that gives us that feeling of hurry and almost of helplessness. Everyone is hurrying and usually just a little late. Notice the faces of the people who rush past on the streets or on our country roads! They nearly all have a strained, harassed look, and anyone you meet will tell you there is no time for anything anymore.”

Who sais this ? Laura Ingalls Wilder. She was an American writer, author of the Little House series of novels based on her childhood in a pioneer family.
When did she say this ? 1924.
Isn't that amazing ? We think it is a symptom of our modern times that we are all so busy and overwhelmed with things to do, and that we feel guilty when not rushing and multi-tasking ?
It is less a symptom of modern times nor a consequence of modern technology, it is more of human nature and psychology, as said in this Lifehacker article "Having 21st Century Technology Doesn't Automatically Make You Too Busy" where I got this quote from: "… it's worth remembering that people were tired and busy long before we got here."
duytam28
Yes, of course. We can avoid making silly mistakes bu learning from history.