FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getting Rid of DRM with iTunes?

Prodigeeman
Hey guys,

I found this out from another post; apparently you can change the audio format of certain song files from m4p to mp3 within iTunes.

I know mp4 is files with DRM attached. But when you convert, does iTunes automatically get rid of the attached DRM so you can you can use the file freely? I want to know if I will be able to import these songs from an unfamiliar m4p format to a more compatible and well known mp3 format without any setbacks.

Does anyone know?
christines
You can burn your m4p music files to cd then re-import to computer as mp3 using itunes, that's vey simple for a few songs, if you have multiple itunes files that you want to convert to mp3, you may use this way to remove drm from itunes music in batch conversion mode
gverutes
Just get winamp and use Amazon for music. ITUNES STINKS!
Josso
http://www.iskysoft.com/article/remove-drm-protection-from-itunes.html
Never tested before so good luck

In the future: Avoid using iTunes

http://boomkat.com/
http://bleep.com/

Marketplaces I usually use... far as I know it's just 320mp3 and flac no nonsense on top.
Blummer
Boring thing with this drm. I don't think it helped companies.
catscratches
^ Considering anyone who really wants to can easily remove it with freely available tools, it sure as hell isn't. It only hinders the legitimate customers. All the pirates are getting around it anyways.

Bandcamp's also great for DRM-free music.
Radar
Any music you purchase from iTunes these days can actually be converted to mp3s within iTunes.

I don't think the DRM in iTunes really hinders anyone any more.
gverutes
When you burn and then reimport the mp3s does it lose quality? Also, I've heard of friends ripping music off of the high quality stream from YouTube. Does anyone know how to do this?
Radar
Ripping and then re-importing shouldn't lose any quality, unless you're importing them in a different way. You talking about digital data crossing encodings, but there's nothing low quality about CD data.
Dialogist
gverutes wrote:
When you burn and then reimport the mp3s does it lose quality? Also, I've heard of friends ripping music off of the high quality stream from YouTube. Does anyone know how to do this?

If you're using itunes, I'm guessing you have a mac. If not, then I'm not entirely sure why you would choose to use the incessant software updating, cumbersome, commercially motivated, proprietary bundle of garbage that is iTunes. Unless of course, you're a PC operating, iGadget user, in which case, you've already been indoctrinated to the $erpent.

It's getting dark in here...

Okay, if you use a mac, open the activity window in Safari while watching the youtube stream and see the list of active files. They'll be one that's "something... MB" (as opposed to Kb). It will also be incrementing in size. That is streaming data. Alt + Click on that (for educational purposes) and it will download to your computer. Add the .flv file extension on the end and you can open that in Quicktime and export as an .mp3 (if you have the Perian toolkit installed - which you should, because again, not sure why anyone would choose to use Quicktime without that awesome free utility installed)? Because the dark overlord of Hade$ wants it that way because...

It's gotten darker in here....

Windows, I don't know, but do know that your options for downloading streaming data are infinitely more generous. RTMP for example, cannot be dumped on a mac without Mactools homebrew installed, which is garbage. Windows have many many programs dedicated to packet sniffing and stream dumping. Most are free are always more successful than their mac counterparts.

To answer the question about your friends ripping lossless quality from youtube, I'm afraid that's not believable. You can get decent quality, but never lossy. Youtube stamps all the quality out of everything you upload before it even completes the file. HD stuff is high quality, but it has been compressed on 1 single pass (often a web device stream-friendly pass). This is pretty awful and highly noticeable compression and definitely not HD. After you then convert that to another format, another 2 passes of compression come into play, and then guess what? A cake baked four times is going to taste a little burned, no?

Disclaimer: I don't advocate piracy. I do advocate the development of the knowledge of how the device that you paid your own money for operates and behaves. Everyone who has bought such a device in entitled to know it's capabilities and limits and has already paid for this luxury.
deanhills
Dialogist wrote:
Disclaimer: I don't advocate piracy. I do advocate the development of the knowledge of how the device that you paid your own money for operates and behaves. Everyone who has bought such a device in entitled to know it's capabilities and limits and has already paid for this luxury.
Good point. A few years ago I had to go through a learning curve in what "regional" means with video machines, i.e. they're inbuilt. It really irritated me. I should be able to buy a video anywhere in the world (I travel from time to time) and play it on my video player in the Middle East.
Milen17
Blummer wrote:
Boring thing with this drm. I don't think it helped companies.
Exclamation
Absolutely agree! I think, that sharing is a great advertising funnel, and drm companies have achieved only the annoyance of a customer.
Here's a great mac drm removal tutorial either:
http://drm-removal.com/features/mac_drm_removal/mac_drm_removal.htm