FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology

Dementei
Click here to watch.

Quote:
"Unlimited Detail is a technology which was secretly in development for many years. It enables computers to display infinite geometry at real time frame rates and has made many prominent appearances in the media, in magazines including New Scientist, Wired, Popular Science, Hyper, Atomic and PC Power Play amongst others." -www.Euclideon.com

I don't know about you guys.. but I am really diggin this, it's a dream come true.
I've always wanted to have real dirt in a game, cya later polygon budget.
kacsababa
Read a little more about it on real tech sites (and not youtube comments) before you get too exited.

It is a known technology and actually they did not address any of the drawbacks of the technique.

Just a few:
- Storage? With this technology to store an average sized game's data it would be multiple terrabytes (at least) and that is the compressed data.
- Dynamic lights? Dynamic shadows? Where are they?
- Actually demonstrated weighted animation.
- Interactivity? For example movable objects, physics, destroyable/buildable environment. They didn't mention the problems with these either.

I agree with most game-industry people, they may doing something good, but it is not a revolution and they communicate it a flashy way for to earn some funds. Because they didn't talk about the negative sides or how they engine overcomes those they just becoming untrustworthy.
Nameless
If I wanted to see something hyper-realistic, I could just go outside and look at the dirt. Being able to perfectly replicate static dirt is not what inspires me to play your video game.
rayxzero
What kind of hardware (GPU) they are using to render this demo?

GPU Tesselation Technology is more promising.
Many comment said that the unlimited detail is a fake.
weableandbob
It looks interesting for sure, but like kacsababa said, there are still issues/drawbacks that they haven't addressed yet.
wombatrpgs
I won't be convinced until they offer a tech demo. There's really no reason this couldn't have all been prerendered.
kacsababa
No, the (techdemo) video is real (or could be), the tecnology exist.
NVidia made their own techdemo about the same technology, it was a catherdral, smaller scene (but nicer).
Lots of companies experimented with voxel based game engines (Carmack even tried to convince GPU manufacturers to go with hardware accelerated voxel rendering), but usually they just drop it, too much problems. And here they are not saying anything about those problems either. Just repeating the same sentences (uuuunlimiteeeeeeed...) and doing flashy (and stupid) comparison shots.
wombatrpgs
kacsababa wrote:
No, the (techdemo) video is real (or could be), the tecnology exist.
NVidia made their own techdemo about the same technology, it was a catherdral, smaller scene (but nicer).
Lots of companies experimented with voxel based game engines (Carmack even tried to convince GPU manufacturers to go with hardware accelerated voxel rendering), but usually they just drop it, too much problems. And here they are not saying anything about those problems either. Just repeating the same sentences (uuuunlimiteeeeeeed...) and doing flashy (and stupid) comparison shots.

Well, they seem to be claiming that they have found a way to render voxels fast enough to be feasible. The video, as you said, doesn't really say much when it could've been prerendered or run on a very high end machine. Until they actually release a tech demo that others can test, there's nothing to back up the claim.

Or maybe they think they're sitting on top of a ton of money if they have figured something out, and backwards engineering a tech demo could cost them that. If they have done it, then there's definitely money out there...
kacsababa
No, I didn't mean the video is fake or pre-rendered. What you see there is actually possible. But if you perceptive, you can see the problems.

Just a few objects repeating (they are instanced, only stored in the memory once) and they all facing the same direction (that could be fixed).

The lighting sucks, even their other video, where they show the lighting it still ugly and there is only one lightsource, which is like we would go back ten years.

There is the animation, and dynamic environment problem. They don't want to show, because it is not ready, then maybe they shouldn't speak about the technology as it would be ready and suitable for production?

And everybody asking about the cpu/memory/gpu usage. Although the memory could be a problem without this heavy instancing and a normal ammount of game content, but the main problem is the storage. To store the content of an average game with this technology you need an enourmous hdd (and a fast one too). Do you want to sacrafice an 8TB hdd for one game? And few experts talking about even more storage need for the technology.

Oh and the australian government already gave them two million...
Dementei
Haha, all the negativity in this joint..well I think with enough funding they could actually get somewhere with this. Polygons are a pretty big problem, I know from first hand. Anyhow I know we don't know all the details, there are plenty of questions for sure but nothing is for certain, so give it time before making assumptions. Until then..I say good luck to that team they are gonna need it.