FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

superheroes and vigilantes?

codersfriend
What is the difference between superheroes and vigilantes?
Superman is a superhero as the punisher was considered a vigilante..
If a hero lacks power, does he/she fall under the vigilante category?
loremar
I actually find it in reverse. A hero who lacks power is less vigilante than a superhero.
Why? Because he can simply turn his vigilantism into self-defense if the criminal approaches him first.
While a superhero the size of superman needs no self-defense. In fact a punch from Superman can render a criminal dead. But still the two is still considered vigilante.
The question is would you dare to declare Superman(who has super bionic ears) as a "vigilante"?
I wouldn't dare.
codersfriend
I remember a movie and some episodes of batman being called vigilante Very Happy

and Superman is here in earth without a travel visa .. haha just kidding Very Happy
Radar
I would think there's a lot of overlap. A vigilante, if I'm understanding correctly, is a citizen deciding that they have to fix criminal activity, because the existing societal structures won't.

...perhaps Superman would fall outside that definition, as he's an alien. Then again, never having read any Superman, he's almost certainly an American citizen, isn't he?
codersfriend
Radar wrote:
I would think there's a lot of overlap. A vigilante, if I'm understanding correctly, is a citizen deciding that they have to fix criminal activity, because the existing societal structures won't.

...perhaps Superman would fall outside that definition, as he's an alien. Then again, never having read any Superman, he's almost certainly an American citizen, isn't he?

Yeah well I guess Gotham police has a problem in catching crazy criminals.
As for superman, that reminds me of a flash movie