FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strange air crash - Caribbean Airlines Flight 523

deanhills
This is a pretty amazing story. Caribbean Airlines Flight 523 from New York had a safe landing in Georgetown, Guyana. Passengers were clapping hands the one moment and then the next moment the plane crashed and broke into half. This happened 11 hours ago so not sure what the reason for it was, but this probably says one should never count your chickens until they have hatched.

There had been 163 people on board of the plane and 30 were injured. I thought this passenger had a really interesting story to tell:
Quote:
Geeta Ramsingh, 41, of Philadelphia, recalled how applause at the arrival quickly "turned to screams."

"The plane sped up as if attempting to take off again. It is then that I smelled gas in the cabin and people started to shout and holler," she said.

When the plane crumpled to a stop, Ramsingh said she hopped onto the wing and then onto the dirt road outside the runway fence.

"A fellow who was trying to escape as well mistakenly jumped on my back and that is why my knees are bruised," she said. "So I am in pain, but very thankful to be alive."

Nobody had yet showed up to rescue her, "but a taxi driver appeared from nowhere and charged me $20 to take me to the terminal. I had to pay, but in times of emergencies, you don't charge people for a ride," she said, sitting on a chair in the arrival area surrounded by relatives. She was returning to her native country for only the second time in 30 years.

Source: Associated Press
coolclay
Wow that's a story alright. Sounds like a mechanical issue of some sort, well unless the pilot accidently pushed the throttle or something stupid! I'd like to hear the analysis on this one!
coolclay
According to some other news reports they believe the pilot overshot the runaway, and because it was raining wasn't able to stop soon enough before crashing into the fence and falling in a gully. Official investigations are still underway though.
loremar
One minute, the passengers are applauding to the splendor of birds flying synchronously along with the plane. The next minute one of the birds was sucked into the engine. The passengers are not crying for the life of the bird but they are crying for their lives.
menino
I had heard and seen the pictures of this one in the papers 2 days ago.
I'm glad that no one died in it, and there were just a few injuries.
But its still scary to know that the fuselage can break, as shown in the picture, but that is probably because of the overshot manuever by the pilot, which probably caused it.
I'm just afraid that if these planes are old and weak, will it withstand future flights, with all the wear and tear?

As one guy quoted in the site " "It's not so much the flying I'm afraid of, it's the crashing I'm not too fond of!" Razz

source for quote and image: http://news.yahoo.com/cheers-screams-jet-ny-crashes-guyana-185128270.html
ocalhoun
menino wrote:

But its still scary to know that the fuselage can break, as shown in the picture, but that is probably because of the overshot manuever by the pilot, which probably caused it.
I'm just afraid that if these planes are old and weak, will it withstand future flights, with all the wear and tear?

The plane was probably never designed to withstand stresses like that to begin with.
To fly efficiently, they must be very light, and excessive airframe strength is heavy.