FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ebooks 4 download

akshar
where will i get some small but recent literature. i have already visited gutenberg.org but it contains only old books. I want some recent stuuf though i dont expect to get harry potter online.
Pushpull
I have always wondered if e-books would be a success or not in the future...
As far as I'm concerned, I don't feel like reading a book on a computer screen, I really need to have the book in my hands... May because I'm too old ? lol... However if I find some links, I will post them here.
pldunbaracademicteam
yea i dont like reading books on a computer screen. its convenient but can get boring very quickly. i would much prefer just sittin in a nice quiet room reading a book i can hold.
kuad
You'd have to pay to get ebooks legally. Having never done so I don't know how you'd go about it.

Personally I don't like reading slabs of text on a computer screen because it is straining on the eyes, although it is necessary sometimes. If I want to read a book I'd rather borrow it from a library or buy it if I really wanted it that badly.
smallcalf
I love reading ebook from my university online library. Dont have to carry heavy book, dont have to go there, no worry about due date.
But, it's limited.
I use cable internet so speed is not my problem.
But I hate webdesign of the online library. You must click <<next>> to goto next page. I like something that use the keyboard.

The waterfall plunges in mist. Who can describe this desolate scene:

the long white river sliding through, the emerald shadows of the ancient canopy

...a shepherd's horn echoing on the valley, fishnets stretched to dry on sandy flats.

A bell is tolling, fading, fading, just like love. Only poetry lasts
KungFuChris
I've read a few e-books and enjoyed them well enough, but I don't think I could ever do it with a book I was particularly bothered about reading. It's certainly a lot nicer to not be constrained to sitting up at your computer to read, such as being in bed. Very Happy

I've wondered, though, what it would be like to read books on something similar to a PDA, as that might offer the same conveniences.
tidruG
Please be careful about requesting for sites that host e-books. Most of these sites have illegal pirated versions of the books and are illegal. So if anyone is posting any links in this thread, please make sure your source is legal, and the books (if free) are really free for download/online viewing.
araujosam
I'm looking for ebooks to download...
Do you know some URLs???
kany
Well what do you mean by ebooks . Its a never ending area. So be specific about what book you want and if its legally available then you can download it.
lycadia
http://esspc-ebooks.com/all.asp

http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw;jsessionid=HEB3DFyfjVhJOqb+vFPt8fSQrjc?a=rewrite&url=/ebooks/freebooks.htm

http://www.blackmask.com/

http://www.readprint.com/

http://www.theorderoftime.com/cyber/to/l-file/ebooks-lz.html

http://manybooks.net/

To the best of my knowledge all of the books on all of these sites (except where indicated by the site, one of them sells ebooks but has a large sections of free ebooks which is why I included it) are either legally being distributed freely because the copyright has lapsed or because the author is willingly permitting them to be distributed for free. It's important to note that you may or may not be pleased with these offerings, since you said you were looking for something new. However, if I recall correctly, the current copyright laws in America at least, stand for 70 years after the death of the author before works pass into the public domain.

As to reading ebooks with a PDA, I do it daily and consider that alone to have been worth the price of the PDA. In fact, part of the reason I'm considering buying a tablet or convertable style portable computer over a standard laptop design is because it would give me a bigger "page" to read my ebooks on. With my PDA and storage card, I have have dozens and dozens of books on hand and put in digital books marks, hightlights or notations easily. I LOVE it!

I hope this is some help to you. Thanks for reading.
Olivia Wood
Does anybody know where I can get a free ebook/etext English translation of Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin contre Hermlock Shears? (The original name was altered for copyright purposes - it's fanfiction at it's earliest! Wink )

I know it's legal 'cause I've read a bunch of his other books on Guttenburg, and Arsene Lupin's fairly popular in France, so I don't think the original text would be that hard to come by.... Too bad I don't read French, eh?

If you've never heard of Maurice LeBlanc, you should check out what they have at Guttenburg. Mostly he wrote a bunch of short stories, and they're all fairly entertaining. The first one's Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Burglar. It's like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. Laughing
lycadia
Olivia Wood wrote:
Does anybody know where I can get a free ebook/etext English translation of Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin contre Hermlock Shears? (The original name was altered for copyright purposes - it's fanfiction at it's earliest! Wink )

I know it's legal 'cause I've read a bunch of his other books on Guttenburg, and Arsene Lupin's fairly popular in France, so I don't think the original text would be that hard to come by.... Too bad I don't read French, eh?

If you've never heard of Maurice LeBlanc, you should check out what they have at Guttenburg. Mostly he wrote a bunch of short stories, and they're all fairly entertaining. The first one's Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Burglar. It's like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. Laughing

While I might be mistaken, I'm under the impression based on my attempts to find a particular translation of Dante's Inferno, translations can be copyrighted seperately by the translator and thus, might well remain out of the public domain longer than the original.

What I can tell you is that I spent a little over an hour looking and could only find an english copy on Amazon. Of course, searching for the title in French might have been part of it. If I come across one, I'll post it, but I suspect the only published translation is still under copyright.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
akshar
Iam not expecting harry potter to be online I just want some timepass.
Secondly 4 me 2 reading books on Comp screen is baring but spending Rs 200 for a book is also painfull probably more painfull that Getting hurting eyes
gaudi
I like to read e-books with my Pocket PC
with my e-book application the text automaticly
scrolls down.
This is very nice for me.
JoseRizal
to kungfuchris: i'm with you man, i can't stand reading an ebook sitting upright in front of my pc.
using a pda is the ticket - lying down, letting the machine "flip" the pages for you (it scrolls, actually, but you get my point).

i can't wait for an ebook reader that has the capability to read out the text to you in a nice soft female voice. then i won't even need to hold my pda.

i know there are audiobooks - but they take up space as compared to a text-based ebook.