FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Indigo Children" just a book selling ploy?

watersoul
A friend of mine has read a couple of books on so-called Indigo Children and has become obsessed with this belief that there is some kind of accelerated evolution thing going on with kids since the last couple of decades.
The books appear to me as pseudo-science written by perhaps well meaning believers, but as far as I can tell, they are based on nothing which could be considered scientific research.
This is a quote from the authors website:
indigochild.com wrote:
They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it)
They have a feeling of "deserving to be here," and are surprised when others don't share that.
Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents "who they are."
They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).
They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.
They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and don't require creative thought.
They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like "system busters" (nonconforming to any system).
They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.
They will not respond to "guilt" discipline ("Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did").
They are not shy in letting you know what they need.

All of it seems very vague and could be applied to almost any child at some point. I even recognised many traits in myself from my own childhood, but does that make me an "indigo" adult?

Personally, I think it's just another example of unproven new-age mysticism inspired by the big bucks of the book deals.
I am (as always) interested in anyone elses views or experiences in the matter though, and if there is some reliable research in existence which I'm unaware of, please feel free to educate me.
I did a little bit of searching but I must confess, as soon as I started seeing the Indigo concept being linked with practitioners of "channelling" and "healing", I kind of walked away assuming it's just more silly nonsense to extract money from emotionally vulnerable people.
loremar
Quote:

Indigo/purple/violet usually symbolizes Royalty. But it says that the word Indigo has something to do with synesthesia. This looks pretty much suspicious to me.
watersoul
Suspicious for sure, check this ABC news segment out, where a family present themselves as 'special' indigo types:

I feel sorry for those kids being exposed on TV as having special gifts, psychic powers etc, because it all seems a bit like parental brainwashing to me.
It will be a sad blow in later years when they more than likely realise they're just the same as everyone else.
Bikerman
LOL...OK folks, let's take a rational look at this.
a) Children are not human in the adult sense of the word. They are becoming persons, but still have an alien logic and a way of looking at the world that no adult can fully understand. This is nothing new and has been so since, presumably, the species evolved. Anyone who spends time observing young children quickly realises that many of the 'characteristics' cited by the website are universal. They applied to me as a child and I have no indigo aura (there again, neither does anybody else).

b) The author of this fantasy - Neale Donald Walch.
He is a liar, plain and simple. He was caught red-handed - he posted a long entry on his blog '"Upside down, or right side up?" in which he described a miracle happening during a performance of a school play by his son. The whole thing was copied from a magazine article by a woman called Candy Chand, nearly ten years before. Someone who is so ready to lie publicly has not earned the right to ask anyone to take his stories seriously.

c) Everyone has the feeling that they are different and unique. Films like 'Groundhog day' and, particularly, 'The Truman Show' play to this feeling. How many people out there have, at some time, really started to think that the whole world is a movie and they are the only 'real' person in it? I have, and I'm betting that this is pretty common.

In short, this is just another example of new-age woo-woo
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:
In short, this is just another example of new-age woo-woo

Lol, that's pretty much what I think about it.
It never fails to surprise me that so many people buy into unproven ideas such as this though, the authors must have made a fortune peddling their vague opinions on the different attributes of children and declaring who is 'Indigo' or not.

Forer effect anyone? Rolling Eyes

I also thought this qoute from the authors was quite interesting, taken from a link on their site:
Quote:
Additionally, we assumed that even if there were great changes going on with the kids, professionals and researchers would communicate about this within their industry - that the "pros" would also be observing this event. Years ago we expected to see reports and articles on "attributes of the new kids" in elementary educational and day-care periodicals. It didn't happen - at least not on a scale that would draw much attention, and not in a way for parents to be helped or informed.

Because it didn't happen, we were reinforced in our original notion that our own observations were probably not as wide spread as we had thought, and again, children are not our focus. It took several years for us to change our minds and decide that someone had to at least assemble the information and report it, no matter how strange it seemed. It was there!

As you can see, a number of factors brought about this book, which you should know about before you blindly take our word for something that is going to fall into the category of "happening all around us - but unexplainable."

...is this a disclaimer or an admission that they have no evidence to back their wild claims up?
loremar
The kids look normal to me. Angelina and the boy are not even convinced about their abilities. It's the parents that I am really worried about. Sure, there's a lot of people who think that they have psychic abilities because of some strange experiences, I even have a few of mine but I don't make a big deal out of it (could be just some strange coincidence like for example Bluedoll and I having the same birthday?). But making a big deal out of it because someone wrote a book about special kids with blue aura and becoming obsessed about it, that is really something. It's okay if you keep your thoughts about psychic powers to yourself. But to say that this is a new human advancement and set yourself apart from the society as special human beings, that worries me because they might have a strong emotional attachment to it and their reactions in the real world could be different from the norms. Whoever is the author of that book and convincing people of this insanity is a psycho, taking advantage, making money by fooling other people.
Navigator
watersoul wrote:

indigochild.com wrote:
Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents "who they are."
They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).
They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.
They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.
They are not shy in letting you know what they need.

Looks like a tyrant child to me. There are books that deal with this issue, it usually has to do with problems of self steem and limits with the parents, check out these books

http://www.amazon.com/Sheeps-Clothing-Understanding-Dealing-Manipulative/dp/096516960X
http://www.amazon.com/Narcissistic-Family-Diagnosis-Treatment/dp/0787908703/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312215209&sr=1-1
watersoul
loremar wrote:
But to say that this is a new human advancement and set yourself apart from the society as special human beings, that worries me because they might have a strong emotional attachment to it and their reactions in the real world could be different from the norms.
I share similar concerns about that.

Navigator wrote:
Looks like a tyrant child to me. There are books that deal with this issue, it usually has to do with problems of self steem and limits with the parents
It certainly isn't the kids creation is it, the Indigo ideas are clearly learned from the parents who have bought into this book and its cult following.