FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reasons you must SWITCH to LINUX

Nameless
1. Some version of Windows comes bundled with almost every computer you care to buy these days and there is no shortage of free software for Windows available. Cost isn't an issue for casual users.
2. Windows is reliable enough in my experience. Because it is so widespread, it is far easier to obtain help and solutions if any problems do occur.
3. 99% of the time, security issues are the fault of the user and not the operating system. Also, if Linux is attacked less it is only because Linux is less popular - if it became more popular there would inevitably more viruses etc. written for it.
4. Windows operating system can be hecka tweaked if you know what you are doing. If you don't really know what you are doing, attempts to fine tune are more likely to screw things up than help anyway. Arguments for any specific software are more or less irrelevant because (again) there is plenty of free software easily available for Windows to match your level of expertise.
5. Windows is currently the most popular OS, therefore the majority of software is written for Windows, therefore Windows users have the greatest number of choices easily available.
AlessandroG
The problem is that I must have the 100% compatibility with my office and I must use windows
Asap170
Just would like to add to that freedom part that it's as free as Windows. With Ubuntu 11.04 they went and made it much harder to change things. Not so open anymore. :/
Radar
Just because no one has said it yet - because it's fun? Because it's a new experience? Because it's a part of technology that you may not have explored yet?
portoskt
im not very happy with linux
Navigator
Nameless wrote:
1. Some version of Windows comes bundled with almost every computer you care to buy these days and there is no shortage of free software for Windows available. Cost isn't an issue for casual users.
2. Windows is reliable enough in my experience. Because it is so widespread, it is far easier to obtain help and solutions if any problems do occur.
3. 99% of the time, security issues are the fault of the user and not the operating system. Also, if Linux is attacked less it is only because Linux is less popular - if it became more popular there would inevitably more viruses etc. written for it.
4. Windows operating system can be hecka tweaked if you know what you are doing. If you don't really know what you are doing, attempts to fine tune are more likely to screw things up than help anyway. Arguments for any specific software are more or less irrelevant because (again) there is plenty of free software easily available for Windows to match your level of expertise.
5. Windows is currently the most popular OS, therefore the majority of software is written for Windows, therefore Windows users have the greatest number of choices easily available.

So the title of the thread is purposely misleading?
Ankhanu
The OP was a copy/paste and appears to be removed; Nameless didn't start the thread Wink
socials
I had never tested Linux. I will try it out today. What is the difference between Windows and Linux?
rjraaz
Windows is more user friendly than linux.

some times its very hard to mount any device in linux.
Ankhanu
rjraaz wrote:

How old are the distros you've been using? Modern Linux distros like Ubuntu are extremely user friendly and give no more issue mounting devices than any other mainstream OS.
haola
I think that i shoud use linux,and winxp is not really fit for me.
LostOverThere
Even with OPs post, this thread is pointless. Everyone's case will be different and you won't be able to objectively say everyone should use one operating system over another.
D'Artagnan
its just not realistinc for EVERYONE.

gaming is difficult, enterprise printing is difficult, designing is difficult.

and i do know i could use VMS, but why? linux is a great operational system, but thinking it's the proverbial answer for every problem, is whishful thinking
airh3ad
okey Is Ubuntu's/Linux OS security model stronger than Windows? guys i am windows users i never try Linux/Ubuntu but i'm planning to use it and configured Linux servers im in the middle of studying Linux commands and basic configurations.
therimalaya
Some months ago, when i switched into ubuntu, i was happy with its and its environment. It is safe from virus and also the things are easy and simple.

After a while, when i starts to work in group and friends, it just created a kind of burden feeling. When everybody around were using windows and used Microsoft office, i can not continue with ubuntu. It is though useful for fixed purpose. You can develop websites and web application. You can do programming. But you can not play high quality games...

Both of them have their own advantages and disadvantages... you can use them for different purpose and in different perspective.
darthrevan
Everyone has their reasons to switch from WIndows to Linux. Mine started because I was looking for a Operating System that was leaner and faster than Windows.
If you buy a computer, it has a lot of junk you would never use(bloatware). Some people don't even use the applications that comes loaded on a new PC, and also may not know how to uninstall the applications.

I like having more control of my computer and it is also kinda a political thing, freedom and I also hate the patent system.
I am against patents because they tend to keep other inventions competing against a company, in which the newer software might be better.

Linux for me just makes more sense for me.
inuyasha
Ha, your reasons may be a good reference~ I'm writing a composition (homework of Professional English) about operating systems and their advantages.

But actually I stick to Windows OS. Many applications does not support Linux but Windows and Mac here in China. Developers seem to look Linux as a perfectly professional OS.
attilax
i had an old computer (celeron 2.8, 256 MB RAM ...) win xp was awful slow and after reinstall computer install updates and install updates and install updates ...
i tried lot of linux distroes and i prefer linux then win ...
RosenCruz
I tried UBUNTU. 9 and 10. It was nice but I sticked back to my good old XP SP3. Could not live with UBUNTU Confused
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:
I tried UBUNTU. 9 and 10. It was nice but I sticked back to my good old XP SP3. Could not live with UBUNTU Confused

Any particular reasons why you couldn't live with linux? If i had a guess it was probably software. I remember when I first switched to linux and it was kinda odd at first. I also wanted internet explorer for a while but i got to he point where i no longer wanted it and don't trust it either.
RosenCruz
RosenCruz wrote:

I had some hardware problems mostly. Overheat, too much CPU use. Also lack of useful applications and games made me return to my XP SP3. It was a pain for me to watch .MKV, .AVI videos with subtitles on Linux. May be it was my fault. I do not know.

I still try Ubuntu with their live CD's when I have to identify some hardware or start up PC after a crash. Identify the problem and reload windows. I support Linux. I just want to stick with old windows stuff.
manfer
RosenCruz wrote:

It was a pain for me to watch .MKV, .AVI videos with subtitles on Linux. May be it was my fault. I do not know.

VLC is a cross platform media player that shouldn't have any problem to play AVIs with subtitles on linux.

And being matroska (MKV) an open source media container shouldn't be any problem to handle it on linux. The same way matroska is not bundle with windows, it is not bundle with linux so you would need to install the necessary libraries as you do on windows. Again is probable that VLC can handle matroska without installing any other software/libraries but not sure.

Lots and lots of things can be done with linux but as with anything the user has to learn how to use it.

Anyway there are some things that are not well supported on linux. For example games. So if someone wants to play games with his PC then linux is not the OS for him. But he always can have a double boot computer with both OS if he has enough hard disk space.
manfer
Nameless wrote:

How long this lie is going to continue being spreaded?

What I would say is that 99% of people that continue spreading this lie hasn't even tried any other operating system than Windows but they continue defending Windows insecurity as if they were being payed by Microsoft. It is so ridiculous. Just open your eyes.
zimmer
Navigator wrote:
Nameless wrote:

So the title of the thread is purposely misleading?

hahahah.. lol.. YES, title is should be change.. strange..
manfer
Nameless wrote:

This one is very funny too. What the hell has to do the fact that you can ask for help with reliability?

If I had something that breaks constantly would it be reliable if I had many people to ask for help on how to fix it? How absurd is that. If it breaks constantly it is unreliable period.
lovescience
I would like to have both operation system if I could. Maybe have both operation system on one machine or have each machine different operation system.

If using Linux could mean having more protection from getting virus, it would be good for having Linux on some computers that need more protection from virus.
RosenCruz
What I can complain about Windows is, it uses too much system resources on last versions. Especially Vista was a pain. On the other hand, I believe recent versions are more stable and we have less blue screens
codersfriend
what I don't like in Linux is its lack of file sharing... you will always have to use the package manager.. no copying of installers into external drive and sharing with your friends... or so to say your friends aren't even using linux so why share programs with them..
by the way here's a funny post I found

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer
RosenCruz
I guess Windows has me now. Trying different distros, but still can not give up on Windows Rolling Eyes
milkshake01
I don't really like Open Source Software because they are not as good as Paid Software. I only use these software such as GIMP if I have no choice because Photoshop is very expensive. I use Mac OS X 10.7
welshsteve
I think if you are a long term user of Windows, making the switch to Linux for the first time is difficult. A lot more tech know-how is also required to get a lot of things to work as you're used to.

However, for somebody who has never used a computer before, it would be easier to pick up, as they would have no "it's usually done in this way" in the head.

In business though it is almost essential these days that you use Windows, or Apple I would have thought, mainly due to compatibility. If it's only MS Office compatibility that is essential though, then Libre Office or OpenOffice, which tends to come pre-installed on Linux distributions, is fully compatible with Microsoft Office, allowing you to save documents in Microsoft format (inlcuding .docx, .xlsx etc).

There's no reason why a business cannot function solely on a linux based system, but the biggest drawback would be finding an IT person to employ who supports linux. There aren't many about.
zaxacongrejo
the only real reason i seee is free licences
airh3ad
I never try linux i hope i learn how to use this OS , they said linux is hard to learn.
Ankhanu
airh3ad wrote:
I never try linux i hope i learn how to use this OS , they said linux is hard to learn.

Linux with a good GUI is simple to use for casual users... But, yeah, if you want to learn to use it really well, it can be hard... But the same is true of Windows and OSX too. If ou're a "click the icon" user, Linux is simple; if you're a command line user, every OS gets more complex (and Windows is probably the weakest of the main three).
Nick2008
I've tried out various linux distros before like Ubuntu, Mint Linux, OpenSUSE, and Fedora. Although there are some nifty things you can do with linux I don't really feel like it's friendly enough for the average user. Linux seems to be particularly bad with recognizing wireless devices, I always had trouble getting WiFi set up on the various distros. There are also not as many programs for linux, and although some large companies make Linux versions of their software, they many times neglect it (take Skype for example). I usually reverted back to using Windows shortly after and now I have moved on to Mac OSX and haven't looked back.
welshsteve
Has anybody seen the new Ubuntu phone operating system for smart phones that Canonical have made? In theory it looks really good. How well it will work in practice is another thing.

http://idealab.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/ubuntu-operating-system-for-smartphones-unveiled.php
sysna
why should you switch to ubuntu ? because microsoft just has changed the way it makes money, now it is aiming for making money from market center, something that with a closed OS like windows will not be like what you have seen on android !

now what ubuntu gives you is a better experience every day and with every update it just gets better (not worse like windows) so what else reason you want to accept that now it is time to migrate ?
loveandormoney
Nameless wrote:

This all is true.
But how can I use Corel Draw.
Some other users did disuss this in this thread. Does somebody have a solution?
loveandormoney
Nameless wrote:

This all is true.
But how can I use Corel Draw.
Some other users did disuss this in this thread. Does somebody have a solution?
Arrogant
I switched to Ubuntu 13.10 from Windows 8 and I am quite satisfied..
There are enough softwares available as a programmer.
Gaming is a problem though.
Maybe someday I could play games on Linux
UltimateCoder
Reasons:
1. Safe and Secure than win
2. Free
3. Open Source, i.e. You change it to fulfill your requirements and can redistribute it.
4. Just like Windows, its also available in Graphical User Interface (GUI).
5. Can run on a Live CD/USB
Gregoric
rjraaz wrote:

To be honest, both statements above are false. I was recently forced to run system from pendrive, as my disk got corrupted. Of course, it would be a pretty difficult task to use Windows this way - if even possible. Thus, I have downloaded Linux Mint 16 and installed it onto the pendrive. I have been using the live version for two weeks and I have to admit, that: 1. Even from pendrive, it starts far faster than Windows, I think that even a clean installation of the Microsoft's system would need more time to boot;

2. System is much more user-friendly and it takes less time to configure it than Windows - only thing I have to do it to input wi-fi password and make one, small change in touchpad options. Everything else, like drivers, useful programs is already in the system.

There are indeed numerous Linux distributions, configuration of which is more problematic but at least, you can choose, not like in Windows case.
SpaceInvader75
Unfortunately my attempts to burn a Linux CD have failed so far. To be honest, I have not spent very much time on this. My next attempt will be booting from a thumb drive, since I've already wasted about 3 CDs.

I bought an old computer with Windows XP (I spent less than $20 with the monitor, mouse, and keyboard). In April, Windows XP will no longer be supported, and it will certainly not be economical for me to go out and buy another copy of Windows, since it would cost much more than my computer.

In addition, I was thinking of replacing the motherboard, since my current motherboard will only accept a single core CPU chip. I am having problems even streaming video and audio that I think are a result of having such a slow CPU. Well, if I replace my motherboard, Windows is going to recognize that I changed by hardware, and I won't be able to continue using XP.

Because I have such an old computer, I have a feeling it will run more efficiently with the correct version of Linux. I have to admit that I have not been able to prove this yet, since my attempts at running Linux on this computer have not been successful yet.

As far as security goes, I still believe that Windows OS is absolutely horrible when it comes to security. You simply cannot blame all of those problems on the user. Linux wouldn't even have to be that secure to do a better job than Windows does. I'm certainly willing to try it out just for security reasons alone.

Once I get Linux installed I plan to write a review.
zacky
milkshake01 wrote:
I don't really like Open Source Software because they are not as good as Paid Software. I only use these software such as GIMP if I have no choice because Photoshop is very expensive. I use Mac OS X 10.7

Hi milkshake01, would you mind if I ask you to classify and enumerate what are the things you do not like about Open Source compare to "Paid Software" ?

Also i'd like to note that Open Source is "free as in speech, not free as in beer."
sudipbanerjee
I know Linux have some good facilities over Windows. but I am not so familiar with Linux. So still I will be with Windows.
Bluedoll
sudipbanerjee wrote:
I know Linux have some good facilities over Windows. but I am not so familiar with Linux. So still I will be with Windows.
For a windows user we think in the terms that we do not want start all over and learn the basics so we stick with what we are used to and have come to accept. There are plus's to windows too. I think there are versions of Linux though that have come a long way?
zimmer
Nameless wrote:

these are nice list but there are applications that works only on the certain operating systems. I mean Linux is perfect and i can say also Windows.

However, what i find is windows is more expensive than the Linux but then of-course the functions almost the same also hardware matters.

Say example here in the office. Our applications was developed by windows since from the start and it has never been tried or develop with Linux so i can say we stick on windows on this applications and it would be headache if we need to start from scratch again for Linux.