FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

osteoarthritis

CuddleBunny
Does anyone you know have osteoarthritis?
How are they affected by the condition?
What were the initial signs and symptoms?
How are they being treated now?

Osteoarthritis is the breakdown of the joints causing immense pain, limited mobility and reduced quality of life.
loremar
The initial sign would be age.
LittleBlackKitten
WROOOOOONG. Loremar, you're WAY off.

Age has nothing to do with it, and anyone with sense KNOWS THIS. Osteoarthritis can strike anyone of ANY AGE, and I know this PERSONALLY because I am 25 years old, and I suffer from it, and have had it most of my life.

Early signs of any arthritic condition is joint or bone pain, sensitivity to movement, position, or use, pain and mobility increasing and decreasing with weather systems or barometric pressure, and the inability to "crack" your joints.
loremar
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

Age has nothing to do with it, and anyone with sense KNOWS THIS. Osteoarthritis can strike anyone of ANY AGE, and I know this PERSONALLY because I am 25 years old, and I suffer from it, and have had it most of my life.

Early signs of any arthritic condition is joint or bone pain, sensitivity to movement, position, or use, pain and mobility increasing and decreasing with weather systems or barometric pressure, and the inability to "crack" your joints.

Oh, I'm really sorry about that Sad . I didn't know it could happen to anyone.
But to complete the symptoms you have just mentioned, I also have to add enlargement and swelling of the bones.
Treatments would be weight loss, exercise, use of heat and cold, medications such as pain relievers and analgesics, and in severe cases surgery.
To prevent having osteoarthritis, maintain your ideal weight, exercise regularly, and avoid injuries in joints.
LittleBlackKitten I hope you're doing fine just keep strong and watch your health.
I also know how it feels to be ill especially if you can't move your body. I had several attacks with my hypokalemic periodic paralysis and it really drains and weakens my spirit of not being able to move.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

Well said LBK. I wanted to respond yesterday, but could not find the right words for it. It definitely affects people of all ages. Stiffness of joints and joint pain are usually the first symptoms, particularly of finger joints, wrists and knees. It does not catch everyone in the same way, some may have a light version and some may go into remission for a little while and then flare up again. Stress usually worsens it. One is supposed to look after one's lifestyle to keep stress down and then there are millions of suggestions of what to do, what to eat, what not to eat.
loremar
deanhills wrote:
One is supposed to look after one's lifestyle to keep stress down and then there are millions of suggestions of what to do, what to eat, what not to eat.

Yes, those who have osteoarthritis should eat plenty of sulphur containing foods, such as garlic and onion, and eggs. Sulphur is needed for the repair and rebuilding of bone, cartilage and connective tissue, and aids in the absorption of calcium.

In my case I have to eat loads of potassium. So I eat banana everyday like a monkey.Smile And stress should always be avoided, it will trigger your illness. I really don't want to go through those paralysis. It's really hard. It really bothers other people because they have to carry/assist me. That's why somehow I understand what LittlBlackKitten feels.
deanhills
loremar wrote:
deanhills wrote:
One is supposed to look after one's lifestyle to keep stress down and then there are millions of suggestions of what to do, what to eat, what not to eat.

Yes, those who have osteoarthritis should eat plenty of sulphur containing foods, such as garlic and onion, and eggs. Sulphur is needed for the repair and rebuilding of bone, cartilage and connective tissue, and aids in the absorption of calcium.

In my case I have to eat loads of potassium. So I eat banana everyday like a monkey.Smile And stress should always be avoided, it will trigger your illness. I really don't want to go through those paralysis. It's really hard. It really bothers other people because they have to carry/assist me. That's why somehow I understand what LittlBlackKitten feels.
Definitely not eggs. Eggs are acid forming. Plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits in moderation.

When I had a mystery period of joint pain a few years back, and thought it could have been arthritis, I had done a lot of research and came upon a programme of Paula Sharp's, who had cured herself of arthritis by following Edgar Cayce readings. She gives a very detailed account of her personal treatment:
http://www.are-northeast.org/pages/arthritis1.html#diet
LittleBlackKitten
Yes, should eat TONS of sulfur and no eggs, if of course one does not have 3 stomach ulcers, and cannot consume much acid or strong foods if at ALL...