FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Me, on the road, again?

standready
OK, so I agree to act as a vocalist for friend of mine back on July 20th. This show went very well. My voice held up and the show crowd (to my surprise) accepted this 'unknown' person singing most of the songs.
Now, he, his bassist and drummer keep nudging me to do more shows. I don't think my old voice will hold out for what would be an almost every night run through at least mid-September without a break (I can understand why he wants the change). I would rather just play keyboards and do some backing vocals for some band than be out front, singing.
Still, I keep getting nudged!
Ankhanu
That's a pretty nice situation to be in Wink

Glad your gigs went well. You should do more!
standready
Thanks Ankhanu.
Enough nudging already! Looks like I will doing a seven day 'test' tour starting July 30th to see if my voice can hold out and measure crowd reaction to a throwback to earlier days of there being a vocalist. Geez, six states in seven days and I semi-forgot about life on a bus. Still working through all the legal garbage.
That first show could be the killer since it is outdoors. Possible heat and allergies could finish me before I even start.
standready
Ok, all the legals taken care of. Got permission from the label to perform a few of my own tunes during the tour! First show tonight - outdoors! Near 90 degrees F and humid - not good.
Got an email from Jonathan Cain (Journey) telling me there was a ticket at 'will call' for me for their concert tonight. Told him why I could not attend. He replied "Wish I could be there, Best of luck!"
watersoul
Only just seen this topic, wow Standready, I'm impressed!
What a brilliant adventure on the road with the band, excellent stuff. Hope the tour goes well, post some pics and tales of wild nights with groupies or whatever else goes down on a tour!
Have a wild one and enjoy it fella! Razz
rocking
Thats cool man.
What is the name of the band?
deanhills
standready wrote:
Ok, all the legals taken care of. Got permission from the label to perform a few of my own tunes during the tour! First show tonight - outdoors! Near 90 degrees F and humid - not good.
Got an email from Jonathan Cain (Journey) telling me there was a ticket at 'will call' for me for their concert tonight. Told him why I could not attend. He replied "Wish I could be there, Best of luck!"
Just noticed this post now. This is REALLY cool. E-mails from Journey too. Great stuff! I guess very soon your neighbours won't be a problem any longer! Hopefully you'll still have time to post now and then and keep us posted?
Very Happy
standready
First, thanks everyone. I am just hoping the voice holds outs

@deanshills: I have use of a laptop while out so I will make this post a 'dairy' of the tour.

@rocking: Can't say, part of our working agreement during this 'test' tour. Long time rocker! If this becomes semi-permanent, I will be announced formally.

watersoul wrote:
post some pics and tales of wild nights with groupies or whatever else goes down on a tour!

That is funny! I remember those days. These guys are older and married plus playing in a different city sometimes state the next night not much time. They do greet everyone they can as they head for the bus. I don't because I transform so much off stage and carry guitars so I looked like a roadie. laugh!

Last night (Illinois) was outdoors hot and humid. I did not do well. Did not do as many of the songs I was suppose too. Audience did seem to accept this 'unknown' vocalist well but were very happy when he sang.
We took a flight after the show to the next stop - New Jersey. I am hoping tonight goes better for me.
deanhills
standready wrote:
We took a flight after the show to the next stop - New Jersey. I am hoping tonight goes better for me.
Good luck .... very close to the Big Apple, certainly sounds like a whirlwind trip. Hope your voice holds out well. Do you have any energy for socializing at the end of the evening, or do you need to rest up to keep the voice going?

I did a quick search (maybe you have done so already) and found the following Natural Vocal Remedies article by a singer, both physical "humming" exercises and some natural remedies like papaya and bromelain enzyme tablets and licorice tea. The bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory and reduces swelling of the vocal folds. I used successfully for diving when I had difficulty with equalizing.

Here is a link about vocal warm-ups and cool-downs, although I guess you're doing that anyway:
http://www.gbmc.org/home_voicecenter.cfm?id=1559
standready
deanhills wrote:
Do you have any energy for socializing at the end of the evening, or do you need to rest up to keep the voice going?

Really not much time for socializing so far. I did get a critique from the band on the flight. Actually, more like encouragement since I only was able to do 90 percent of my 'planned' songs. Working on adjusting set list so I can have little breaks.

Thanks for the link, dean. Yes, I do that. My voice remedy is hot tea with honey which I had on the flight. On stage, I drink cool water, NOT COLD! Last night, due to the heat, was water with a little sports drink added to keep hydrated. No more outdoor stages during this 'test' tour!
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Do you have any energy for socializing at the end of the evening, or do you need to rest up to keep the voice going?

Really not much time for socializing so far. I did get a critique from the band on the flight. Actually, more like encouragement since I only was able to do 90 percent of my 'planned' songs. Working on adjusting set list so I can have little breaks.

Thanks for the link, dean. Yes, I do that. My voice remedy is hot tea with honey which I had on the flight. On stage, I drink cool water, NOT COLD! Last night, due to the heat, was water with a little sports drink added to keep hydrated. No more outdoor stages during this 'test' tour!
Great stuff Standready. Sounds as though you are as prepared as you can be. Break a leg! *grin* Never thought I'd ever have the opportunity to wish someone break a leg!
standready
Day off yesterday. Some bonehead (me) forgot there are 31 days in July, Doh! Flight sure beat a long bus ride! I did not want to venture out in the heat so I spend the day going over some lyrics on my MP3 player and relearning some guitar licks. Had a practice session for a couple of added songs in the late afternoon.
Gave my voice a light work out this morning. So much better not being in the heat.
Just finished sound check which turned into 6 song rehersal for my benefit. A little under 4 hours to show time, I think. Time to have a meal and relax!

@dean: Thanks! My voice is not really prepared for multiple nights in a row. This is going to be a 'trip'.
Asap170
I would keep doing more. Also, it really depends on the style of music you guys do because that will tell you about your voice. If your doing Heavy Metal and screaming and that then your gonna lose your voice faster then if you were doing like Country.
kristen_marie
keep doing shows:D that's my advice to you(:
standready
I like the tour bus but glad we did not take the trip from IL to NJ on it (18+ hours). This is style compared to my old box truck! Good morning Pennsylvania!
Show went well last night and my voice did very well. Audience was fantastic! At first, the audience did not know what to think. They paid to see the 'madman' guitarist. So I am not the 'front' man just someone handling vocals and that is a relief. I will borrow a line: "They liked me! They really, really liked me!" laugh How do I know this? 'Madman' would point to me after a song and audience got even louder.

kristen_marie wrote:
keep doing shows:D that's my advice to you(:

Well, I am under contract through 8/6 with option to continue after that as long as voice holds and audience accepts the change up.

Asap170 wrote:
it really depends on the style of music you guys do

It is Rock/Hard Rock. Some screaming required!!! laugh These guys have been doing this for many, many years. It has been a long time since I was a vocalist.
gverutes
My friend built a green tour bus. Runs on bio fuel, but has the luxuries of regular bus.
standready
Just finished a quick sound check. Voice good.
Funny story about last night: I mentioned earlier I transform my appearance off stage. Here is a 'behind the stage area' shot of me. Thanks Donna!

To this add jeans and boots. Cool rocker look, don't you think? Anyway, I head out to the bus ahead of the others wearing cutoffs, tank top and sneakers with no hat or glasses carrying a duffle bag and guitar case. None of the small group standing at the fence cared.
Someonene yelled to them as they walked out "Where is the singer?" 'Madman' replied "Already on the bus!" See, I am still faceless, laugh! I threw on a jacket, the hat and my glasses and slid a window open. Popped my head out and flashed a peace sign as the bus rolled out.

gverutes wrote:
My friend built a green tour bus. Runs on bio fuel, but has the luxuries of regular bus.
You made me look. I do see a bio-diesel label. Not surprising, since the 'madman' is green!
deanhills
Hehe ..... looks a bit like the spy who came out from the cold! Wonderful that you had a really good run as that must be a great relief. Do you have a stage name yet, or are you called "The Singer"?
Very Happy
tingkagol
rocking wrote:
What is the name of the band?

I have the same question.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Wonderful that you had a really good run as that must be a great relief. Do you have a stage name yet

Stage name: 'Mad Cat' as if anyone in the audience as they are not there to see me. Yes, dean, that audience did make me fell so good however last night was another stop in PA and my voice was good but some in the audience were not kind to me. 'madman' had to remind them that there has been various vocalist in the past. We broke into one of the signature songs and the crowd got better. I am glad to be out of there!
I got an encouragement talk on the bus as they saw it shook me. That still has not help me get any sleep.
Tonight will be better. Tonight will be better!
This theather tonight has a runway! After sound check, 'madman' went over when I am to make use of it. This could get interesting! Too hyped now to sleep.

@tingkagol: Can't say, part of our working agreement during this 'test' tour. Long time rocker! If this becomes semi-permanent, I will be announced formally. Right now, they are studying audience reaction to this unexpected throwback. Last night was sort of a strike.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Stage name: 'Mad Cat'
Sounds great.

Hope tonight is a good one. Cool
standready
Hello Ohio! Last night was all good. Past night all but forgotten. Everybody along the 'runway' were wanting to 'high-five'. Did my best to greet them.
Throat a little sore this morning. Gargled with warm salted water. Felt better.
Got an email from Jonathan asking how I was doing. Told him about the past night. He replied "Don't let a few %#*$ spoil the moment." I needed that!
tingkagol
So, you seem to know some of the members of Journey. Now I'm really curious what band you are fronting in.

Since you refuse to tell us the name, can I ask if the band was enormous back in the day?
standready
tingkagol wrote:
Since you refuse to tell us the name, can I ask if the band was enormous back in the day?

First, I am not refusing, my contract says I can't until they do. Second, yes.

Hello Michigan! Last night kicked ___! Got my first 'exposure' of the tour i.e. gal lifted her top! They were HUGE! Almost made me speechless which is not what a singer should ever be!
Awoke this "morning" (1:30pm) to another sore throat, worst than yesterday. Still a tickle during sound check.
wombatrpgs
Wow, that's... quite the feat! And you were just contacted by a friend out of the blue for this?

I hope everything goes well so you can talk freely after picking up the contract extension.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Hello Michigan! Last night kicked ___! Got my first 'exposure' of the tour i.e. gal lifted her top! They were HUGE! Almost made me speechless which is not what a singer should ever be!
Shocked Hilarious! Haven't laughed like this for a while. Laughing
Fantastic that you're on course again with plenty of support around you. Including the ladies. Laughing
standready
wombatrpgs wrote:
Wow, that's... quite the feat! And you were just contacted by a friend out of the blue for this?
I hope everything goes well so you can talk freely after picking up the contract extension.

Thanks. This was not out of the blue. I have joined them for few songs many times over the years. We just decided to try a more permanent approach. However...

Hello Indiana. I'm back! Last night was OK. Audience enjoyed it and that is what matters. I pushed through it. I am exhausted and my throat was really raw this morning!
Worked on treating the throat throughout this day. During sound check was still a bit raspy. Hey, I got a jazz voice! Going to catch a nap before the show.

deanhills wrote:
Shocked Hilarious! Haven't laughed like this for a while. Laughing
Fantastic that you're on course again with plenty of support around you. Including the ladies. Laughing

Nobody was shocked more than I, dean!
standready
Decided on the bus after the show last night that I could not continue beyond this (my contract) point. Throat sore 'during' last night's show. Audience was great. Passed a couple songs off to the 'madman'. Six nights in a row, 2 plus hours each night with no real breaks and a lot of travel, has done me in! I see why they want a vocalist.
'madman' appreciated the break for his vocal cords telling me that the voice is an instrument. However, you can't go to the local music shop and purchase an immediate replacement. I think I could work my way up to this every night type tour by maybe doing short stints - 3 nights 2 off - building up my vocal chords. It was a quite a trip and I enjoyed it so much. I will be joining them again in September for a few shows.
Anyway the bus took a slight detour on it's way to Minnesota to drop me off a couple of blocks from my house. Was not about to have that bus in my neighborhood at 3am. It did feel good to be in my own bed again - sleep!
deanhills
standready wrote:
Decided on the bus after the show last night that I could not continue beyond this (my contract) point. Throat sore 'during' last night's show. Audience was great. Passed a couple songs off to the 'madman'. Six nights in a row, 2 plus hours each night with no real breaks and a lot of travel, has done me in! I see why they want a vocalist.
'madman' appreciated the break for his vocal cords telling me that the voice is an instrument. However, you can't go to the local music shop and purchase an immediate replacement. I think I could work my way up to this every night type tour by maybe doing short stints - 3 nights 2 off - building up my vocal chords. It was a quite a trip and I enjoyed it so much. I will be joining them again in September for a few shows.
Anyway the bus took a slight detour on it's way to Minnesota to drop me off a couple of blocks from my house. Was not about to have that bus in my neighborhood at 3am. It did feel good to be in my own bed again - sleep!
Wow! Well done. Must feel great to be at home again. A real break with a difference. Was the pay good at all? Or did you do this in a voluntary capacity?
Very Happy
standready
deanhills wrote:
Wow! Well done. Must feel great to be at home again. A real break with a difference. Was the pay good at all? Or did you do this in a voluntary capacity?
Very Happy

Thanks, dean. For some reason, "There's no place like home". Did not sleep well on the road between the bus and hotels. Vocal chords still sore. I spent a lot of time today drinking hot tea with honey and using a vaporizer to breathe warm, moist air. So chords are getting better.
Yes, time was well paid but I am questioning some personal feelings on full time but more on that tomorrow as I am still sleepy and perplexed.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Yes, time was well paid but I am questioning some personal feelings on full time but more on that tomorrow as I am still sleepy and perplexed.
Can imagine this must have taken you completely out of your comfort zone. Decision time. I hate those times! I think I'm beginning to get an understanding why performance artists tend to go on drugs. Has to be too much to take in for someone who is sober.
Twisted Evil
standready
deanhills wrote:
drugs

So that is what I did wrong! just kidding all.
Finally, throat is better so able to drink a beer and contemplate the tour! I can't drink alcohol when I sing so not a drop on the road. Still using vaporizer and listening to new 'unreleased' Sammy Haggar while thinking. Invitation to his Birthday Bash and a bottle of Cabo Wabo Tequila came with CD! laugh
The tour was a grind for this old man - bus (sleep?), eat, hotel (sleep), practice, sound check, eat, show, repeat. They have not released 'new' material in a long time. Do I want to do old stuff all the time? Not really! I have been working on new material that won't fit this group.
Pay was nice to have but I began to feel like I was in a 'cover' band towards the end. As I said at the beginning of this post, I would perfer to just play keyboards and do some backing vocals.
Thinking maybe to continue working with them to establish some new creds then give solo a try. Again though, too darn old to start this game again?
Oh well, sleep on it! Thanks for reading.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Oh well, sleep on it! Thanks for reading.
Maybe it is as simple as that they are not a right fit for you. Does it really have to be as heavy duty as all those bus tours and doing a number of nights in succession? Would be nice if you could find a place where you can offer your own terms? Two nights a week maybe? For fun mostly. A regular place maybe where you get to know a select group of people as your audience instead of masses of people and they like to go there to listen to you. This road tour thing seems to be a guaranteed set up for a major burn out even before one has started. At least the tour proved you have talent. It would be great if you could share it but on your own terms as an independent will probably be better for you.
standready
WoW dean! Let me see:
deanhills wrote:
Maybe it is as simple as that they are not a right fit for you.
I agree! I want 'new' material along with old.

deanhills wrote:
Does it really have to be as heavy duty as all those bus tours and doing a number of nights in succession?....This road tour thing seems to be a guaranteed set up for a major burn out even before one has started.
That is how they or their management set the tour which started in May! I guess when you have been on the road for 40+ years, it is what it is. 'madman' is in his early sixties and still going strong but I can see why they want a vocalist. If my choice, as a vocalist, it would have to be three/four days then of one day rest. If I were just playing keyboards for someone then non-stop would be fine.

deanhills wrote:
Would be nice if you could find a place where you can offer your own terms? Two nights a week maybe? For fun mostly. A regular place maybe where you get to know a select group of people as your audience instead of masses of people and they like to go there to listen to you
Agree but that would most likely working in a pub not small/medium concert halls. Which I did a lot of many years ago. In addition, pub pay is general not even enough to cover expenses unless close to home. Like most, I have bills to pay.

deanhills wrote:
It would be great if you could share it but on your own terms as an independent will probably be better for you.
If you are talking about working with these guys again, I think we will be doing 'short' runs (3 or 4 shows at a time) occasionally starting in September.
tingkagol
Is ___ by any chance "madman"?

I'm sorry, but your posts have really piqued my interest... Smile
standready
Yes Shhh

I got a call early today to fill in for a friend tonight. He does piano music in a local restaurant every Friday evening. I do this for him occasionally. Will be great not to sing. Just play the old standards, some jazz and maybe a few of my own works.
tingkagol
That's awesome. Way to go, man. I'm not much of a fan, but that's really cool.

Anyway, I've edited my last post in case you're still not comfortable about revealing your little secret. Smile
standready
tingkagol wrote:
That's awesome. Way to go, man. I'm not much of a fan, but that's really cool.

Anyway, I've edited my last post in case you're still not comfortable about revealing your little secret. Smile

Thanks! Not that uncomfortable but contract says I can't say but I did not - laugh.

Last night was simply playing piano. A beautiful baby grand no less! Had the candelabra and the brandy sniffer tip container. I played authentic version this Erroll Garner's Misty (read description under video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b0DCEBLcU
When I finished, an older gentleman got up from his dinner, came up to me, said "thank you" and slipped a twenty dollar bill into the tip container!
When I took my break, I went over to the couple's table and tried to give him back the $20 saying "that was kind but way too much". They would not accept and asked me to join them. After our pleasant chat and story, I had a tear in my eye. I started the next set with Erroll Garner's version of 'Clair De Lune' & Erroll's Theme for them.[/youtube]
tingkagol
Aaaaaahh... the jazz piano. You must be a pretty skillful piano player if you can play it like that. If there was an accompanying upright bass and brush drumming, it would be perfect.

Anyway, do you by any chance listen to modern-classical pianists like Ludovico Einaudi?

Pieces like these give me a high:

standready
That is a cool piece.
I had no accompaniment. I can in certain songs add a baseline by what we call striding. That is 'striding' up a few octaves and playing the primary note of the chord then 'striding' back down and playing the full chord. Add a richness but can be some mean target practice. laugh
Sometimes I play a song early in the evening very simply then later on play the same song again adding enrichment techniques such as striding along with others to the song. Makes a difference.
tingkagol
Looked up striding on the net. I think it's the other way around... i.e. primary note is played a few octaves down and the full chord a few octaves up? Smile
standready
tingkagol wrote:
Looked up striding on the net. I think it's the other way around... i.e. primary note is played a few octaves down and the full chord a few octaves up? Smile

You are correct. At least, I do play it correctly - laugh
standready
I will be back out with the 'madman' for 2 more shows in early September, final 2 shows of this tour it seems.
This Friday/Saturday night I will be working with a Supertramp tribute band. Keyboards and some vocals. I have worked with Trampled before and I really enjoy it.
standready
Finished the last two dates on their tour. Both nights went very well. 'madman' voice was showing the signs of wear that a six month almost no break tour can do to a voice. He was very happy to have someone else carry the majority of the vocals.
standready
Greetings from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Getting ready for Sammy Haggar's Birthday Bash tomorrow. It is going to be a crazy and fun bash - first of three bashes actually. I can't wait to see who drops in.
BTW: another birthday shout out to my friend, Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon) today!
deanhills
How are things music wise? Any tours planned for 2012? Smile
standready
deanhills wrote:
How are things music wise? Any tours planned for 2012? Smile

No tours planned. I have been filling in on occasion providing piano music at a restaurant for the evening. Nice, I don't have to sing. laugh!
Doing some composing. On a dare/challenge, I am trying to learn to play the Xylophone! Popcorn anyone?
standready
Update: I will be doing a few shows with the 'madman' this summer for fun. He has teamed up for this tour with two other bands which shortens sets and load.
Also, doing a show in May that is being student produced for the local PBS to aire. Everything (lights, sound, engineering, etc) is done by students studying broadcasting.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Update: I will be doing a few shows with the 'madman' this summer for fun. He has teamed up for this tour with two other bands which shortens sets and load.
Also, doing a show in May that is being student produced for the local PBS to aire. Everything (lights, sound, engineering, etc) is done by students studying broadcasting.
GREAT! We're on the road again. Looking forward to shared experiences this summer! Cool
standready
Spend yesterday securing rights to perform some songs at the May show.

June and July dates with 'madman' confirmed.
deanhills
That sounds like it's dead certain to happen now! Are you looking forward to it?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Are you looking forward to it?

The show in May, I am having doubts about. It is a 'me, myself and I' show for the first 90 minutes then another 90 minutes with old friends.

'madman' shows, bring them on!
deanhills
Right. It's important to go wild from time to time. Let the inhibitions fly out the window so the creativity can come out. Are you taking Mad Kitty with? Twisted Evil
standready
standready wrote:
Spend yesterday securing rights to perform some songs at the May show.

Less than a month to date. Finally received last confirmation. Most want copy to hear how bad I do. Working on set list now. Trying to make it a night I can handle. Most difficult for me will be singing while playing the drums on one song. I have not even started practicing most songs yet.
deanhills
Definitely something to look forward to! Lots of hard work I can imagine. And nursing your vocal chords.
standready
deanhills wrote:
And nursing your vocal chords.

So true. Also, I have new lyrics I am putting to music that I would like to do that night. Still sorting out the set list to give my vocal chords the best chance. In my solo portion, I can easily break up by doing an instrumental piece or two then some with vocals. Group portion of the night, I sing everything so sorting easy vocal pieces verses hard.
standready
Friday night, subbed at restaurant playing piano music for the night. May student produced show one week away. Will try Xylophone 'Popcorn' sometime that night to finish my challenge/dare. Bets are still
on!Don't know when I and my friends will get some practice time before Friday. Probably end up going at it cold.
lockwoodman
I love being on the road. Always fun.
standready
The student produced show was last night. Some glitches as expected primary lights not being on correct person(s). Arrived three early to do sound check and go over schedule/timing. Then finally took some time to practice a little with my old friends. Went like we had been playing together for years.

Interesting note: Since first part of the night was solo. We had the piano setup extreme stage left. Sweet baby grand complete with candelabra Also, had my acoustic guitar and stand there. Rest of the instruments were 'pushed' slightly to the right. This made for a rather usual time during group portion.

All in all, the show went well and the audience enjoyed the show. I can't wait to get my uncut DVD of the night. I don't know when the local PBS will air it. I know it will be 'cut' since it was 3 hours.

Tonight, going to see Chickenfoot!!! An early 'Happy Mother's Day' to all the moms.
standready
Well, in June did 5 shows with the 'madman' even did a few numbers with Kev and crew. Shows went well. 2 more shows with the 'madman' in July.
Received the edited for PBS version of the student produced show. Compared with uncut version. I am impressed by their work but not my performance. I could have been better.
deanhills
I totally missed this during June. Darn! Well at least I'll watch out for it now during July.

One good thing about those videos, is they do serve as an education of sorts. Quite an eye-opener to see oneself in action.
Very Happy
standready
I did not post about each show in June individually, Dean. They were more for fun than last year. Last year's mini-tour was a trail for possible permanent spot.
May show not the first time I had video. Plus, I almost always record audio especially with 'madman' to review.
deanhills
standready wrote:
May show not the first time I had video. Plus, I almost always record audio especially with 'madman' to review.
OK. I get it. So there must have been shows that you had been happy with your performance.
standready
deanhills wrote:
So there must have been shows that you had been happy with your performance.

Yes, I have been happy with many of my 'performances' including this show but always spot things that could have 'better'.
standready
Guess I should catch this post up to current.
Ended doing 3 shows instead of 2 in July with the 'madman'. All went very well. Possibly more in the fall.
Tomorrow, I start a stint as studio 'sessions' musician playing keyboards.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Guess I should catch this post up to current.
Ended doing 3 shows instead of 2 in July with the 'madman'. All went very well. Possibly more in the fall.
Tomorrow, I start a stint as studio 'sessions' musician playing keyboards.
Aha. Easing up on vocals? Was unaware you were an expert on keyboards as well.
standready
Dean, from my original post:
standready wrote:
I would rather just play keyboards and do some backing vocals for some band than be out front, singing.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy singing but I know that my voice can't hold out to a tour schedule so true after last year's mini-tour. Besides, I like hiding behind my keyboards! laugh
Being in the studio working with friends on their new album has been interesting.
standready
standready wrote:

The local PBS station aired the show last night in prime time slot as part of their pledge drive. The numbers I received this morning looked positive. People becoming members of the station at a certain dollar level during the program will get a DVD of the complete show.
Station is also rebroadcasting the show a couple of more times in different time slots over the next week or so of their membership drive.
deanhills
Missed this post .... sorry about that. Sounds as though you re doing very well. Didn't realize PBS had a radio station as well.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Missed this post .... sorry about that. Sounds as though you re doing very well. Didn't realize PBS had a radio station as well.

I missed your post too! laugh
PBS does not have radio stations that I know. This was on TV!

Anyway to get caught up - brought my crew up to my area to open for a 'has been' band last Saturday. ('Has been' define as super group/artist that has not released new material for a while so are playing smaller venues on old stuff - Madman fits this category) First time in a while that I have played this close to home. Audience made no bones about who they came too see. Rough night!
New Year's Eve found me in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico again doing a 90 minute solo set and then jamming with others.
Tonight, the crew and I are doing are a show that postponed a week ago due snow.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I missed your post too! laugh
PBS does not have radio stations that I know. This was on TV!

Anyway to get caught up - brought my crew up to my area to open for a 'has been' band last Saturday. ('Has been' define as super group/artist that has not released new material for a while so are playing smaller venues on old stuff - Madman fits this category) First time in a while that I have played this close to home. Audience made no bones about who they came too see. Rough night!
New Year's Eve found me in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico again doing a 90 minute solo set and then jamming with others.
Tonight, the crew and I are doing are a show that postponed a week ago due snow.
Aha ... this sounds like good stuff Stand. You're doing what you love doing and have been to Mexico ..... cool! How was the reception there?

Did the "rough night" have a good ending?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Mexico ... cool! How was the reception there?
Did the "rough night" have a good ending?

I always get a warm reception in Cabo!
The rough night was rough. Tommy was standing off stage laughing so I decided to do one of their 'early' songs. As we started the song, I looked over at the group and said "feel free to join in guys". All except Tommy came out and joined in on vocals. Audience settled down for the remainder.
Last night's show was extremely well received.
standready
It has been very long time since I updated this so (deep breath) here goes.
Filled in for Johnathan on the first night of the 2013 world tour because he was recovering from the flu. Attended two of their shows last week.
Finally was able to finish the studio work for Bob early spring. Many delays and Hurricane Sandy had cut access to the Jon's studio.
Did a couple of shows as 'madman's vocalist and up on stage with Johnathan, Kevin, Jon, Bob, Joe, Sammy, John and even Tommy had me join in on a few tunes.
Still writing as well. Jon has offer produced my stuff in his studio.
standready
I wrote three quick lines for the chorus of a song and then got stuck. I showed to one person that I have been kinda 'ghost writing' with and he took those lines and gave me an large advance on royalties. Told me that I will love it when done.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I wrote three quick lines for the chorus of a song and then got stuck. I showed to one person that I have been kinda 'ghost writing' with and he took those lines and gave me an large advance on royalties. Told me that I will love it when done.
WOW! That rocks. Didn't know that you could write music as well. Exciting stuff for sure! Dying to know what he's going to do with it.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Dying to know what he's going to do with it.

I can't wait either, Dean. Did you read my post before that one? It was to catch up on the year.
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Dying to know what he's going to do with it.

I can't wait either, Dean. Did you read my post before that one? It was to catch up on the year.
Indeed I had. Any new developments?
standready
deanhills wrote:
Indeed I had. Any new developments?

28th annual barn party blowout is next Saturday (10/12). New location this year to try and keep attendance from getting out of hand. By invite only does not stop them.
Just several old local area bands that get back together to do a show for our dear old friends that supported our efforts. Most of these bands only play together this one time for the year.
standready
After the devastating storms tore through the US midwest on November 17th - comes Rock to the rescue
http://www.uscellularcoliseum.com/calendar-of-events/243-rock-to-the-rescue-featuring-styx-reo-speedwagon-and-friends/
see you on December 4th!
standready
Darn I hate when I hit a mental block in the middle of writing of song. Especially since I want (make that need) to preform it at the December 4th show. Going to try to get Kevin, JY and Jim to help tomorrow.
standready
Today I dug out an old book to help me get back to center with my keyboards. The Virtuoso Pianist by Charles-Louis Hanon.
I forgot how painfully good these exercises are! I only worked my way through the first ten correctly today. You can find listening samples here: http://www.hanon-online.com/all-piano-exercises/
standready
It was Cabo again for New Year's Eve. Had a great time as always.
One somewhat bad thing:
I hate people using their phones to capture video. Especially then posting on web. It has once again caused me emotions. I received a nice email from Paul about my cover saying I did it very well but also informing me it has been removed from the web for copyright infringement.
People, if you are going to post something I perform, kindly make it one of my originals then at least I control whether it stays available.
standready
Not really on the road.
I have been approached by a producer to provide songs for a TV show that will be similar I guess to 1992's "The Heights". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heights_(TV_series) I did enjoy that short lived show.
Everything is in preliminary stages.
watersoul
Sounds like a pretty cool approach to have available for further investigation.
Hope it pans out good, keep us posted Smile
johans
standready wrote:
Not really on the road.
I have been approached by a producer to provide songs for a TV show that will be similar I guess to 1992's "The Heights". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heights_(TV_series) I did enjoy that short lived show.
Everything is in preliminary stages.

nice news update in there.

Is this means on the road again going to success? I hope so, that everybody goal.

Me, my scarcest nightmare would be on the road again and depend on my mother and father so as much as possible right now i need to find another source of income such as putting up a new business.
standready
johans wrote:
Is this means on the road again going to success?

Well I certainly won't be on the show if it happens. I have the perfect face for radio not TV.
Producer would not say who he was pitching the idea to. I do have the season 1 build concept to review. Looks interesting. Picking out songs to try to follow concept.
standready
Well darn, been a while since I updated this. Still no word on above TV show but I have my doubts it will make the fall season anyway.
I have been out with Bob back in April. Bob wished he had that show recorded because he liked my keyboard styling.
Filled in for Jonathan a couple times since last post for various sad reasons. Worked with a former Cougar one night.
May be out with the 'madman' for a few shows in July. Kevin wants me to jam with him when they are nearby this summer.
standready
Geez, been a while since I posted an update. Show apparently died. I have been out with the 'madman' a couple of shows. Good to see Derek back! Opened for Kevin once this summer and jammed with him. Bob wants me to do another show with him before year's end.
Last night was rehearsals for two shows as vocals with some new/old friends. Going to be 'bad'. At least we are playing at my old stomping grounds. SOLD OUT!
standready
OK, I have become infatuated with a woman so I asked her to come to the Saturday night show. I found a song that fits our situation since I am to stressed at the moment to complete my own. Quickly dropped an email to the songwriters explaining why I wanted permission to perform the song. Surprisingly, I got a response with the usual request of a copy of the performance. So I worked out a version on my piano only to realize that I won't have a piano on stage. Doh! So I picked up my 12 string acoustic guitar and modified their acoustic version for my 12 string.
standready
Both Friday and Saturday shows went very well. I had a great time and my voice held up. As for the 'song', she could not come but did the song anyway and will show the video. Already sent copy to the songwriters.
standready
I guess I impress the songwriters because they want me to do the song with them on their last stop of the year. They are even going to cover all expenses! Now I am scared!
standready
^^^^ Did the one song in early December. Was also out with Bob for a night.
Off to Cabo for another New Year's Eve show with friends.
standready
Cabo was great! Coming home to do a New Year's evening show was hard travel but fun then another show tonight 150 miles away from home.