FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ramadan Kareem!

deanhills
Wishing all our Muslim Frihosters who are starting their fast tomorrow joy, peace and prosperity for the season.

ProfessorY91
Thank you very much! 2nd day of fasting (sunrise to sunset). The days are long, much longer than a Ramadan in Winter - it can be grueling, particularly if you forget to eat/drink before sunrise. Ramadan Kareem to all!
wellerchap
I work with a muslim guy...he's doing the fasting & says the same....he's diabetic though and it surprises me that he carries on the fast, even though it is possibly not too good for his system.
Belief & faith, I guess.
ProfessorY91
Quote:
he's diabetic though and it surprises me that he carries on the fast, even though it is possibly not too good for his system.

It's definitely not good for his system. However, in his defense, my 60+ year old father is also diabetic and makes the choice to fast. It helps him keep his weight down, and the benefits outweigh the risks for him. He says that he keeps an extremely close eye on his bloodsugar levels throughout the day, and breaks his fast at the slightest hint that something is awry.

Although I am by no means an Islamic scholar, I can verify that there are very clear prohibitions against fasting for the ill or infirm - and they definitely apply to this and other medical conditions.

I wish your friend the best of luck.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Although I am by no means an Islamic scholar, I can verify that there are very clear prohibitions against fasting for the ill or infirm - and they definitely apply to this and other medical conditions.
Totally agreed. A friend of mine's son developed some food poisoning and he was immediately taken off the fast. I know of people who have diabetes who may also take their medication anyway.

Since I'm surrounded by people who fast, I decided to join them but in a different way. I don't do a water fast during the day time. But I completely omit coffee, tea, and heavy foods and have water only during the day. I live mostly on fresh fruits and vegetables as a different version of a fast. The first few days were quite arduous and so I went through almost similar withdrawal as the Muslims. But I'm beginning to feel really good. One month fast a year I'm certain must have health benefits.
kirii
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Thank you very much! 2nd day of fasting (sunrise to sunset). The days are long, much longer than a Ramadan in Winter - it can be grueling, particularly if you forget to eat/drink before sunrise. Ramadan Kareem to all!

not really,they follow the time
paul_indo
"not really,they follow the time"

Sorry, that's not true.

The fast is from the first prayer just before sunrise untill Magrib prayer which starts as the last light disappears at sunset so the time varies in different locations.
Hello_World
Ah yeah, a few years ago it was right in the middle of a heat wave, 40 degrees C every day (for at least a week), most of the children drank water through it.
paul_indo
Hello World.

That would be acceptable as young children, the sick, very old people and some other situations exempt people from fasting.

If a person feels unable or unweel they may also break their fast.
menino
Ramadan Kareem also to all the Muslims who are fasting.

I was just wondering and this was asked by a colleague of mine to another Muslim, that if people living ont he mountains or high places, or places like Paris where the sun sets at 9:30pm even, does that mean they have to fast for about 14 - 16 hours?
Or can they break it as per neighboring Muslim countries???

It just got my curiosity.

If you have experienced this, would like to know about it.
shivaghimire
Do fast, continue your tradition but take care of your health.
ProfessorY91
kirii wrote:
ProfessorY91 wrote:

not really,they follow the time

Yeah, you sound legitimate. </sarcasm>.

menino wrote:
I was just wondering and this was asked by a colleague of mine to another Muslim, that if people living ont he mountains or high places, or places like Paris where the sun sets at 9:30pm even, does that mean they have to fast for about 14 - 16 hours?
Or can they break it as per neighboring Muslim countries???

As far as I know (going by the Hanafi and Shafii Madhabs) it is not permissible to break your fast along with other countries or towns located in a different geographical location. So yes, some people do have it harder - fasting for 14-16 hours a day is not uncommon for people living in certain locations. Your question strikes me as a bit unassuming, however: Neighboring countries are more likely to have very similar sunset times, as they are geographically close to each other. If you were referencing larger countries that span multiple timezones, the answer is quite simple: You follow the time of sunrise and sunset in your immediate location.
paul_indo
ProfessorY91

Correct, you must fast according to where you are.

As far as forgetting to eat before sunrise though, I believe it makes the fast easier.

My wife always follows the fast and I suggested a couple of years ago that to eat a snak at sunset, a normal meal an hour or two later and to forget the 11pm and the 2:30am meals would be a good idea.
After much opposition she tried it and found the fast musch easier.

I believe there are two reasons for this.

1 if you eat less your stomach adjusts and you get less hungry during the day, most Indonesians eat more than usual during Ramadahn and actually put on weight.

2 if you get a good nights sleep you will feel mush better than if you stay up to eat at 11pm then 3 or 4 hours later get up to eat again then you must do the prayer before sunrise so you will be pretty much a zombie all day.