FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Its better to eat with....?

shivaghimire
Mainly focused on eating, we have got hands to eat. But we use spoon, chopsticks direct hands and so on to eat. But I want to ask you which you prefer, and why?
Mostly I use spoon because its safe than my direct hand from bacteria and virus. I don't have knowledge of using chopsticks. But I feel good taste with my hands.
Eating with direct hand is common in south Asian countries and in Africa. Anyway which you prefer is my question.
speeDemon
I think it's not always an option. In countries like India, we have all kinds of preparations. Ever heard of chapattis? I dare you to eat them with a knife and fork! and then there are pranthas, dosas, and the list goes on. Thus it's not always about preference due to hygiene, it may be due to ease of eating as well..

On the other hand, we do have an option when it comes to things like rice. Many Indians prefer to eat rice by their hands instead of using a spoon, but considering the ease of being able to eat rice with a spoon (equivalent to that, by hand) many people(including me) eat rice using spoons.

So I can't really say that I eat only by hand or by spoon/knife/fork, but I guess when you talk about the possibility of using a spoon in the picture, then I'd prefer using it.

Some people's choices is also determined by where they're eating food, like if they're eating a pizza in dominoes, then they'll use a knife and fork, and try to be as sophisticated as possible, but when they're eating it at home, they use their hands and get down and dirty!
deanhills
I was taught to use a knife and a fork, but when my friends and I eat Chinese food we try Chop sticks. I'm not as good as I should be with it. But it is part of the fun. For soup I prefer a soup spoon. With regard to chapattis, I really don't like messiness with getting hands dirty, so I prefer to eat the curry with the chapatti with a knife and fork. I rarely eat chapatti though, I prefer rice and my preference is to eat rice with curry with a fork only. Appam is one of my favourites and I also prefer to eat it with a knife and fork. With curry. I'm not much of a dosa person, but one probably won't have much of a choice with eating the dosa by hand. I use it to scoop up the curry, and then eat some of it with a fork or a spoon as well.

In the end I don't think it is such a big deal. One should eat with whatever is most comfortable. In South Africa I used to attend formal dinners with at least four courses where you had to know all the utensils, it was quite a thrill to get those right with the first dinners. I used to watch what others do. I was quite amused one day when we were visiting someone in the mink and manure belt of Johannesburg, and the lady of the house and some of her guests were eating grapes with a small knife and fork. That was a real classic for me.
cybersa
I'm from South Asia(India).
We always use direct hands to eat many types of foods.
But sometimes we use Spoons if it is needed.
I always like and prefer to use direct hands. Smile
Helios
Well in Israel it's quite common to use forks, knives and spoons. However there are some foods (like Hummus) which are traditionally eaten using hands. Of course fast food is also commonly eaten using the hands.

I prefer using a fork and a knife, even when I go to eat a burger. I'm just used to it and I don't see a reason to eat with my hands and get them dirty (or the food dirty!).
Insanity
Chopsticks are great, but they don't help much with soup and the like. It also requires a bowl if you're eating rice, otherwise it's a pain to pick up grains of rice with your chopsticks, unless it's super sticky rice like sushi rice. I think they are a very precise tool. Eating with your hands seems to be the easiest, but lacks some of the delicacy that is in a fork and chopsticks and other utensils.
Ankhanu
I generally use a fork/knife (unless a spoon is necessary), but I eat with chopsticks now and again (Asian foods, or, just randomly), and some things demand to be eaten by hand Razz
loremar
Most Filipinos prefer to eat with hands, I think. I prefer to eat with spoon and fork.
cresvale
I like chopsticks. because it makes me smarter if I use it more. Smile
loremar
cresvale wrote:
I like chopsticks. because it makes me smarter if I use it more. Smile

Really? Damn, I better go learn how to use some chopsticks.
Nameless
My mouth.

Serious answer: Whichever is physically easiest. Eating hot spaghetti with fingers is difficult, eating a sandwich with a knife and fork is just arduous.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
eating a sandwich with a knife and fork is just arduous.
Depends on what is in the sandwich. If it is a bacon and egg sandwich, I prefer a knife and fork. But for a standard peanut butter and jam sandwich (yuck!) hands will probably be OK. I can't remember last when I had a sandwich though.
Very Happy
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
Depends on what is in the sandwich.

When I still lived with my parents, I used to eat fairly large salad sandwiches. My rule of thumb for them was that if gratings of carrot and lettuce weren't sticking to my arms by from the assorted juice and mayonaise dripping down them by the end of it, then it wasn't a good enough sandwich. Very Happy
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Depends on what is in the sandwich.

When I still lived with my parents, I used to eat fairly large salad sandwiches. My rule of thumb for them was that if gratings of carrot and lettuce weren't sticking to my arms by from the assorted juice and mayonaise dripping down them by the end of it, then it wasn't a good enough sandwich. Very Happy
I remember those when I was still in South Africa. My mom used to make them particularly when we were travelling and she really did a good job of it as well. That really brings memories back. I also remember that I did not mind the stuff oozing out at all.
sudipbanerjee
I am from India and I always prefer eating food with direct hands. It is ease to eat. For hygienic purpose I always wash hands with soap before eating
Arty
Different utensils for different foods
lovescience
With food that is too hot or too cold, hot soup or ice cream, better use tool, any tool that is okay to put in mouth and able to take the food.
deanhills
samuelarnold wrote:
then again... there is spaghetti...
Right. I remember when I was a kid I used to love to eat those with my hands. Particularly if you could manage to get a really long strand out of it. We had great fun with those.
Very Happy
congra
in our country , we usually use chopsticks, it's a part of our eating,we couldn't leave it. sometimes,we both will use spoon together.
_AVG_
Personally, I prefer to eat with my bare hands ... it gives you a sense of freedom ... and also, you get to lick your hands afterwards Very Happy
missdixy
speeDemon wrote:
Some people's choices is also determined by where they're eating food, like if they're eating a pizza in dominoes, then they'll use a knife and fork, and try to be as sophisticated as possible, but when they're eating it at home, they use their hands and get down and dirty!

Wait wait waitt what!!!? Some people eat pizza with a fork and knife??? That is outrageous!! Hehe.
loremar
He must be kidding.