FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thinking of an influence of smoking

trucnv89
I am not smokers. And i never like to smoke. Its unpleasant smell and awful. When you sit near a smoker, you will feel like?Uncomfortable, claustrophobic and just want to stay away from that person out. What do you think?
loremar
Yeah, I don't like smoking either. And people should stay away from a smoker. Second Hand Smoking which a non-smoker get from a smoker is more dangerous than smoking on our own. That's why in my country just recently, they ban smoking in public. You can't see any smoker in the streets. Smoking in public especially in a crowded place or any place where people go, is just plain rude and dangerous to everyone's health who get second hand smoking from people smoking in public.
gverutes
It's made such a difference in cities/states that have adopted the ban. First, your clothing don't reek of smoke when you get home from a bar or restaurant. Also, if you worked at one of these public places and were pregnant you would have had to choose between your job and hurting the baby.

All in all it's a great move and I hope it gets adopted everywhere.
desertmoonbookemporium
I think it is very rude for a smoker to invade a non smokers space. I do not want to die from second hand smoke. Cigarettes are nasty, dirty, and smelly. Cigarette smoke ruins your car, your house and everything in it.

Smoking kills you. I cannnot believe that ia not enough for everyone to stop smoking. I have seen people having to be on oxygen because of smoking and "STILL SMOKES"!!! Helloooooo!

I am very grateful for the laws we have towards public smoking. Could you imagine if you went out to dinner and had to breathe in everyones smoke??? How could you eat? One used to could buy cigareetes out of a machine. Now you cannot and our youth are better protected.

And it does not matter where you stand or sit around a smoker. The smoke still comes toward you!!
Nameless
I dislike the smell of smoke as much as anyone who hasn't become addicted to it, but I cannot imagine second hand smoke being any worse for you (outside, at least) than exhaust fumes from a car. If I notice somebody smoking while I'm eg. waiting at a bus stop then okay that's annoying and I might take a few steps away, but it's no worse than any number of other small things people do.

I've always been kind of torn on bans for inside smoking. It feels wrong to legislate what is and isn't allowed in a privately owned business, but from a practical perspective I'm happy with the laws we have in Western Australia.
shivaghimire
I too is not smoker too. I haven't taste till now and I couldn't think of smoking. I fell so angry whose smoke comes to me. Its too irritating. Oh god, how the people could smoke?
Bikerman
Well, I smoke. I think I'm fairly typical of most smokers - we are generally very sensitive to the feelings of others and don't smoke where it might upset people. If I am in someone's home I assume that smoking is a no-no unless explicitly invited to smoke. I don't smoke near children and I don't smoke at work (college) because I don't wish to set an example for students.
Having said all of that - I find the research on second-hand smoke to be unconvincing.
Afaceinthematrix
Nameless wrote:

I've always been kind of torn on bans for inside smoking. It feels wrong to legislate what is and isn't allowed in a privately owned business, but from a practical perspective I'm happy with the laws we have in Western Australia.

Interesting... I've been arguing that one for years and I remember a time where you didn't agree!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109145-7.html

Yeah I know we generally are not allowed to reference other threads but this one is so similar. At any rate, I am glad you finally see my point. Smoking should be banned in public i.e. places funded by tax dollars (schools, libraries, court houses, etc.) but it should be up to the owner of a building if smoking is or is not allowed. So if I personally own a restaurant, then the choice as to if customers and employees are allowed the smoke inside should be up to me since I personally own the building and it's technically my private property.

Personally, I don't smoke (tobacco). I do smoke marijuana occasionally (the last time I touched the stuff was December of 2010 so that would be about 8 months ago) and salvia divinorum a little more frequently (about 4-5 times a year). However, unlike most nonsmokers, the smell doesn't bother me at all. Secondhand smoke doesn't bother me and I don't see it as being much more dangerous than any other types of fumes. Although if I owned a house I wouldn't want people to smoke indoors because it does and can ruin the paint and I don't mind people smoking in my old car, but if I ever buy a brand new car then it's a no-way for at least a year until that new car smell has worn off and the interior is fading anyways.
noodlesoup
Don't let your life get cut short because of smoking!!!
bukaida
Smoking is a bad habit that has become a tradition for hundreds of years. Here in kolkata, smoking in public places like park, hotels, bus stop, railway station is strictly banned. Every year the price of the cigs are increasing rapidly. However it is not being able to stop smoking. I really feel bad for the passive smokers ( specially children and asthama patients).

P.S I do smoke 2 cigs /day , one at the morning and the other after returning home from my job. Both of them are smoked on my roof top, without affecting others. I tried many times to quit it , but remained unsuccessful so far.
milkshake01
bukaida wrote:
Smoking is a bad habit that has become a tradition for hundreds of years. Here in kolkata, smoking in public places like park, hotels, bus stop, railway station is strictly banned. Every year the price of the cigs are increasing rapidly. However it is not being able to stop smoking. I really feel bad for the passive smokers ( specially children and asthama patients).

P.S I do smoke 2 cigs /day , one at the morning and the other after returning home from my job. Both of them are smoked on my roof top, without affecting others. I tried many times to quit it , but remained unsuccessful so far.

Try quitting by reducing the number of times you smoke each day until you no longer smoke.
zaxacongrejo
i look like an old train yes i do smoke
yes i do smoke
yes i love it
yes it will eventualy kill me
but guess what we all have to die some day
jajarvin
I have never been smoker. I think you who do smoke should stop smoking.
ZeytinGrafik
i loved to smoke but i woke up one morning six years ago, looked at my pack of cigarettes and saw only one in it. took it, smoked it and did not smoke after that. I feel healthier (&richer). Very Happy
bennybumkins
Smoking is horrid, it smells bad makes breath, clothes smell bad. It stains teeth tars lungs can lead to a lot of health problems and is practically throwing money away. I have never understood the facisnation with smoking it has little to no good effect to the mind body. I am glad they have banned smoking in pubs and restaurants in the UK it has made the place so much better to be able to eat a meal and not have to breath in second hand smoke.
SonLight
@bukaida, congratulations on so effectively reducing your habit.

@milkshake01, obviously he has already followed your advice with a great deal of success. I would say he has reduced his smoking to the point where it is no longer a bad habit, only a questionable one.
dhakalmukul
smoking = inviting diseases ....
I do not find any advantage of smoking, but still people smoke ... this must be the 8th wonder of the world Very Happy
Nick2008
I hate the smell of cigarette smoke, it is absolutely disgusting and repulsive. On the contrary, the aroma that comes from high quality tobacco in a smoking pipe is actually not bad and reminds me of the aroma of a fireplace in a cabin somewhere in the woods.

I think there are multiple reasons people start smoking:
1. Curiosity - People want to try something new and see what it's like so they start trying cigarettes. They do say curiosity killed the cat... Razz
2. Family Members - If your family has a lot of smokers you are constantly reminded about cigarettes and may ultimately go out and try them for yourself.
3. "Cool Factor" - Smoking has been constantly seen as a somewhat suave and classy thing to do, especially in some of the older movies and shows. Although this notion has diminished in recent times, the impression on would-be smokers remains. I will argue that smoking a pipe is more classy than smoking cigarettes, as quite a few people of higher ranks have smoked pipes (think Sherlock Holmes, Albert Einstein, ship captains, presidents...).

In the end, any type of tobacco smoking is bad for you. The second-hand smoke from cigarettes is offensive and I'm all for banning smokers from public indoor locations.

I don't think smoking will ever go away completely as it has been rooted into our society's culture for hundreds of years.
codegeek
I don't smoke but many of my friends do. I asked them why they do it, and they say that it provides a sort of warmth in the chest which is unlike anything else and it numbs the senses. Yes, I feel curious sometimes, but I think that if I ever started smoking, it would not be possible to just stop. Hence, I have never tried it, and don't plan to either. I don't really mind the smell of cigarette smoke as much as the claustrophobic feeling one gets when among a group of smokers. So, I generally avoid such situations as far as possible.

However, this does not mean that I consider smokers to be bad people. It's their life and their decision, and I do not feel that it is right to pass judgement. I strongly believe in the philosophy that says live your life according to your own wishes and let others do so as well.