FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wireless Electrity

therimalaya
Is it possible to transfer electricity with out wires like the internet. If It will be possible, it will take the world into a new dimension and era. Does any one have any idea...
menino
I believe that the technology for wireless electricity is already out.
I came across it some time back, and I think its already developed, although I'm not sure why everyone has not heard of it as yet. (Probably need wireless electricity for your Internet, eh? Laughing )

Anyways, here is a link to it http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/eric_giler_demos_wireless_electricity.html
coolclay
Transferring electricity without wires has been around for quite sometime. There are many ways, such as RF, electromagnetic fields etc. The problem is that they all have a high degree of loss, and hence are not very efficient. If you have a electric toothbrush you can see the technology right in front of you. Most of them have no wires between the toothbrush and the charger and use inductive charging to transfer power.
coolclay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer Wikipedia has a pretty good overview of it.
therimalaya
Thanks menino and coolclay, thanks for the link... they are very file to see new technology.
I was talking about replacing the current set-up of wired electricity with the wireless... that might need some more year or might be some more decades.
Dennise
[quote=I was talking about replacing the current set-up of wired electricity with the wireless... that might need some more year or might be some more decades.[/quote]

Exactly what do you mean by "the current set-up of wired electricity"?

If you mean powering homes or larger users of electricity remotely, don't hold your breath.

For practical reasons, WiTricity can work with low power devices at relatively short distances but not much more. In other words, don't sell any copper stock you may own.
celebi269
An electric company in our country is now testing a prototype on wireless electricity, and they're planning to sell electricity on the internet.
ocalhoun
celebi269 wrote:
An electric company in our country is now testing a prototype on wireless electricity, and they're planning to sell electricity on the internet.

Really?
It must be ludicrously expensive, if so, since the power loss in transmission means that a lot more power needs to be generated in order for the same amount to get to the user.
And how do they prevent people from tapping power off of it without paying for it? Anybody with the hardware to receive the power would be able to, weather they pay or not.
ecomente
therimalaya wrote:
Is it possible to transfer electricity with out wires like the internet. If It will be possible, it will take the world into a new dimension and era. Does any one have any idea...

Tesla already did it back in the days with his coils and he addmitted that this technology is not new and was present in ancient times (Egypt and even before). Tesla joinend JP Morgan and began to build this kind of machines, but then abbandoned the project because of possibility of sinister use of this technology. The funny thing is that Tesla claimed that this "free energy" is all the time around us, so you would not even need a generator and he even constructed a car that was running on this energy (search tesla car, not the new ones). There are many posts, experiments of these type, you can search in the www.overunity.com forum.
ocalhoun
ecomente wrote:

Tesla already did it back in the days with his coils and he addmitted that this technology is not new

Of course it isn't very new. It is basically an air-core transformer with a very large core.
(Which, of course, makes the transformer very inefficient.)
Quote:
and was present in ancient times (Egypt and even before).

[Citation Needed]
I would like to hear more about this pre-Egyptian use of relatively advanced electronics.
What did they power with their electricity?
How did they generate it?
More interestingly, what possessed them to try to transmit it through the air? -- And how did they ever make enough wire for the large coils needed given that their metal working was rather primitive?
Quote:
Tesla joinend JP Morgan and began to build this kind of machines, but then abbandoned the project because of possibility of sinister use of this technology. The funny thing is that Tesla claimed that this "free energy" is all the time around us, so you would not even need a generator and he even constructed a car that was running on this energy (search tesla car, not the new ones).

And you believe -- on his word alone -- that he's such a genius that he was able to invent these things... things that nobody else in the considerable time and progress afterward ever came close to? There really isn't anyone else out there smart enough to invent them independently?
Asap170
I think you could technically transfer electricity wirelessly, but there be a lot of static electricity. So unless you don't care about a bad hair day everyday then idk. I know with phone lines you can convert it to use it as electricity so maybe something with wireless... Have the card have a special attenah that receives signals that he takes and converts to charge your battery, but idk...
ocalhoun
Asap170 wrote:
I think you could technically transfer electricity wirelessly, but there be a lot of static electricity.

No, not static electricity; magnetic fields.
Fluctuating magnetic fields... which could cause a variety of problems depending on strength and frequency... but not bad hair days.
Quote:
I know with phone lines you can convert it to use it as electricity

It was designed to do that; many phones are powered solely through the phone lines.
Quote:
so maybe something with wireless... Have the card have a special attenah that receives signals that he takes and converts to charge your battery, but idk...

Yes, it works sort of like that.
You can view wireless power distribution as either an air core transformer with a very large core, or as a radio transmitter and (non-amplified) receiver.
(Though as far as I know, all the current systems use coils for 'antennas', so the transformer analogy is a little more accurate.)
Asap170
Alright if the magnetic field is at high enough power that could screw about any electronic device mostly. Also, you seem very knowledgeable in this area.
chatrack
With the development of nanotechnology, some thing similar things are possible.. don't ask how
ocalhoun
chatrack wrote:
With the development of nanotechnology, some thing similar things are possible.. don't ask how

How?
portoskt
sound nice, but i dont know anything about it
oreogami
This would be pretty cool. Now we would be able to carry our desktop computers around like laptops! Laughing
I remember watching some TV show and they talked about this guy who had that idea. It was like a gigantic van de graph generator that zapped electricty to places.
ocalhoun
oreogami wrote:
It was like a gigantic van de graph generator that zapped electricty to places.

Great idea!
... Except for the electrocution and fire hazards, of course.

...The noise and light would also probably be pretty annoying.
standready
menino wrote:
I believe that the technology for wireless electricity is already out.
I came across it some time back, and I think its already developed, although I'm not sure why everyone has not heard of it as yet. (Probably need wireless electricity for your Internet, eh? Laughing )

Anyways, here is a link to it http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/eric_giler_demos_wireless_electricity.html

Very good explanation of how it works with demonstrations. Including Tesla original thoughts.
Thanks for the menino!
upadesh
Heard somebody had done this using IR ray. But it had high loss in energy and not possible to transfer long distance.
rjraaz
Ok, more specifically it is "Microwave Power Transmission " that is used for Wireless power transmission of space based Solar Power. In which a satellite collects the solar energy, then convert that collected solar energy into a electrical energy which powers the Microwave transmitter that transmit that energy towards a collector that we called as rectenna (which is simple language a microwave antenna having a rectifier) at the earth station.

For more details if interested visit following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power
http://www.nss.org/
http://spacesolarpower.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sbsp-an-opportunity-for-strategic-security.ppt
http://www.kentlaw.edu/faculty/fbosselman/classes/Spring2004/PowerPoints/Wireless%20Power%20Transmission%20-%20Soubel.ppt

Lots of research are ongoing on this topic.
Dennise
ecomente wrote:
therimalaya wrote:

Tesla already did it back in the days with his coils and he addmitted that this technology is not new and was present in ancient times (Egypt and even before). Tesla joinend JP Morgan and began to build this kind of machines, but then abbandoned the project because of possibility of sinister use of this technology. The funny thing is that Tesla claimed that this "free energy" is all the time around us, so you would not even need a generator and he even constructed a car that was running on this energy (search tesla car, not the new ones). There are many posts, experiments of these type, you can search in the www.overunity.com forum.

Overunity.com?

I suggest before anyone visits that website, they should seriously consider taking and passing 'Physics 101' first! The clueless perpetual motion believers will never give up on their varied and laughable contraptions intended to demonstrate 'over-unity' ..... only to find they have been duped when the hidden wire or other source of external energy is revealed or recognized.
ocalhoun
rjraaz wrote:
Ok, more specifically it is "Microwave Power Transmission " that is used for Wireless power transmission of space based Solar Power. In which a satellite collects the solar energy, then convert that collected solar energy into a electrical energy which powers the Microwave transmitter that transmit that energy towards a collector that we called as rectenna (which is simple language a microwave antenna having a rectifier) at the earth station.

Seems needlessly complicated -- changing the frequency substantially is all that really accomplishes.
Wouldn't it be easier to use orbiting solar reflectors to focus more sunlight on a more traditional solar collector on the ground?

Of course, there's a chance of it getting off-target and frying some unintended section of land... but that could happen with microwave transmitters just as easily.
Dennise
Transferring any large amount of wireless electricity e.g. to power a home or business, would need multiple receptors or else the formation of an intense 'beam' of AC energy at some frequency. Consider each approach.

1. Low energy beams would mean multiple receptors pointed in different directions. This approach would be expensive, complicated and need more maintenance BUT would be safer.

2. A single high energy beam would be simpler and cheaper but would come with safety issues. People, sensitive equipment e.g. electronic devices, vehicles, aircraft etc. intercepting such beams would be subjected to unknown harm or damage.

For either approach, beam interference would also create problems and add to complexity.

High towers carrying very high voltage/low current AC electricity over wires are the simplest and cheapest way of transporting large amounts of electricity over long distances. The only viable alternative today might be the use of local power generation and distribution using copper wiring. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_generation on this approach.
splintercdo
Here
Quote:
A Stanford University research team has designed a high-efficiency charging system that uses magnetic fields to wirelessly transmit large electric currents between metal coils placed several feet apart. The long-term goal of the research is to develop an all-electric highway that wirelessly charges cars and trucks as they cruise down the road.

Click on the description of video to get more info!
ocalhoun
splintercdo wrote:
Here
Quote:
The long-term goal of the research is to develop an all-electric highway that wirelessly charges cars and trucks as they cruise down the road.

That should be technically possible... but horrendously expensive, to equip miles and miles of roads with these wireless chargers...

...Electric cars are great... but if you want them to become practical, I think the best avenue of research is in finding a battery (or other electricity storage method) that is at least as efficient as a lithium ion battery, but much cheaper to produce.
There's no reason why that should be theoretically infeasible, and if you could pull it off, electric cars would become inexpensive and practical, which means people would buy them and use them.

If you want a continuous charging method for electric cars, I would prefer solar panels... They won't always provide enough power; sometimes you'd need to plug the car in, but cars tend to spend a lot of time sitting in sunny parking lots and driveways... they could be using that time to absorb plenty of power. (at least on sunny days, that is)
Segia
It'd be quite amazing if they'd be able to develop a way to reduce the loss so that it's not significantly less efficient than wired electricity. Then again, with everybody sending electricity all the way, it would probably take ages for it to become safe.
pll
It is amazing to see what you've all found!! Though I still don't understand wired electricity so I guess I have still a lot to do.
ocalhoun
Segia wrote:
It'd be quite amazing if they'd be able to develop a way to reduce the loss so that it's not significantly less efficient than wired electricity.

Basically: no, you can't.
You could have a highly focused beam transmission, which would be more efficient than the current 'broadcast' type... but that would still be less efficient than transmitting through wires. (And transmitting it through a focused beam would force you to keep the receiver within that beam, which could limit your movement more than wires would.)
Wires are (relatively) cheap to produce, and amazingly efficient at electricity transmission*. They're hard to beat.

*So efficient that unless you have a very long wire, or very sensitive measuring equipment, it's difficult to measure any transmission loss at all in them. (Though that does depend somewhat on the frequency, and depends on the wire being adequately wide to handle the amperage used.)
Quote:
Then again, with everybody sending electricity all the way, it would probably take ages for it to become safe.

That simply depends on the amount transmitted.
Enough to run a mobile phone, or maybe a laptop would be no safety issue; enough to run much more than that though, and there would be insurmountable safety issues; it would become very dangerous to be close to the transmitter.
cr8agame
I don't think that wireless electricity is possible apart from batteries of course. Scientists are developing new technologies to transfer energy from the moon to earth. There is a scientists that is trying to put solar panels on the moon to harvest the sun power. This transfer electricity using micro-waves. However, that technology will not be comming to any household appliance anytime soon. : D
ocalhoun
cr8agame wrote:
I don't think that wireless electricity is possible apart from batteries of course.

It is possible, and has already been done in several forms.
It just isn't very efficient.
Quote:
Scientists are developing new technologies to transfer energy from the moon to earth. There is a scientists that is trying to put solar panels on the moon to harvest the sun power.

It would be better to use free-orbiting satellites as collection platforms.
-Less time spent in darkness (only when eclipsed by Earth, rather than 50% of the time on the moon -- the time spent in darkness for a satellite would depend on the altitude above earth; approaching 0% for extremely far away, and approaching 50% for extremely close to the surface.)
-Closer to Earth (less transmission loss when moving the power to Earth)
-Cheaper and easier to install, since they won't have to be launched as far into space.
Quote:
This transfer electricity using micro-waves. However, that technology will not be comming to any household appliance anytime soon. : D

Microwaves, maybe... but it could theoretically be transmitted in any wavelength.
You'd want to pick a frequency that minimizes harmful effects to things caught in the beam, maximizes capability to precisely aim, and minimizes distorting/attenuating effects of the atmosphere.

Alternatively, a cheap way would be to use orbiting mirrors to reflect the sunlight directly, then use solar collectors on the surface to then convert it to electricity.
...Of course, increasing the net amount of sunlight hitting Earth isn't going to be very good from a global warming standpoint. Maybe the mirrors could do double duty reflecting away sunlight that would have hit Earth?
johans
soon it will be come.. but the possible things now are the solar.. almost the same with wireless electricity.
TheGremlyn
All I've heard of it is that you have a mat you can set some electronics on (phones and mp3 players and other devices that can be charged) and this mat is plugged in and somehow charges the devices. I should look into this more as I only heard of this in pass in a lecture one day. I think its a neat idea but I hope it doesn't cause too many problems by interfering with devices (pacemakers and other related items), it could be very dangerous if it did. But I expect there will be a great deal of testing that goes into this and it can only improve.
RosenCruz
Wow. Never knew such thing was already out.
milkshake01
Such a concept could be dangerous as it could be used as weapons.
subhan1
If only Nikola Tesla completed his project - we would already be in that era.
He did it but no one sponsored him for his project (Wireless Energy emitting Tower)
zaxacongrejo
I’ve been trying to find something on the internet about this specify case related with my country but I didn’t find nothing, but 1 moth ago I watched at TV here about a project of students, and they were stealing about 4v from the hair, anywhere, they claim to steal power from wireless antennas/connections
kition
Wireless electricity was already developed and working by Tesler. He was the only genius since Faraday to fully understand motion on the subject of current, and put it to good use.

Wireless electricity technology has been deliberately held back by the company moguls, as installation & running costs of generators alone would reduce the price of usage. Most of what you see concerning electricity and its usage is down to Tesler, and much of what you don’t see now but will see later will be responsible to Tesler.

Imagine a world powered by AC wireless electricity! Well Tesler proved it, because he built a massive working example, but alas cheap electric bills did not bode well for the money backers of Eddison and his DC contraptions

Just spare a thought for a man who had a vision, and that vision would have spared the world so much agony & destruction of this planet.
jajarvin
A transformer is an example of wireless transmission of electricity. Transformers has been used already over 100 years.
apinchofspain
Tesla spoke about that many years ago.
Dennise
TheGremlyn wrote:
All I've heard of it is that you have a mat you can set some electronics on (phones and mp3 players and other devices that can be charged) and this mat is plugged in and somehow charges the devices. I should look into this more as I only heard of this in pass in a lecture one day. I think its a neat idea but I hope it doesn't cause too many problems by interfering with devices (pacemakers and other related items), it could be very dangerous if it did. But I expect there will be a great deal of testing that goes into this and it can only improve.

Yes, these charging 'mats' are available today and are pretty cool.

BUT - as has been noted many times in this thread - the distance between the charger and the chargee is very small (less than inch) AND the charging power actually transmitted wirelessly is quite small.

There is wireless power and there is wireless POWER. There is power wirelessly transferred over distances and there is power wirelessly transferred over DISTANCES. Considering safety, ubiquity, practicality and large area coverage; very low power transfered over long distances e.g. radio and TV signals and high power transfered over short distances e.g. utility power transformers is about all you're gonna see any time soon. Counter claims for practical wide spread ubiquitous applications are snake oil.
mustatab
I am sure in ten years or so with advancement of technology we might see wireless electricity. Some mobile devices are being recharged wirelessly as you have to just put them on some kind of flat surface. So we are reaching there....
Radar
In some ways I'm surprised that this hasn't happened yet.

Seems like a market ready and waiting.
venkat_60
wireless charging is possible but it will be dificult for us to tollerate the ray transfered while charging a device . Wink
DarkTexas
For sure, I like the Idea of it, but, I think its cool how it is at the moment Smile^^ (my opinion)
fuzzkaizer
are the guys there in texas rather the petrol and gasoline people, aren't they?
donoob88x
well today, there is a wireless charger for mobiles, etc.. but this technology need gadgets to be so close to the charging device.. i think someone could be invent longer and longer range of the charging.. it is not that impossible i think Very Happy
amagard
Quote:
We present the first power over Wi-Fi system that delivers power and works with existing Wi-Fi chipsets. Specifically, we show that a ubiquitous piece of wireless communication infrastructure, the Wi-Fi router, can provide far field wireless power without compromising the network's communication performance. Building on our design we prototype, for the first time, battery-free temperature and camera sensors that are powered using Wi-Fi chipsets with ranges of 20 and 17 feet respectively. We also demonstrate the ability to wirelessly recharge nickel-metal hydride and lithium-ion coin-cell batteries at distances of up to 28 feet. Finally, we deploy our system in six homes in a metropolitan area and show that our design can successfully deliver power via Wi-Fi in real-world network conditions.

Source: Powering the Next Billion Devices with Wi-Fi from Cornell University

Shocked Wow !
LxGoodies
More

http://gizmodo.com/these-unbelievable-cells-turn-wi-fi-signals-into-usable-1460796633
Insanity
I think currently it is using things like induction in order to charge things using the wireless charger for phones. It's pretty cool, but it's not exactly new technology because things like induction cooktops have been around for quite some time.
ibraltan1
Wireless electricity transmission is the transmission of electrical force from a force source to a devouring gadget without utilizing discrete artificial conveyors. It is a bland term that alludes to various diverse force transmission innovations that utilization time-fluctuating electromagnetic fields. Remote transmission is valuable to control electrical gadgets in situations where interconnecting wires are badly designed, unsafe, or are impractical. In remote force exchange, a transmitter gadget associated with a force source, for example, the mains power line, transmits power by electromagnetic fields over an interceding space to one or more collector gadgets, where it is changed over back to electric power and used. Remote force methods fall into two classes, non-radiative and radiative. In close field or non-radiative methods, force is exchanged over short separations by attractive fields utilizing inductive coupling between curls of wire or in a couple of gadgets by electric fields utilizing capacitive coupling between anodes. Utilizations of this sort are electric toothbrush chargers, smartcards, and chargers for implantable medicinal gadgets like manufactured heart pacemakers, and inductive fueling or charging of electric vehicles such as trains or transports. A present center is to create remote frameworks to charge versatile and handheld registering gadgets, for example, cellphones, advanced music players and compact PCs without being fastened to a divider fitting.
CHAOS-THEORY
Before i will argue with anyone about radio frequencies and wireless power transmission, have you ever thought about the effects of all these elow and ehigh frequencies?

Code:
In radiative or far-field techniques, also called power beaming, power is transmitted by beams of electromagnetic radiation, like microwaves or laser beams.[12] These techniques can transport energy longer distances but must be aimed at the receiver. Proposed applications for this type are solar power satellites, and wireless powered drone aircraft.[9] An important issue associated with all wireless power systems is limiting the exposure of people and other living things to potentially injurious electromagnetic fields (see Electromagnetic radiation and health).[9]

If you read a bit about radio waves and radio frequency, you would understand the effects on the humans and animals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
ibraltan1
Aftereffects of epidemiologic studies give no reliable or persuading proof regarding a causal connection between RF exposure and any unfavorable wellbeing impact. Then again, these studies have an excess of lacks to preclude an affiliation. A key worry over all studies is the nature of evaluation of RF introduction, including the subject of whether such presentation was available by any stretch of the imagination. Correspondence sources have expanded extraordinarily lately, and there is proceeding with change in the frequencies utilized and the assortment of uses. Regardless of the fast development of new innovations utilizing RFs, little is thought about populace presentation from these and other RF sources and even less about the relative significance of various sources. Certain studies that are as of now under way have made genuine endeavors to enhance presentation appraisal, in view of endeavors to take in more about determinants of RF exposure levels. A key component in enhancing future studies would be the utilization of a meter that screens singular introduction. Without data on what biologic component is significant, if any, it is misty what part of introduction should be caught in epidemiologic studies. In a perfect world, the dosage should be surveyed as outside field power as well as total introduction, and additionally SAR, for particular anatomical sites.
scotts96
Many of the posts here seem to miss the fact that long distance mass wireless power transfer generates large low frequency electromagnetic radiation. regulations require a large "no-go" radius around such installations for health reasons. any company installing one would also potentially open themselves to litigation (whether successful or not) from anyone who was diagnosed with cancer in the surrounding area, as EMR is classed as a suspected carcinogen. not to mention such things as pacemaker etc. interference.

This ignores the actual physics and economics of this. long story short, long distance mass wireless power transfer isn't likely to happen using induction.