FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox is having a Bad Impact on my System

Possum
Hi

I checked on Firefox with Windows Task Manager and saw that it is having a very negative impact on my system. You can see Chrome and Firefox here..

Is there any way to reduce this.

I need Firefox as it has Add-Ons that I use for Developing. I have an E8400 processor..

Thank you..

Tutorial for this Topic in Progress
http://udopage.com/firefox-advance-windows-task-manager.php
Navigator
I had the same thoughts the other day as it even got to 500MB, just a few things to consider, how many tabs you have open? How many plugins, add-ons?

I used to have around 10-15 tabs open at the same time and having the Web Developer Toolbar AND Firebug on every other page and several other development addons, so FF crashed sometimes. I think this is a drawback from 3.6, since then I have bookmarked almost everything and that seems to have done it.
Asap170
Well Chrome is very light weight so that's why it's much lower. Mine is at 175,600k with 10 Tabs open. None with video. Now-a-days most computers have a good amount of RAM so it doesn't really matter that much.
Possum
How are the developer tools on Chrome.

Do they compare with Firefox ?

thx
Asap170
Well with firefox you can get addons like Web Developer. I am not sure with Google Chrome since I rarely use it.
Navigator
Asap170 wrote:
Well with firefox you can get addons like Web Developer. I am not sure with Google Chrome since I rarely use it.

There are tools for Chrome as well, check out this link.
Asap170
Navigator wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

There are tools for Chrome as well, check out this link.

They still aren't as good as Firefox. And that is too much work to figure out.
socials
Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed? Or have you installed to many unnecessary add ons?
Nameless
I'll second the suggestion you have too many add-ons running. I use a few and my Firefox is just barely using the half memory of yours.

I also can't help but notice Chrome listed at least five times in your processes, which unless you actually happen to have five instances of the application open strikes me as somewhat ... 'sneaky'.
SonLight
@Possum, if you are doing a lot of development with multiple tabs and addons open, it seems reasonable that the memory used would be that high. If I read your image right, it is saying that 44% of your memory is tied up -- that shouldn't be too much. If you have 2GB or more, I wouldn't expect that to slow your machine. There might be disk i/o or something else causing problems if it is running slowly.

@nameless, Chrome (or its open-source cousin, Chromium) is designed to divide the work into multiple processes for security reasons. That makes it harder to track, but is not intended to be "sneaky" -- you simply have to be more careful to add them up if you want to see total resources used. I hope someone has or will write a task manager which allows you to summarize related processes.
metalfreek
May be this will help you.

http://www.crazyblogger.info/software/tweak-firefox-for-better-performance/
alli2000
i tried every single memory management for FF 5, including any greasemonkey script.
result: NOT WORKING.
what is working, FIREMIN.
google it, it works...it brought FF memory consumption to 20k only. it works by maximizing our more than enough proc power than RAM.