FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rights for gorillas?

Josso
I mean... if taught properly gorillas have the IQ of say a youngish human child. I don't think enough people are aware of this fact, they have feelings just like us - I'm not actually aware of the hunting rules these days, anyone here know? I'm guessing it's illegal in most places... but I would say go further than that, I think it's fair that they would have some rights. I'm not sure what exactly, but just like basic human rights.
Insanity
Pretty sure it's illegal to hunt gorillas -- can't imagine why people would allow such a thing, as they aren't as common as birds and whatnot.
Ankhanu
Ethics and rights are constantly shifting, more often than not to be more inclusive and less exclusive. In most advanced cultures/societies, animals are given ethical consideration to greater or lesser degree, and complex animals like gorillas often get greater consideration than less mentally/emotionally complex animals. The ethical considerations offered other animals will (likely) only increase as time goes on.

Yes, gorillas are protected species and any hunting is generally illegal.

Insanity wrote:
... they aren't as common as birds and whatnot.

That really depends on the bird.
They're far more common than, say, California condors.
Hello_World
I think so. But what rights? Which types of gorillas/monkeys? What of other animals?
deanhills
Hello_World wrote:
What of other animals?
Good question - birds, fish and sea mammals as well.

We had a thread in the General Chat Forum last year about the river dolphins in the Amazon river coming to an end. So much is up for extinction. Yet people are still slaughtering animals, sea mammals and fish and there is less and less place for birds to roam around.
Josso
Yes, I think this applies to dolphins and anything we consider sentient.

Quote:
Pretty sure it's illegal to hunt gorillas -- can't imagine why people would allow such a thing, as they aren't as common as birds and whatnot.

Well back in the days, I think their skin can be used for coats, furniture etc AND you can eat them. Some people did actually rely on it as a form of income, but their numbers are in the few.
jwellsy
Animal species have a basic right to responsible stewardship by humans.
I would be opposed to individual animal rights. If you want to go down that rabbit trail, why would only mammals have rights, why not all flora, fauna and inanimate objects too.
deanhills
Back to the gorillas, looks as though their species are really threatened. Scientists are giving them twenty years. I caught this with half an ear on the news tonight - Al Jazeera International.
Hello_World
Orangatans are in trouble too with their small habitat.

It shames humankind to lose animals such as these.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
Animal species have a basic right to responsible stewardship by humans.
I would be opposed to individual animal rights. If you want to go down that rabbit trail, why would only mammals have rights, why not all flora, fauna and inanimate objects too.

Oh, by all means, do go down that rabbit trail. ^.^

It forces you to develop a coherent and precise selection of what has rights and what doesn't. Sure, that takes a lot of effort, but it's worth it.